Modem trouble - Networking

This is a discussion on Modem trouble - Networking ; I'm having trouble using my US Robotics external serial port modem with Ubuntu Linux 7.10. It automatically logs me on to the internet if the phone line is available when I boot Ubuntu 7.10 without being told, even as I ...

  1. Modem trouble

    I'm having trouble using my US Robotics external serial port modem with
    Ubuntu Linux 7.10.

    It automatically logs me on to the internet if the phone line is
    available when I boot Ubuntu 7.10 without being told, even as I am
    logging in.

    When I first set up the modem I used the Gnome nm-applet (double-monitor
    icon on top panel) to configure it. This applet also has commands to log
    online and off. Everything worked just fine.

    But after misc. changes to my system (new software mostly) now I get the
    self-sign on mentioned earlier and the Gnome mn-applet log on doesn't
    work if I plug in the phone line after looging in. However, if I let the
    system log itself on the mn log off works, then subsequently the log on
    works.

    When on line, I can't find information anywhere that says I'm on line,
    connection speed, etc. as Windows DUN does.

    I enabled the Gnome Modem Monitor applet which is supposed to give modem
    info - speed, on line, etc. and fake modem lights. It doesn't work at
    all. Just has a connection error message.

    I Googled and read about Gnome-ppp to manage the modem. I DLed it and
    configured it exactly the same as the mn-applet. It doesn't work. I click
    on Connect and it doesn't even try.

    I'm about to give up on Linux. I asked in the Ubuntu newsgroup but got
    nothing helpful.

    I suspect no one here has any guesses - to most, modems are obsolete.

    TIA

    Ken

  2. Re: Modem trouble

    Ken wrote:
    > I'm having trouble using my US Robotics external serial port modem with
    > Ubuntu Linux 7.10.

    > It automatically logs me on to the internet if the phone line is
    > available when I boot Ubuntu 7.10 without being told, even as I am
    > logging in.

    > When I first set up the modem I used the Gnome nm-applet (double-monitor
    > icon on top panel) to configure it. This applet also has commands to log
    > online and off. Everything worked just fine.

    > But after misc. changes to my system (new software mostly) now I get the
    > self-sign on mentioned earlier and the Gnome mn-applet log on doesn't
    > work if I plug in the phone line after looging in. However, if I let the
    > system log itself on the mn log off works, then subsequently the log on
    > works.

    It seems that somewhere along the way some automagic configuration
    decided that you should be connected on boot-up. After boot look for a
    pppd pid file such as the one here, /var/run/ppp0.pid. Doing "pidof pppd"
    will show pppd's pid if pppd is running and it should be the same as what
    "cat /var/run/ppp0.pid" shows. "killall pppd" will terminate a stuck
    pppd and perhaps allow nm to work. If a stuck pppd is the problem then
    "ps auwx|grep pppd" should show the process and might be informative.

    There should be some connection information in a log or logs, here
    it's found in /var/log/messages and other system log files in the same
    directory are syslog and debug. YMMV, and probably does. Try doing
    "grep -Irs pppd /etc|less" and see what comes up. You really need to
    find out what is bringing up pppd on boot-up and then figure out how to
    stop it from doing so.

    By now it should be no surprise that I'm not a Ubuntu user nor a fan of
    desktops so that's about all the advice that seems useful to give unless
    you show some interest in more.

    Cheers-
    --
    Clifford Kite
    /* Speak softly and carry a +6 two-handed sword. */

  3. Re: Modem trouble

    Clifford Kite wrote in

    > Ken wrote:
    >> I'm having trouble using my US Robotics external serial port modem
    >> with Ubuntu Linux 7.10.

    >> It automatically logs me on to the internet if the phone line is
    >> available when I boot Ubuntu 7.10 without being told, even as I am
    >> logging in.

    >> When I first set up the modem I used the Gnome nm-applet
    >> (double-monitor icon on top panel) to configure it. This applet also
    >> has commands to log online and off. Everything worked just fine.

    >> But after misc. changes to my system (new software mostly) now I get
    >> the self-sign on mentioned earlier and the Gnome mn-applet log on
    >> doesn't work if I plug in the phone line after looging in. However,
    >> if I let the system log itself on the mn log off works, then
    >> subsequently the log on works.

    > It seems that somewhere along the way some automagic configuration
    > decided that you should be connected on boot-up. After boot look for
    > a pppd pid file such as the one here, /var/run/ppp0.pid. Doing "pidof
    > pppd" will show pppd's pid if pppd is running and it should be the
    > same as what "cat /var/run/ppp0.pid" shows.

