trouble of several of connections - Networking

This is a discussion on trouble of several of connections - Networking ; Hi to All, I have the notebook. I move periodically between two houses. There is an adsl in the first and a gprs in the second. Connections are catering different providers. Consequently they use different dns servers. The notebook has ...

  1. trouble of several of connections

    Hi to All,

    I have the notebook. I move periodically between two houses. There is an
    adsl in the first and a gprs in the second. Connections are catering
    different providers. Consequently they use different dns servers.
    The notebook has two versions of the resolv.conf for every a chance.
    I want to ask about that can I join these files to one or must I use one
    dns server.

    Daneel

  2. Re: trouble of several of connections

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 22:09:14 +0400, Daneel Yaitskov wrote:

    > I have the notebook. I move periodically between two houses. There is an
    > adsl in the first and a gprs in the second. Connections are catering
    > different providers. Consequently they use different dns servers.
    > The notebook has two versions of the resolv.conf for every a chance.
    > I want to ask about that can I join these files to one or must I use one
    > dns server.

    If both locations have DHCP servers then configure your system to use DHCP.
    That is the easiest solution and the best since your default route is also
    then configured properly and you are certain that your self-assigned IP
    address does not conflict with any other on either network.

    Otherwise you need to create two /etc/resolv.conf.lanX files and symlink
    /etc/resolv.conf to the appropriate one at each location.

+ Reply to Thread