Ping and DUP's - Networking

This is a discussion on Ping and DUP's - Networking ; Hi I am trying to ping a host by IP and getting DUP. The man page says it is a hardware problem. When I do wget with the host IP I am getting html response code 400. Apparently there is ...

  1. Ping and DUP's

    Hi
    I am trying to ping a host by IP and getting DUP. The man page says it
    is a hardware problem. When I do wget with the host IP I am getting
    html response code 400. Apparently there is nothing wrong with the
    host. Can anyone help me figure this out? These are the commands I
    used at the linux command prompt.

    ping 198.252.230.11

    wget -drc http://198.252.230.11:9504/VendorSSO...PartnerID=yyyy

    I also ran traceroute and didn't receive any hits. All the hops
    printed 3 asterisks. BTW, I am working from the linux host
    172.16.170.25 just so that you know the remote host is not on the same
    subnet.

    I was thinking there is something wrong with the router(s). Since I
    don't have access to them, I am at a loss to understand how to isolate
    the problem.

    Thanks for your help

  2. Re: Ping and DUP's

    In comp.os.linux.networking, soup_or_power@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hi
    > I am trying to ping a host by IP and getting DUP. The man page says it
    > is a hardware problem.

    Typically, a DUP comes as a result of more than one node using the target IP
    address. Yes, this is a hardware problem, in that only one of those nodes
    can legitimately "own" the IP address, and all the other responders suffer
    from some misconfiguration.

    Recognize that, if more than one destination claims a specific IP address,
    the underlying network (i.e. Ethernet) often cannot properly route data to
    the destination node.

    > When I do wget with the host IP I am getting
    > html response code 400. Apparently there is nothing wrong with the
    > host. Can anyone help me figure this out? These are the commands I
    > used at the linux command prompt.
    >
    > ping 198.252.230.11
    >
    > wget -drc

    http://198.252.230.11:9504/VendorSSO...PartnerID=yyyy

    > I also ran traceroute and didn't receive any hits. All the hops
    > printed 3 asterisks.

    Firewalled?

    --
    Lew Pitcher

  3. Re: Ping and DUP's

    On Jun 23, 2:03*pm, Lew Pitcher wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.networking, soup_or_po...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > I am trying to ping a host by IP and getting DUP. The man page says it
    > > is a hardware problem.

    > Typically, a DUP comes as a result of more than one node using the targetIP
    > address. Yes, this is a hardware problem, in that only one of those nodes
    > can legitimately "own" the IP address, and all the other responders suffer
    > from some misconfiguration.
    >
    > Recognize that, if more than one destination claims a specific IP address,
    > the underlying network (i.e. Ethernet) often cannot properly route data to
    > the destination node.
    >
    > > When I do wget with the host IP I am getting
    > > html response code 400. Apparently there is nothing wrong with the *
    > > host. Can anyone help me figure this out? These are the commands I
    > > used at the linux command prompt.

    > > ping 198.252.230.11

    > > wget * *-drc

    > http://198.252.230.11:9504/VendorSSO...PartnerID=yyyy
    >

    > > I also ran traceroute and didn't receive any hits. All the hops
    > > printed 3 asterisks.

    > Firewalled?

    That is very likely. I would like to rule out hardware failure in
    which case I will leave it upto the powers be in my org. Since ping
    has shown DUP's, how definitive is it that the problem is with
    hardware?

    Thanks for your help

  4. Re: Ping and DUP's

    On Jun 23, 11:06 pm, "soup_or_po...@yahoo.com"
    wrote:
    > On Jun 23, 2:03 pm, Lew Pitcher wrote:
    >

    > > In comp.os.linux.networking, soup_or_po...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > > Hi
    > > > I am trying to ping a host by IP and getting DUP. The man page says it
    > > > is a hardware problem.

    > > Typically, a DUP comes as a result of more than one node using the target IP
    > > address. Yes, this is a hardware problem, in that only one of those nodes
    > > can legitimately "own" the IP address, and all the other responders suffer
    > > from some misconfiguration.

    > > Recognize that, if more than one destination claims a specific IP address,
    > > the underlying network (i.e. Ethernet) often cannot properly route data to
    > > the destination node.

    > > > When I do wget with the host IP I am getting
    > > > html response code 400. Apparently there is nothing wrong with the
    > > > host. Can anyone help me figure this out? These are the commands I
    > > > used at the linux command prompt.