    Yes.

    > "killall pppd" will
    > terminate a stuck pppd and perhaps allow nm to work. If a stuck pppd
    > is the problem then "ps auwx|grep pppd" should show the process and
    > might be informative.
    >
    > There should be some connection information in a log or logs, here
    > it's found in /var/log/messages and other system log files in the same
    > directory are syslog and debug.

    dhcdbd Started up
    dhcdbd message_handler: message handler not found ...
    kernel [ 52,798366] NET: registered protocol family 17
    chat [4230] ATDT 5970568 ^M^M

    Excuse typos, if any. Copied from notes. The problem seens to start in
    the fourth line. What's this 'chat'?

    > YMMV, and probably does. Try doing
    > "grep -Irs pppd /etc|less" and see what comes up.

    /etc/init.d/pppd-dns
    /etc/apm/event.d/ppp
    /etc/reSd/S55pppd.d-dns
    /etc/skel/Examples/Experience ubuntu.ogg
    /etc/readahead/boot
    /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/0dns-up
    /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/0000usepeerdns
    /etc/ppp/ip-down.d/0000usepeerdns
    /etc/options
    /etc/pppoe_on_boot
    /etc/ppp/peers/provider
    /etc/ppp/ipv6-up
    /etc/ppp/ip-up
    /etc/ppp/ip-down
    /etc/ppp/login.defs
    /etc/ppp/chatscripts/pap

    > You really need to
    > find out what is bringing up pppd on boot-up and then figure out how
    > to stop it from doing so.
    >
    > By now it should be no surprise that I'm not a Ubuntu user nor a fan
    > of desktops so that's about all the advice that seems useful to give
    > unless you show some interest in more.
    >
    > Cheers-

    TIA

    Ken

  4. Re: Modem trouble

    Ken wrote:
    > Clifford Kite wrote in
    >>
    >> There should be some connection information in a log or logs, here
    >> it's found in /var/log/messages and other system log files in the same
    >> directory are syslog and debug.

    > dhcdbd Started up
    > dhcdbd message_handler: message handler not found ...

    I'm clueless as to what dhcdbd does.

    > kernel [ 52,798366] NET: registered protocol family 17
    > chat [4230] ATDT 5970568 ^M^M

    > Excuse typos, if any. Copied from notes. The problem seens to start in
    > the fourth line. What's this 'chat'?

    It's the program that comes in the pppd package and when used in a script
    launched with the pppd "connect" option it is responsible for the modem
    connection. I can't see anything wrong with the line although if that's
    all there in the log is then it's not much. The line shows chat sending
    the modem dialing sequence ATDT followed by the phone number and two
    carriage-returns.

    >> YMMV, and probably does. Try doing
    >> "grep -Irs pppd /etc|less" and see what comes up.

    > /etc/init.d/pppd-dns
    > /etc/apm/event.d/ppp
    > /etc/reSd/S55pppd.d-dns
    > /etc/skel/Examples/Experience ubuntu.ogg
    > /etc/readahead/boot

    This "boot" might be a part of the boot process but that is only a guess.
    It should be a script so you can look at it with less. If it is part
    of the automated boot sequence for pppd then it is likely called by some
    other script in whatever place Ubuntu keeps basic boot scripts.

    > /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/0dns-up
    > /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/0000usepeerdns
    > /etc/ppp/ip-down.d/0000usepeerdns
    > /etc/options
    > /etc/pppoe_on_boot
    > /etc/ppp/peers/provider
    > /etc/ppp/ipv6-up
    > /etc/ppp/ip-up
    > /etc/ppp/ip-down
    > /etc/ppp/login.defs
    > /etc/ppp/chatscripts/pap

    None of the other files seem likely to be directly related to the boot
    problem.

    You can get a detailed pppd/chat log with this recipe:

    Add the line

    daemon.*;local2.* /var/log/ppp.log

    to /etc/syslog.conf, do "killall -HUP syslogd" to get syslogd to reread
    that file, and temporarily add the pppd option debug to /etc/ppp/options.

    I'm not sure it will help since the real problem is to find a way to
    stop the boot process from establishing a connection.

    Maybe there is a Ubuntu forum that could help?

    Cheers-
    --
    Clifford Kite
    /* Slogan appropriate for a certain well-known software company:

+ Reply to Thread