Belkin Router - Networking

This is a discussion on Belkin Router - Networking ; Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew if a Belkin router works with linux? i did have a D-Link router and i was able to see the computer on the network. now that i have this one i can't seem ...

  1. Belkin Router

    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone knew if a Belkin router works with linux? i
    did have a D-Link router and i was able to see the computer on the network.
    now that i have this one i can't seem to see it on the network. any help
    would be greatful.

    MK

  2. Re: Belkin Router

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:59:58 +0100, MK28 wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I was wondering if anyone knew if a Belkin router works with linux? i
    > did have a D-Link router and i was able to see the computer on the network.
    > now that i have this one i can't seem to see it on the network. any help
    > would be greatful.

    How do you know that the Belkin router works?

    Care to provide the model number. That would allow someone to find a
    user manual and tell you what ip address to look at router's web page
    if it has one.

    Better yet, you might want to find the manual and verify the router
    works or does not work.

  3. Re: Belkin Router

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:59:58 +0100, MK28 wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I was wondering if anyone knew if a Belkin router works with linux?
    > did have a D-Link router and i was able to see the computer on the
    > network. now that i have this one i can't seem to see it on the network.
    > any help would be greatful.
    >
    > MK

    I don't understand how a router can "work with Linux" or "not work with
    Linux". Either it works or it doesn't work - I see no sensitivity to OS.

  4. Re: Belkin Router

    "MK28" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I was wondering if anyone knew if a Belkin router works with linux? i
    > did have a D-Link router and i was able to see the computer on the

    network.
    > now that i have this one i can't seem to see it on the network. any help
    > would be greatful.
    >
    > MK

    To: Bit Twister

    How do i know if the router is working, i would not be online if it was not
    working.
    i know i could connect direct to the internet hub, as i am on broadband.
    i could provide the model number but i already know the ip for the router
    for its site
    and i have the manual, which does not help. cos it does not mention anything
    about linux.

    all of what you are saying is avoiding the main issue of what i am trying to
    ask. i know for
    a fact that some things dont work with linux and some need drivers for them
    to work.

    when i had the D-Link router and used my scanner on the network ip's i was
    able to see
    all the computers connected to the router. but with this Belkin router and
    use the scanner
    i can only see my windows computers on the list, but not the linux computer.
    so all i am
    asking is if anyone know if Belkin routers work with linux (with or without
    drivers).

    sorry if i did not explain correctly, i thought i would just a basic
    question and would get
    yes it works or no it does not. also just let you know that i am more than
    general user
    of a computer, just not very good with linux, less than i would like to be.
    i hope this
    explains on what i am trying to say.

    From MK

  5. Re: Belkin Router

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:59:41 +0100, MK28 wrote:

    > "MK28" wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I was wondering if anyone knew if a Belkin router works with linux? i
    > > did have a D-Link router and i was able to see the computer on the

    > network.
    > > now that i have this one i can't seem to see it on the network. any help
    > > would be greatful.
    > >
    > > MK
    > >

    > To: Bit Twister

    > How do i know if the router is working, i would not be online if it was not
    > working.
    > i know i could connect direct to the internet hub, as i am on broadband.
    > i could provide the model number but i already know the ip for the router
    > for its site
    > and i have the manual, which does not help. cos it does not mention anything
    > about linux.

    A router is an independent device which connects to your internet
    service (WAN = Wide Area Network) and then provides one
    or more ports for your internal network (LAN = Local Area
    Network). The manuals rarely mention Linux even though a router
    should work fine with Linux. It's just that the router manufacturer
    doesn't have enough knowledge of Linux to help you.

    > all of what you are saying is avoiding the main issue of what i am trying to
    > ask. i know for
    > a fact that some things dont work with linux and some need drivers for them
    > to work.

    The LAN machines do not need drivers to use the router.

    > when i had the D-Link router and used my scanner on the network ip's i was

    What scanner?

    > able to see
    > all the computers connected to the router. but with this Belkin router and
    > use the scanner
    > i can only see my windows computers on the list, but not the linux computer.
    > so all i am
    > asking is if anyone know if Belkin routers work with linux (with or without
    > drivers).

