"eth0: unknown interface" with newly-compiled kernel - Networking

This is a discussion on "eth0: unknown interface" with newly-compiled kernel - Networking ; I built a new kernel from the 2.6.25.6 sources, installed it, the modules and the new System.map. But for some reason it doesn't want to do anything ethernet. The new kernel comes up ok otherwise. I know I configured ethernet ...

  1. "eth0: unknown interface" with newly-compiled kernel

    I built a new kernel from the 2.6.25.6 sources, installed it, the
    modules and the new System.map. But for some reason it doesn't want
    to do anything ethernet. The new kernel comes up ok otherwise. I
    know I configured ethernet (of various kinds) in to the kernel (I
    started with the default configuration and didn't remove anything
    network-related).

    If I type "route", all that comes up is the loopback device. If I
    type "ifconfig eth0 up", it comes back with "eth0: unknown interface:
    No such device".

    "lspci" seems to know about my network card:
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970
    [PCnet32 LANCE] (rev 10).

    /var/log/messages doesn't say anything about a network interface.
    However, dmesg seems not unhappy:
    loop: module loaded
    Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 7.3.20-k2
    Copyright (c) 1999-2006 Intel Corporation.
    e100: Intel(R) PRO/100 Network Driver, 3.5.23-k4-NAPI
    e100: Copyright(c) 1999-2006 Intel Corporation

  2. Re: "eth0: unknown interface" with newly-compiled kernel

    strnbrg wrote:
    > I built a new kernel from the 2.6.25.6 sources, installed it, the
    > modules and the new System.map. But for some reason it doesn't want
    > to do anything ethernet. The new kernel comes up ok otherwise. I
    > know I configured ethernet (of various kinds) in to the kernel (I
    > started with the default configuration and didn't remove anything
    > network-related).
    >
    > If I type "route", all that comes up is the loopback device. If I
    > type "ifconfig eth0 up", it comes back with "eth0: unknown interface:
    > No such device".
    >
    > "lspci" seems to know about my network card:
    > 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970
    > [PCnet32 LANCE] (rev 10).
    >
    > /var/log/messages doesn't say anything about a network interface.
    > However, dmesg seems not unhappy:
    > loop: module loaded
    > Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 7.3.20-k2
    > Copyright (c) 1999-2006 Intel Corporation.
    > e100: Intel(R) PRO/100 Network Driver, 3.5.23-k4-NAPI
    > e100: Copyright(c) 1999-2006 Intel Corporation

    1. Make sure that PCNET32 is set in your .config file
    2. Try eth1 or eth2

    Robert

  3. Re: "eth0: unknown interface" with newly-compiled kernel

    On Jun 30, 2:08*pm, strnbrg wrote:

    > "lspci" seems to know about my network card:
    > 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970
    > [PCnet32 LANCE] (rev 10).
    >
    > /var/log/messages doesn't say anything about a network interface.
    > However, dmesg seems *not unhappy:
    > * loop: module loaded
    > * Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 7.3.20-k2
    > * Copyright (c) 1999-2006 Intel Corporation.
    > * e100: Intel(R) PRO/100 Network Driver, 3.5.23-k4-NAPI
    > * e100: Copyright(c) 1999-2006 Intel Corporation

    The e100 driver is not the correct driver for your network interface.
    You need either the lance driver or the pcnet32 driver. Make sure both
    of them are compiled into your kernel or loaded as modules and try
    again.

    The config entries are:

    config PCNET32
    tristate "AMD PCnet32 PCI support"
    depends on NET_PCI && PCI
    select CRC32
    select MII
    help
    If you have a PCnet32 or PCnetPCI based network (Ethernet)
    card,
    answer Y here and read the Ethernet-HOWTO, available from
    .

    To compile this driver as a module, choose M here. The module
    will be called pcnet32.

    and

    config LANCE
    tristate "AMD LANCE and PCnet (AT1500 and NE2100) support"
    depends on ISA && ISA_DMA_API
    help
    If you have a network (Ethernet) card of this type, say Y and
    read
    the Ethernet-HOWTO, available from
    . Some LinkSys cards are
    of this type.

    To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the module
    will be called lance. This is recommended.

    I believe it's the PCNET32 driver that you want, but I'm not 100%
    sure.

    DS

  4. Re: "eth0: unknown interface" with newly-compiled kernel

    Thanks, that worked!

+ Reply to Thread