problem networking Linux and XP - Networking

This is a discussion on problem networking Linux and XP - Networking ; I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using a crossover cable. I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP addresses. I have disabled the firewalls on both machines. The problem is: I can ...

  1. problem networking Linux and XP

    I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected
    using a crossover cable.
    I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
    addresses.
    I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.

    The problem is:
    I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
    to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
    no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.

    I would appreciate some help with this.

  2. Re: problem networking Linux and XP

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom wrote:

    >> I would appreciate some help with this.

    get rid of XP?

  3. Re: problem networking Linux and XP

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom rearranged some electrons to
    say:

    > I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using
    > a crossover cable.
    > I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
    > addresses.
    > I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.
    >
    > The problem is:
    > I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
    > to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
    > no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.
    >
    > I would appreciate some help with this.

    Turn off the built-in XP firewalls.

  4. Re: problem networking Linux and XP

    david wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom rearranged some electrons to
    > say:
    >
    >> I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using
    >> a crossover cable.
    >> I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
    >> addresses.
    >> I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.
    >>
    >> The problem is:
    >> I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
    >> to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
    >> no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.
    >>
    >> I would appreciate some help with this.

    > Turn off the built-in XP firewalls.

    He already said that he did

    --
    Tayo'y mga Pinoy

  5. Re: problem networking Linux and XP

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom passed an empty day by writing:

    > I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using
    > a crossover cable.
    > I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
    > addresses.
    > I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.
    >
    > The problem is:
    > I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
    > to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
    > no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.
    >
    > I would appreciate some help with this.

    Subnets and workgroups the same? Is ICMP disabled on XP box? Not sure
    what the deal is xp-linux without Samba running.

    --
    begin oefixed_in_2005.exe

  6. Re: problem networking Linux and XP

    On Jun 27, 9:45*am, Klunk wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom passed an empty day by writing:
    >
    > > I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using
    > > a crossover cable.
    > > I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
    > > addresses.
    > > I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.

    > > The problem is:
    > > I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
    > > to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
    > > no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.

    > > I would appreciate some help with this.

    > Subnets and workgroups the same? Is ICMP disabled on XP box? Not sure
    > what the deal is xp-linux without Samba running.
    >
    > --
    > begin *oefixed_in_2005.exe

    Subnets are the same, workgroups are not. But workgroups shouldn't
    matter. All I'm trying to do is ping between the machines.
    ICMP is enabled on the XP box. And as I said before, firewalls on both
    boxes are disabled.

  7. Re: problem networking Linux and XP

    Baho Utot wrote:
    > david wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom rearranged some electrons to
    >> say:
    >>
    >>> I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using
    >>> a crossover cable.
    >>> I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
    >>> addresses.
    >>> I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.
    >>>
    >>> The problem is:
    >>> I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
    >>> to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
    >>> no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.
    >>>
    >>> I would appreciate some help with this.

    http://www.ust.hk/itsc/itsecurity/fi.../sp2_icmp.html

  8. Re: problem networking Linux and XP

    In news:48648c85$0$10646$fa0fcedb@news.zen.co.uk,
    Klunk typed:

    >> I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected
    >> using a crossover cable.
    >> I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
    >> addresses.
    >> I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.
    >>
    >> The problem is:
    >> I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I
    >> try to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP
    >> machine but no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.
    >>
    >> I would appreciate some help with this.

    > Subnets and workgroups the same? Is ICMP disabled on XP box? Not sure
    > what the deal is xp-linux without Samba running.

    Samba has absolutely nothing to do with ping or its responses.

    You'd do better to ask the OP how he _knows_ "the ping request arrives at
    the XP machine".

    You'd also do better to ask the OP what the "/sbin/ifconfig -a" on the
    CentOS machine returns, as well as the "ipconfig /all" on the XP box. Do the
    IP addresses and netmasks of each allow TCP/IP communications? Is it really
    a crossover cable? Is the cable good?

    I'd respond directly to the OP except for the fact that I killfile all
    gmail.com addresses in Usenet postings, since they are the major source of
    spam. To the OP: munge your address to something fake such as
    you@garbage.corn. You'll get more help that way.

