network init script for two machines ( image ) - Networking

This is a discussion on network init script for two machines ( image ) - Networking ; Hello, Before I start with the question I have to explain the situation: we have two identical machines ( except the mac address ) with RAID disks and SLES 10. To have them identical we move one of the raid ...

  1. network init script for two machines ( image )

    Hello,

    Before I start with the question I have to explain the situation:

    we have two identical machines ( except the mac address ) with RAID
    disks and SLES 10. To have them identical we move one of the raid disks
    from one machine to the second and recreate the raid. The hostname and
    the IP are the only things that have to be different.

    Now to the question:

    how can I create a network init script that sets two different hostnames
    and IP adresses starting from the mac address ?
    If it finds MAC 00:30:05:9B:3B:03 it should set hostname hosta and Ip
    10.1.1.10, if it finds MAC 00:30:05:9B:3B:1B, then hostname should be
    hostb and IP 10.1.1.12

    Thanks
    Andreas

  2. Re: network init script for two machines ( image )

    On Monday 30 June 2008 09:55, Andreas Moroder wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Before I start with the question I have to explain the situation:
    >
    > we have two identical machines ( except the mac address ) with RAID
    > disks and SLES 10. To have them identical we move one of the raid disks
    > from one machine to the second and recreate the raid. The hostname and
    > the IP are the only things that have to be different.
    >
    > Now to the question:
    >
    > how can I create a network init script that sets two different hostnames
    > and IP adresses starting from the mac address ?
    > If it finds MAC 00:30:05:9B:3B:03 it should set hostname hosta and Ip
    > 10.1.1.10, if it finds MAC 00:30:05:9B:3B:1B, then hostname should be
    > hostb and IP 10.1.1.12

    Find out the MAC address, eg something like

    mac=$(ifconfig eth0 | sed -n 's/.*HWaddr \([^ ]*\).*/\1/p')

    if [ "$mac" = "00:30:05:9B:3B:03" ]; then
    ifconfig eth0 10.1.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    # rest of config...
    else
    ifconfig eth0 10.1.1.12 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    # rest of config...
    fi

+ Reply to Thread