    The Belkin router should work with any operating system in the LAN
    machines without special drivers.

    > sorry if i did not explain correctly, i thought i would just a basic
    > question and would get
    > yes it works or no it does not. also just let you know that i am more than
    > general user
    > of a computer, just not very good with linux, less than i would like to be.
    > i hope this
    > explains on what i am trying to say.

    The problem is this: the details matter. To help, we'd need
    details about your setup. Model numbers, wired vs wireless
    connection topology, what do you mean by scanner (above),
    is the Belkin set up as a DHCP server, is the Linux machine
    set up as a DHCP client, is everything connected properly,
    and so on...

    --
    Dale Dellutri (lose the Q's)

  6. Re: Belkin Router

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:30:51 +0000, Dale Dellutri wrote:

    > A router is an independent device which connects to your internet
    > service (WAN = Wide Area Network) and then provides one or more ports
    > for your internal network (LAN = Local Area Network). The manuals
    > rarely mention Linux even though a router should work fine with Linux.
    > It's just that the router manufacturer doesn't have enough knowledge of
    > Linux to help you.

    Not to confuse the issue, but many routers use Linux as their OS. I know
    at least some Belkins and Linksys routers do.

  7. Re: Belkin Router

    MK28 wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I was wondering if anyone knew if a Belkin router works with linux? i
    > did have a D-Link router and i was able to see the computer on the network.
    > now that i have this one i can't seem to see it on the network. any help
    > would be greatful.
    >
    > MK

    Is it a true router or is a USB modem?

  8. Re: Belkin Router

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:59:41 +0100, MK28 wrote:

    > sorry if i did not explain correctly, i thought i would just a basic
    > question and would get yes it works or no it does not.

    In that case, basically, the answer is yes.

    > also just let you know that i am more than general user of a
    > computer, just not very good with linux, less than i would like to
    > be. i hope this explains on what i am trying to say.

    You may want to take a few minutes to read

    Usually when someone comes asking questions, we assume it is a
    hardware or software problem. Your question sounded like someone
    who bought a router and could not make it work.

    > How do i know if the router is working, i would not be online if it was not
    > working.

    Good, now we know the router works and is not something you just
    bought off of Ebay or a garage sale.

    > i know i could connect direct to the internet hub, as i am on
    > broadband. i could provide the model number but i already know the
    > ip for the router for its site and i have the manual, which does not
    > help. cos it does not mention anything about linux.

    I would not necessarily expect the router to care about what OS is
    running on the computer. It should not matter to the router.

    Now if the manual provided instructions/screen shots for
    troubleshooting/setup then the OS might matter when trying to follow
    the manual.

    > all of what you are saying is avoiding the main issue of what i am
    > trying to ask. i know for a fact that some things dont work with
    > linux and some need drivers for them to work.

    Sorry, I made the assumption you wanted to make the router work with
    linux when all you wanted to know is if linux worked with a Belkin
    router.

    I guess this is the end of the thread because, yes linux can work with
    the router.

    > when i had the D-Link router and used my scanner on the network ip's
    > i was able to see all the computers connected to the router. but
    > with this Belkin router and use the scanner i can only see my
    > windows computers on the list, but not the linux computer.

    Ok, I can think of a reason for that behavior. So fine.

    > so all i am asking is if anyone know if Belkin routers work with linux

    Yes. I saw an Oct 11 2002 post using the following url:

    Putting Belkin Router in the first box at
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_search

    and an asterisk linux asterisk in the Group box we find

    Results 11 - 20 of 345 for Belkin Router group:*linux*

  9. Re: Belkin Router

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:59:58 +0100, MK28 wrote:
    >Hi,
    > I was wondering if anyone knew if a Belkin router works with linux? i
    >did have a D-Link router and i was able to see the computer on the network.
    >now that i have this one i can't seem to see it on the network. any help
    >would be greatful.

    They all work. They don't require proprietary OS drivers.