  9. Re: problem networking Linux and XP

    esrom schreef:
    > On Jun 27, 9:45 am, Klunk wrote:
    >> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom passed an empty day by writing:
    >>
    >>> I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using
    >>> a crossover cable.
    >>> I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
    >>> addresses.
    >>> I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.
    >>> The problem is:
    >>> I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
    >>> to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
    >>> no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.
    >>> I would appreciate some help with this.

    >> Subnets and workgroups the same? Is ICMP disabled on XP box? Not sure
    >> what the deal is xp-linux without Samba running.
    >>
    >> --
    >> begin oefixed_in_2005.exe

    > Subnets are the same, workgroups are not. But workgroups shouldn't
    > matter. All I'm trying to do is ping between the machines.
    > ICMP is enabled on the XP box. And as I said before, firewalls on both
    > boxes are disabled.

    I would try another cable.

    --
    Max

    Open Source is an ode to common sense

  10. Re: problem networking Linux and XP

    On Jun 27, 2:08*am, Max wrote:

    > I would try another cable.
    >
    > --
    > Max

    You think a cable can tell the difference between a ping and a ping
    reply?!

    DS

  11. Re: problem networking Linux and XP

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 03:28:56 -0700, David Schwartz passed an empty day by
    writing:

    > On Jun 27, 2:08*am, Max wrote:
    >
    >> I would try another cable.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Max

    > You think a cable can tell the difference between a ping and a ping
    > reply?!
    >
    > DS

    when the xmit is on one pair and the receive is on the other, there is a
    logic in the thinking - but I can't say how it reflects in reality.

    --
    begin oefixed_in_2005.exe

  12. Re: problem networking Linux and XP

    esrom wrote:
    > I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected
    > using a crossover cable.
    > I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
    > addresses.
    > I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.
    >
    > The problem is:
    > I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
    > to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
    > no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.
    >
    > I would appreciate some help with this.

    If you can ping Centos from the XP machine, then your cabling and IP
    routing is OK. Your XP machine is probably configured somewhere not to
    respond to pings; there is no doubt a way of changing the configuration
    but I don't know that much about them.

    Robert

  13. Re: problem networking Linux and XP

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:56:19 +0100, Robert Harris passed an empty day by
    writing:

    > esrom wrote:
    >> I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using
    >> a crossover cable.
    >> I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
    >> addresses.
    >> I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.
    >>
    >> The problem is:
    >> I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
    >> to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
    >> no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.
    >>
    >> I would appreciate some help with this.

    > If you can ping Centos from the XP machine, then your cabling and IP
    > routing is OK. Your XP machine is probably configured somewhere not to
    > respond to pings; there is no doubt a way of changing the configuration
    > but I don't know that much about them.
    >
    > Robert

    You are 100% sure that you have either disabled the built in windows
    firewall that most people forget about (part of the 'security centre') or
    set it to allow ICMP (echo requests)?

    If you run a command prompt on the XP box and ping 127.0.0.1 do you get a
    response?

    just in case:
    http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/firewall.htm

    --
    begin oefixed_in_2005.exe

  14. Re: problem networking Linux and XP

    On Jun 27, 4:56*pm, Robert Harris
    wrote:
    > esrom wrote:
    > > I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected
    > > using a crossover cable.
    > > I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
    > > addresses.
    > > I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.

    > > The problem is:
    > > I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
    > > to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
    > > no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.

    > > I would appreciate some help with this.

    > If you can ping Centos from the XP machine, then your cabling and IP
    > routing is OK. Your XP machine is probably configured somewhere not to
    > respond to pings; there is no doubt a way of changing the configuration
    > but I don't know that much about them.
    >
    > Robert

    Thanks to all of you for the replies. I finally discovered what the
    problem was. The Checkpoint VPN software on the XP machine was
    blocking ICMP requests. Even when I disabled the VPN it still
    continued blocking the ICMP's. I couldn't find any configuration
    settings to change this. Uninstalling the VPN solved the problem.

+ Reply to Thread