redhat can't see network card on MSI K9NGM4 V2 - Networking

This is a discussion on redhat can't see network card on MSI K9NGM4 V2 - Networking ; Hi Its enabled in the bios, but despite trying to I can't even get it to see this is it possible, or should I just use another card? thanks See Ya (when bandwidth gets better ;-) Chris Eastwood Photographer, Programmer ...

  1. redhat can't see network card on MSI K9NGM4 V2

    Hi

    Its enabled in the bios, but despite trying to I can't even get it to see this

    is it possible, or should I just use another card?

    thanks

    See Ya
    (when bandwidth gets better ;-)

    Chris Eastwood
    Photographer, Programmer Motorcyclist and dingbat
    blog: http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/

    please remove undies for reply

  2. Re: redhat can't see network card on MSI K9NGM4 V2

    obakesan staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > [The NIC on an MSI K9NGM4 V2 board is] enabled in the bios, but
    > despite trying to, I can't even get [Redhat] to see [it]. Is it
    > possible, or should I just use another card?

    Which version of Redhat are you using? Does the card show up in the
    output from /sbin/lspci ? If you're using an old Redhat, it's possible
    that the NIC on your board didn't exist when that old Redhat was
    released. So: Answer the first question, then post the relevant output
    from lspci, and someone will probably be able to tell you what to do.

    --
    This is my rifle, this is my GNU
    This is for fighting, this is for $FOO! --AJS in ASR

  3. Re: redhat can't see network card on MSI K9NGM4 V2

    HI

    In article , Dances With
    Crows wrote:
    >obakesan staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >> [The NIC on an MSI K9NGM4 V2 board is] enabled in the bios, but
    >> despite trying to, I can't even get [Redhat] to see [it]. Is it
    >> possible, or should I just use another card?

    >Which version of Redhat are you using? Does the card show up in the
    >output from /sbin/lspci ? If you're using an old Redhat, it's possible
    >that the NIC on your board didn't exist when that old Redhat was
    >released. So: Answer the first question, then post the relevant output
    >from lspci, and someone will probably be able to tell you what to do.

    redhat nash 4.2.1.6

    However, I think that I've found that its not possible ... as I found
    something on this on the Realtek FAQ (on their site {they make the NIC}):

    RTL8201, RTL8201BL, RTL8201CL, RTL8201CP, RTL8201N and RTL8211B(L) are all
    PHYceiver. That is a driverless hardware device. Software driver are relative
    to Network controller ( MAC ) which is integrated into chipset in such case
    mostly. Please contact your mother board maker or chipset manufacturer to
    obtain proper driver support.

    so its not looking good ... :-)

    See Ya
    (when bandwidth gets better ;-)

    Chris Eastwood
    Photographer, Programmer Motorcyclist and dingbat
    blog: http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/

    please remove undies for reply

  4. Re: redhat can't see network card on MSI K9NGM4 V2

    obakesan staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >>obakesan staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >>> [The NIC on an MSI K9NGM4 V2 board is] enabled in the bios, but
    >>> despite trying to, I can't even get [Redhat] to see [it]. Is it
    >>> possible, or should I just use another card?

    >>Which version of Redhat are you using? Does the card show up in the
    >>output from /sbin/lspci ? Answer the first question, then post the
    >>relevant output from lspci,

    > redhat nash 4.2.1.6

    Um. Redhat 4 is ancient and cannot be used with any modern hardware.
    RHEL 4 is much more recent, but still behind the times by one release.
    You should also provide the output of "uname -a" since Redhat's
    versioning scheme is less consistent than you may know, and not everyone
    is familiar with every name that every Redhat release had.

    > RTL8201, RTL8201BL, RTL8201CL, RTL8201CP, RTL8201N and RTL8211B(L) are
    > all PHYceiver. That is a driverless hardware device. Software driver
    > are relative to Network controller ( MAC ) which is integrated into
    > chipset in such case mostly.

    This is why I wanted to see the output fron /sbin/lspci . (And all of
    whose base are belong to what?)

    > so [it's] not looking good

    There is still not enough information to figure out whether the card can
    be made to work or not. Post the relevant info from lspci.