  10. Re: Belkin Router

    In article ,
    AZ Nomad writes:
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:59:58 +0100, MK28 wrote:
    >>Hi,
    >> I was wondering if anyone knew if a Belkin router works with linux? i
    >>did have a D-Link router and i was able to see the computer on the network.
    >>now that i have this one i can't seem to see it on the network. any help
    >>would be greatful.

    > They all work. They don't require proprietary OS drivers.

    Or those that do can be likened to telephones which don't work if
    a different person tries to speak over them!

    --
    Tim Clark

  11. Re: Belkin Router

    > >Hi,
    > > I was wondering if anyone knew if a Belkin router works with linux?

    > >did have a D-Link router and i was able to see the computer on the

    network.
    > >now that i have this one i can't seem to see it on the network. any help
    > >would be greatful.

    > They all work. They don't require proprietary OS drivers.

    in that case any idea's why i cant see my linux when i scan local network
    ip's on the router?

  12. Re: Belkin Router

    wrote in message
    news:6tqdnewH_7xRcMLVnZ2dnUVZ_t7inZ2d@posted.gtine t...
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:30:51 +0000, Dale Dellutri wrote:
    >

    > > A router is an independent device which connects to your internet
    > > service (WAN = Wide Area Network) and then provides one or more ports
    > > for your internal network (LAN = Local Area Network). The manuals
    > > rarely mention Linux even though a router should work fine with Linux.
    > > It's just that the router manufacturer doesn't have enough knowledge of
    > > Linux to help you.

    > Not to confuse the issue, but many routers use Linux as their OS. I know
    > at least some Belkins and Linksys routers do.

    To: Thunder
    The model number is: F5D7230-4
    do you know if this one is one of those?
    if it is would it affect what computers it see's on the network?
    if it does what idea can you give to help me solve the problem?

  13. Re: Belkin Router

    On 2008-06-24, MK28 wrote:
    >> > I was wondering if anyone knew if a Belkin router works with linux?

    >> >did have a D-Link router and i was able to see the computer on the

    > network.
    >> >now that i have this one i can't seem to see it on the network. any help
    >> >would be greatful.

    >> They all work. They don't require proprietary OS drivers.
    >>

    > in that case any idea's why i cant see my linux when i scan local network
    > ip's on the router?

    Probably because you've misconfigured something. What is the network
    configuration of the router, a working client, and the nonworking linux
    client?

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  14. Re: Belkin Router

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:39:08 -0500, thunder rearranged some electrons to
    say:

    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:30:51 +0000, Dale Dellutri wrote:
    >

    >> A router is an independent device which connects to your internet
    >> service (WAN = Wide Area Network) and then provides one or more ports
    >> for your internal network (LAN = Local Area Network). The manuals
    >> rarely mention Linux even though a router should work fine with Linux.
    >> It's just that the router manufacturer doesn't have enough knowledge of
    >> Linux to help you.

    > Not to confuse the issue, but many routers use Linux as their OS. I
    > know at least some Belkins and Linksys routers do.

    You definitely confused the issue with the OP.

  15. Re: Belkin Router

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 22:02:11 +0100, MK28 wrote:

    > wrote in message
    > news:6tqdnewH_7xRcMLVnZ2dnUVZ_t7inZ2d@posted.gtine t...
    >> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:30:51 +0000, Dale Dellutri wrote:
    >>

    >> > A router is an independent device which connects to your internet
    >> > service (WAN = Wide Area Network) and then provides one or more ports
    >> > for your internal network (LAN = Local Area Network). The manuals
    >> > rarely mention Linux even though a router should work fine with
    >> > Linux. It's just that the router manufacturer doesn't have enough
    >> > knowledge of Linux to help you.

    >> Not to confuse the issue, but many routers use Linux as their OS. I
    >> know at least some Belkins and Linksys routers do.

    > To: Thunder
    > The model number is: F5D7230-4
    > do you know if this one is one of those? if it is would it affect what
    > computers it see's on the network? if it does what idea can you give to
    > help me solve the problem?

    Sorry, but I think I have confused the issue. The router should work
    with any networking capable operating system, Linux, Windows, etc. That
    particular Belkin is a wireless router that does happen to use Linux as
    it's operating system, but that is irrelevant to your problem.

