Linux and VLANs - Networking

This is a discussion on Linux and VLANs - Networking ; Hi All, Can someone recommend a good reference (preferable free and online) for me on how to setup, configure/manage VLANs under Linux? I've seen a lot of online stuff but it seems to be written at a very high level ...

  1. Linux and VLANs

    Hi All,

    Can someone recommend a good reference (preferable free and online)
    for me on how to setup, configure/manage VLANs under Linux?

    I've seen a lot of online stuff but it seems to be written at a
    very high level and specific to particular distributions.

    All I want to do is to understand how to setup linux so it can
    understand vlans and a few tools on how to debug the setup.

    Thanks in Advance,

    JS

  2. Re: Linux and VLANs

    In news:ylb8k.6503$r_2.5464@newsfe14.phx,
    John Shepard typed:

    > All I want to do is to understand how to setup linux so it can
    > understand vlans and a few tools on how to debug the setup.

    http://www.google.com/linux?q=vlan+howto

  3. Re: Linux and VLANs

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 11:50:12 -0700, John Shepard wrote:

    > All I want to do is to understand how to setup linux so it can
    > understand vlans and a few tools on how to debug the setup.

    Isn't this too straightforward nowadays for much documentation? Add
    "VLAN=yes" to /etc/sysconfig/network and start creating interface names
    with dots (ie. eth0.10 for VLAN 10). Or is this a Redhat-only thing?

    I suppose "man vconfig" might be useful if the above doesn't work on a
    given distribution.

    - Andrew

  4. Re: Linux and VLANs

    Hello,

    Andrew Gideon a écrit :

    > Isn't this too straightforward nowadays for much documentation? Add
    > "VLAN=yes" to /etc/sysconfig/network and start creating interface names
    > with dots (ie. eth0.10 for VLAN 10). Or is this a Redhat-only thing?

    Yes, it is specific to distributions (originally) based on RedHat (SuSE,
    Mandriva...) and for example does not work on distributions based on
    Debian (Ubuntu...).

  5. Re: Linux and VLANs

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 19:10:14 +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

    > for example does not work on distributions based on Debian (Ubuntu...).

    But those would still have vconfig, right?

    - Andrew

  6. Re: Linux and VLANs

    Andrew Gideon a écrit :
    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 19:10:14 +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
    >
    >>for example does not work on distributions based on Debian (Ubuntu...).

    > But those would still have vconfig, right?

    Of course. It is the actual tool used by distribution-specific network
    management systems.

  7. Re: Linux and VLANs

    On 6 Lip, 23:15, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
    > Andrew Gideon a écrit :
    >
    > > On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 19:10:14 +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

    > >>for example does not work on distributions based on Debian (Ubuntu...).

    > > But those would still have vconfig, right?

    > Of course. It is the actual tool used by distribution-specific network
    > management systems.

    Do you have installed package 'vlan'?
    If not do:
    # aptitude install vlan

    Make sure that module 8021q is loaded.

    Then you can configure VLAN interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces like
    that:

    iface eth1.200 inet .... - which means interface eth1 with VLAN 200.

    Regards,
    Jarek

+ Reply to Thread