    --
    Technology makes it possible for people to gain control over
    everything, except over technology. --John Tudor

  5. Re: redhat can't see network card on MSI K9NGM4 V2

    Morning

    In article , Dances With
    Crows wrote:
    >obakesan staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >> Dances With Crows wrote:
    >>>output from /sbin/lspci ? Answer the first question, then post the
    >>>relevant output from lspci,

    >> redhat nash 4.2.1.6

    >Um. Redhat 4 is ancient and cannot be used with any modern hardware.

    [snip]
    >You should also provide the output of "uname -a" since Redhat's
    >versioning scheme is less consistent than you may know, and not everyone

    when it comes to linux I certainly do not lay claim to knowing much at all

    ok ... so uname -a [what I think to be the] relevant output is line 1:

    Linux version 2.6.9-22.ELsmp (bhcompile@porky.build.redhat.com) (gcc version
    3.4.4 20050721 (Red Hat 3.4.4-2)) #1 SMP Mon Sep 19 18:32:14 EDT 2005

    there are some 338 other lines, so please let me know if you want all of them
    (or which of them you may want)

    >> RTL8201, RTL8201BL, RTL8201CL, RTL8201CP, RTL8201N and RTL8211B(L) are
    >> all PHYceiver. That is a driverless hardware device. Software driver
    >> are relative to Network controller ( MAC ) which is integrated into
    >> chipset in such case mostly.

    >This is why I wanted to see the output fron /sbin/lspci . (And all of
    >whose base are belong to what?)

    ok ... since you're hopeful :-)

    00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0547 (rev a2)
    00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0548 (rev a2)
    00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0542 (rev a2)
    00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 055e (rev a2)
    00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 055f (rev a2)
    00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 055e (rev a2)
    00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 055f (rev a2)
    00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0560 (rev a1)
    00:07.0 Class 0403: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 055c (rev a1)
    00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0561 (rev a2)
    00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0550 (rev a2)
    00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 054c (rev a2)
    00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0562 (rev a2)
    00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0563 (rev a2)
    00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0563 (rev a2)
    00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0563 (rev a2)
    00:0f.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0563 (rev a2)
    00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0563 (rev a2)
    00:11.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0563 (rev a2)
    00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 053b
    (rev a2)

    HTH

    :-)

    See Ya
    (when bandwidth gets better ;-)

    Chris Eastwood
    Photographer, Programmer Motorcyclist and dingbat
    blog: http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/

    please remove undies for reply

  6. Re: redhat can't see network card on MSI K9NGM4 V2

    Hello,

    obakesan a écrit :

    >>>RTL8201, RTL8201BL, RTL8201CL, RTL8201CP, RTL8201N and RTL8211B(L) are
    >>>all PHYceiver. That is a driverless hardware device. Software driver
    >>>are relative to Network controller ( MAC ) which is integrated into
    >>>chipset in such case mostly.

    These are PHY devices, the part beyond the ethernet controller itself.
    You don't need a driver for it, only for the controller.

    > 00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 054c (rev a2)

    According to my information this is an nVidia MCP67 ethernet controller,
    which requires the forcedeth driver in kernel 2.6.20 at least.

  7. Re: redhat can't see network card on MSI K9NGM4 V2

    Pascal Hambourg staggered into the Black Sun and said:

    > These are PHY devices, the part beyond the ethernet controller itself.
    > You don't need a driver for it, only for the controller.
    >
    >> 00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 054c

    > According to my information this is an nVidia MCP67 ethernet
    > controller, which requires the forcedeth driver in kernel 2.6.20 at
    > least.

    Yep. Anyhow, you're running RHEL 4 (not Redhat 4), which may be very
    important when you ask for help in the future. The 2.6.18-whatever
    kernel present in CentOS 5.1 and RHEL 5 has the forcedeth module in it,
    and that will probably work. Also, if you do an lspci and you see a lot
    of "unknown device" hardware listed, it means your pciutils are too old
    and you should update them. (Or you have a bunch of really new
    hardware.)

    --
    There is not enough coffee in the world.
    --TimC in ASR

  8. Re: redhat can't see network card on MSI K9NGM4 V2

    Dances With Crows a écrit :

    >>>00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 054c

    >>According to my information this is an nVidia MCP67 ethernet
    >>controller, which requires the forcedeth driver in kernel 2.6.20 at
    >>least.

    > The 2.6.18-whatever
    > kernel present in CentOS 5.1 and RHEL 5 has the forcedeth module in it,
    > and that will probably work.

    Only if RedHat patched it. The forcedeth module in the original 2.6.18
    kernel does not support this PCI device ID.

+ Reply to Thread