MTU - Networking

This is a discussion on MTU - Networking ; Hi all, The Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) is a parameter that determines the largest datagram than can be transmitted by an IP interface (without it needing to be broken down into smaller units). The MTU should be larger than the ...

  1. MTU

    Hi all,

    The Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) is a parameter that determines
    the largest datagram than can be transmitted by an IP interface
    (without it needing to be broken down into smaller units). The MTU
    should be larger than the largest datagram you wish to transmit
    unfragmented. Note: this only prevents fragmentation locally. Some
    other link in the path may have a smaller MTU: the datagram will be
    fragmented at that point. Typical values are 1500 bytes for an
    ethernet interface, or 576 bytes for a SLIP interface.

    this is the correct definition of MTU isn't it ....?????

  2. Re: MTU

    aarklon@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > The Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) is a parameter that determines
    > the largest datagram than can be transmitted by an IP interface
    > (without it needing to be broken down into smaller units). The MTU
    > should be larger than the largest datagram you wish to transmit
    > unfragmented. Note: this only prevents fragmentation locally. Some
    > other link in the path may have a smaller MTU: the datagram will be
    > fragmented at that point. Typical values are 1500 bytes for an
    > ethernet interface, or 576 bytes for a SLIP interface.
    >
    > this is the correct definition of MTU isn't it ....?????

    "larger than the largest datagram you wish to transmit" kind of implies
    that you have some choice in the matter. I'd just edit your first sentence:

    The Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) is the largest packet than can be
    transmitted by an interface without it needing to be broken into smaller
    units.

  3. Re: MTU

    On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 08:33:53 -0700 (PDT), aarklon@gmail.com wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    > The Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) is a parameter that determines
    >the largest datagram than can be transmitted by an IP interface
    >(without it needing to be broken down into smaller units). The MTU
    >should be larger than the largest datagram you wish to transmit
    >unfragmented. Note: this only prevents fragmentation locally. Some
    >other link in the path may have a smaller MTU: the datagram will be
    >fragmented at that point. Typical values are 1500 bytes for an
    >ethernet interface, or 576 bytes for a SLIP interface.
    >
    >this is the correct definition of MTU isn't it ....?????

    See: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk17...80093bc7.shtml

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/