determining what process is hogging bandwidth - Networking

This is a discussion on determining what process is hogging bandwidth - Networking ; I have a cluster of 4 machines running OpenSuSE 10.3. It appears that one of them is really hogging bandwidth right now. Unfortunately I can't just reboot these machines right now as there are multiple users on them for a ...

  1. determining what process is hogging bandwidth

    I have a cluster of 4 machines running OpenSuSE 10.3. It appears that
    one of them is really hogging bandwidth right now. Unfortunately I
    can't just reboot these machines right now as there are multiple users
    on them for a few more hours. Is there any utility or particular
    method to find out on a process basis what is using up the most
    bandwidth?

    TIA

  2. Re: determining what process is hogging bandwidth

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:01:25 -0700, Damon Getsman wrote:

    > I have a cluster of 4 machines running OpenSuSE 10.3. It appears that
    > one of them is really hogging bandwidth right now. Unfortunately I
    > can't just reboot these machines right now as there are multiple users
    > on them for a few more hours. Is there any utility or particular method
    > to find out on a process basis what is using up the most bandwidth?
    >
    > TIA

    Have you tried htop?

    Stef

  3. Re: determining what process is hogging bandwidth

    I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion. The only software I
    was familiar with before was a top-esque monitor that my friend wrote
    quite a few years back. Unfortunately he never released it and ended
    up losing his source tree of it.

    On Jun 24, 4:25*pm, Stefan Patric wrote:

    > Have you tried htop?
    >
    > Stef

  4. Re: determining what process is hogging bandwidth

    Well I just snagged it and took a peek at it. I can tell I've found a
    definite replacement for 'top', but I didn't at first glance notice
    anything about monitoring the network bandwidth that each process is
    utilizing. Of course I only got to look at it for a few minutes
    before my ride got here, so I guess I'll have to look some more
    tomorrow.

  5. Re: determining what process is hogging bandwidth

    In news:654f57c8-a2e9-4ca6-9f06-1d0d56592b7b@e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com,
    Damon Getsman typed:

    > Well I just snagged it and took a peek at it. I can tell I've found a
    > definite replacement for 'top', but I didn't at first glance notice
    > anything about monitoring the network bandwidth that each process is
    > utilizing. Of course I only got to look at it for a few minutes
    > before my ride got here, so I guess I'll have to look some more
    > tomorrow.

    Ah, _network_ bandwidth ... you just stated "bandwidth" in your OP.

    ntop is what you want. Run it on the network router to see the bandwidth
    component and endpoints of each connection to the Internet.

  6. Re: determining what process is hogging bandwidth

    Yeah that's why I specified; I figured that someone had taken it to be
    memory or processor bandwidth. My bad.

    ntop is looking absolutely perfect for what I was trying to do; as
    soon as I can find out if our WAN will handle the rflow traffic
    without any serious hits I'm going to try to put it on all of our
    routers.

    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread