What happened after TCP failed retring sending - Networking

This is a discussion on What happened after TCP failed retring sending - Networking ; Hi, If two TCP stream socket opened on two different hosts connected ok, then the network cable was cut off. One endpoint will in sometimes write some data into its socket. Of course, these packets sent out will not get ...

  1. What happened after TCP failed retring sending

    Hi,

    If two TCP stream socket opened on two different hosts connected ok,
    then the network cable was cut off. One endpoint will in sometimes
    write some data into its socket. Of course, these packets sent out
    will not get any ACKs, my question is: in this case, will the socket
    in the sending end noticed this kind of failure and close the socket
    for the calling program? If so, how long will this happen?
    (Supposing the keeep-alive option is off)

    Thanks.

    -
    narke

  2. Re: What happened after TCP failed retring sending

    On Jul 1, 2:16*am, Steven Woody wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > If two TCP stream socket opened on two different hosts connected ok,
    > then the network cable was cut off. *One endpoint will in sometimes
    > write some data into its socket. *Of course, these packets sent out
    > will not get any ACKs, my question is: in this case, will the socket
    > in the sending end noticed this kind of failure and close the socket
    > for the calling program? *If so, how long will this happen?
    > (Supposing the keeep-alive option is off)

    Yes, the error will be "send timed out" or its equivalent. The exact
    amount of time depends upon the exact settings on each end, but 50
    seconds to 4 minutes is typical.

    Note that TCP does not guarantee that an end that does not send data
    can detect a connection loss. The connection is only tested so long as
    there is unacknowledged outbound data.

    DS

  3. Re: What happened after TCP failed retring sending

    On Jul 1, 6:12 pm, David Schwartz wrote:
    > On Jul 1, 2:16 am, Steven Woody wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > If two TCP stream socket opened on two different hosts connected ok,
    > > then the network cable was cut off. One endpoint will in sometimes
    > > write some data into its socket. Of course, these packets sent out
    > > will not get any ACKs, my question is: in this case, will the socket
    > > in the sending end noticed this kind of failure and close the socket
    > > for the calling program? If so, how long will this happen?
    > > (Supposing the keeep-alive option is off)

    > Yes, the error will be "send timed out" or its equivalent. The exact
    > amount of time depends upon the exact settings on each end, but 50
    > seconds to 4 minutes is typical.
    >
    > Note that TCP does not guarantee that an end that does not send data
    > can detect a connection loss. The connection is only tested so long as
    > there is unacknowledged outbound data.
    >
    > DS

    Thank you. I understood.

+ Reply to Thread