    To solve your problem, it would be helpful to know what Linux
    distribution you are using. How you are trying to connect to the router,
    wired or wireless? Logged in as root, what is the output of the route
    command? The output of the ifconfig command? Or, you may get lucky, try
    typing http://192.168.2.1 into your Linux browser? What happens?

  16. Re: Belkin Router

    wrote in message
    > On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 22:02:11 +0100, MK28 wrote:
    >
    > > wrote in message
    > > news:6tqdnewH_7xRcMLVnZ2dnUVZ_t7inZ2d@posted.gtine t...

    > >> Not to confuse the issue, but many routers use Linux as their OS. I
    > >> know at least some Belkins and Linksys routers do.

    > > To: Thunder
    > > The model number is: F5D7230-4
    > > do you know if this one is one of those? if it is would it affect what
    > > computers it see's on the network? if it does what idea can you give to
    > > help me solve the problem?

    > Sorry, but I think I have confused the issue. The router should work
    > with any networking capable operating system, Linux, Windows, etc. That
    > particular Belkin is a wireless router that does happen to use Linux as
    > it's operating system, but that is irrelevant to your problem.
    >
    > To solve your problem, it would be helpful to know what Linux
    > distribution you are using. How you are trying to connect to the router,
    > wired or wireless? Logged in as root, what is the output of the route
    > command? The output of the ifconfig command? Or, you may get lucky, try
    > typing http://192.168.2.1 into your Linux browser? What happens?

    Ok, Ubentu (something like that).
    here is the layout of the network:
    line coming in to the cable modem then from there to the Belkin router from
    there in to 4 wired computers.
    1: Main Computer (XP), 2: Xbox360, 3: Linux Ubentu, 4: Spare
    i have a scanner to check the local network, when i run it it only see's 1
    and 2 (if its on), but 3 is always on but its not showing.
    there is a few problems with what you are saying at the end. 1: the display
    on the monitor of the linux is scambled, 2: its been a long time since i
    used it i forgot the root password. so with that i can't login as a root and
    i wont be able to see what browser is show let alone trying to load with a
    scamble display.
    if push comes to shove, i might have to reinstall a new linux os on the
    computer and put all the stuff back on it. but if i do that i would need to
    know what best os to use and should most likely work with the router.

  17. Re: Belkin Router

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 20:49:50 +0100, MK28 wrote:
    >if push comes to shove, i might have to reinstall a new linux os on the
    >computer and put all the stuff back on it. but if i do that i would need to
    >know what best os to use and should most likely work with the router.

    Any OS will work with any router. Microsoft hasn't developed the concept
    of the winrouter yet.

    The real question is do you have a modern kernel that will work with your
    network interface adapter. Get linux talking to the network interface,
    and you need only set the network params (dhcp vs. static, etc.), hostname
    and you'll be good to go. It's really very simple.

    You need to tell us what NIC you have on your motherboard and what version
    of linux you're trying to use.

  18. Re: Belkin Router

    Hi to all that tryed to help me.

    i just want to let you know i managed to get it working with the router. i
    did not need to do anything it just started to work with it.

    So i thought i would let you know.

    thanks for your help.

    from MK.

  19. Re: Belkin Router

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:59:58 +0100, MK28 wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I was wondering if anyone knew if a Belkin router works with linux? i
    > did have a D-Link router and i was able to see the computer on the
    > network. now that i have this one i can't seem to see it on the network.
    > any help would be greatful.
    >
    > MK

    Belkin routers are crap. You will find you get numerous random
    disconnects, perhaps traceroute wont work either.

    --
    ___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
    / _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

  20. Re: Belkin Router

    Dead Paul wrote:
    > Belkin routers are crap. You will find you get numerous random
    > disconnects, perhaps traceroute wont work either.

    Which models? Please give more details of symptoms. Which lights are
    showing when disconnect has occured?

    Can you pointer browser at the router when the connection has dropped to
    obtain connection status information?

    The following routers are also problematic:

    Netgear RP614 Keeps Freezing
    Linksys WRT54G Keeps Freezing

    Regards,

    Mark.