    > > > ping 198.252.230.11

    > > > wget -drc

    > >http://198.252.230.11:9504/VendorSSO...PartnerID=yyyy

    > > > I also ran traceroute and didn't receive any hits. All the hops
    > > > printed 3 asterisks.

    > > Firewalled?

    > That is very likely. I would like to rule out hardware failure in
    > which case I will leave it upto the powers be in my org. Since ping
    > has shown DUP's, how definitive is it that the problem is with
    > hardware?
    >
    > Thanks for your help

    It might just be the network driver issue if you are using custom
    driver

    -- Rohit

  5. Re: Ping and DUP's

    On Jun 24, 3:22*am, Rohit wrote:
    > On Jun 23, 11:06 pm, "soup_or_po...@yahoo.com"
    >

    > wrote:

    > > > Typically, a DUP comes as a result of more than one node using the target IP
    > > > address. Yes, this is a hardware problem, in that only one of those nodes
    > > > can legitimately "own" the IP address, and all the other responders suffer
    > > > from some misconfiguration.

    > > > Recognize that, if more than one destination claims a specific IP address,
    > > > the underlying network (i.e. Ethernet) often cannot properly route data to
    > > > the destination node.

    > > >http://198.252.230.11:9504/VendorSSO...PartnerID=yyyy

    > > > Firewalled?

    > > That is very likely. I would like to rule out hardware failure in
    > > which case I will leave it upto the powers be in my org. Since ping
    > > has shown DUP's, how definitive is it that the problem is with
    > > hardware?

    > > Thanks for your help

    > It might just be the network driver issue if you are using custom
    > driver
    >
    > -- Rohit- Hide quoted text -

    The set up used to work. We made some changes to the IP address of
    hosts in the 172.16.170.0 subnet. Basically we switched .42 and .43
    to .43 and .42. The ARP caches were refreshed. The former .42 used to
    connect without probs. After its switch to .43 the connection was
    broken.

    Assuming the problem is with network drivers, how do I install the
    drivers? Do I need a CD from the manufacturer?

    Thanks for your help

  6. Re: Ping and DUP's

    On Jun 24, 4:22 pm, "soup_or_po...@yahoo.com"
    wrote:
    > On Jun 24, 3:22 am, Rohit wrote:
    >

    > > On Jun 23, 11:06 pm, "soup_or_po...@yahoo.com"

    > > wrote:

    > > > That is very likely. I would like to rule out hardware failure in
    > > > which case I will leave it upto the powers be in my org. Since ping
    > > > has shown DUP's, how definitive is it that the problem is with
    > > > hardware?

    > > > Thanks for your help

    > > It might just be the network driver issue if you are using custom
    > > driver

    > > -- Rohit- Hide quoted text -

    > The set up used to work. We made some changes to the IP address of
    > hosts in the 172.16.170.0 subnet. Basically we switched .42 and .43
    > to .43 and .42. The ARP caches were refreshed. The former .42 used to
    > connect without probs. After its switch to .43 the connection was
    > broken.
    >
    > Assuming the problem is with network drivers, how do I install the
    > drivers? Do I need a CD from the manufacturer?
    >
    > Thanks for your help

    If you are using standard driver (one that comes with os ) and have
    not made any changes to it, it is very unlikely that this is driver
    issue in that case.You should look @ other places for the issue then

  7. Re: Ping and DUP's

    On Jun 25, 2:27*pm, Rohit wrote:
    > On Jun 24, 4:22 pm, "soup_or_po...@yahoo.com"
    >

    > wrote:
    > > On Jun 24, 3:22 am, Rohit wrote:

    > > > It might just be the network driver issue if you are using custom
    > > > driver

    > > > -- Rohit- Hide quoted text -

    > > The set up used to work. We made some changes to the IP address of
    > > hosts in the 172.16.170.0 subnet. Basically we switched .42 and .43
    > > to .43 and .42. The ARP caches were refreshed. The former .42 used to
    > > connect without probs. After its switch to .43 the connection was
    > > broken.

    > > Assuming the problem is with network drivers, how do I install the
    > > drivers? Do I need a CD from the manufacturer?

    > > Thanks for your help

    > If you are using standard driver *(one that comes with os *) and have
    > not made any changes to it, it is very unlikely that this is driver
    > issue in that case.You should look @ other places for the issue then- Hidequoted text -

    The connection was not any more the problem. The DUP's in the ping
    still are. The ping man page predicts dire
    consequences if this is not fixed immediately. For now I will ignore
    it. Is that a good idea?

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread