Re: DNS Server Address Moved to Router - Networking

This is a discussion on Re: DNS Server Address Moved to Router - Networking ; This thread has been deleted from my Leafnode server, but the Leafnode link took me straight to it on Google Groups! I wrote: I have a favorite site that I cannot access via my ISP's primary DNS server address. I ...

  1. Re: DNS Server Address Moved to Router

    I wrote:

    I have a favorite site that I cannot access via my ISP's primary DNS server
    address. I CAN access it via the secondary DNS server. Rather than
    reconfigure and hunt up the second address every time I upgrade, I have set
    the DNS addresses in my router, which stands between an ADSL modem in
    bridge mode and my (and my wife's) computer.

    Should I change my computer settings? The old settings: "use DHCP" etc
    still work, except that my BitTorrent port now shows Closed all the time.
    Previously I had port forwarding in the router, and it is still there.
    Should I perhaps be telling my interface that its DNS server is the router,
    or similar? Or should I put it back how it was originally?

    Anyway, Cork Soaker, perhaps it should not make a scrap of difference,
    moving the DNS addresses to the router, but it did. As soon as I changed
    the router setting to DHCP, the BT ports opened up.

    Perhaps some peculiarity of the router (D-Link WGR614 v. 6)?

    Doug.

  2. Re: DNS Server Address Moved to Router

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 23:27:57 +1000, Doug Laidlaw passed an empty day by
    writing:

    > This thread has been deleted from my Leafnode server, but the Leafnode
    > link took me straight to it on Google Groups!
    >
    > I wrote:
    >
    > I have a favorite site that I cannot access via my ISP's primary DNS
    > server address. I CAN access it via the secondary DNS server. Rather
    > than reconfigure and hunt up the second address every time I upgrade, I
    > have set the DNS addresses in my router, which stands between an ADSL
    > modem in bridge mode and my (and my wife's) computer.
    >
    > Should I change my computer settings? The old settings: "use DHCP" etc
    > still work, except that my BitTorrent port now shows Closed all the
    > time. Previously I had port forwarding in the router, and it is still
    > there. Should I perhaps be telling my interface that its DNS server is
    > the router, or similar? Or should I put it back how it was originally?
    >

    > Anyway, Cork Soaker, perhaps it should not make a scrap of difference,
    > moving the DNS addresses to the router, but it did. As soon as I
    > changed the router setting to DHCP, the BT ports opened up.
    >
    > Perhaps some peculiarity of the router (D-Link WGR614 v. 6)?
    >
    > Doug.

    Why not just bookmark it by it's IP address, rather than name?

    --
    begin oefixed_in_2005.exe

  3. Re: DNS Server Address Moved to Router

    Klunk wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 23:27:57 +1000, Doug Laidlaw passed an empty day by
    > writing:
    >
    >> This thread has been deleted from my Leafnode server, but the Leafnode
    >> link took me straight to it on Google Groups!
    >>
    >> I wrote:
    >>
    >> I have a favorite site that I cannot access via my ISP's primary DNS
    >> server address. I CAN access it via the secondary DNS server. Rather
    >> than reconfigure and hunt up the second address every time I upgrade, I
    >> have set the DNS addresses in my router, which stands between an ADSL
    >> modem in bridge mode and my (and my wife's) computer.
    >>
    >> Should I change my computer settings? The old settings: "use DHCP" etc
    >> still work, except that my BitTorrent port now shows Closed all the
    >> time. Previously I had port forwarding in the router, and it is still
    >> there. Should I perhaps be telling my interface that its DNS server is
    >> the router, or similar? Or should I put it back how it was originally?
    >>

    >> Anyway, Cork Soaker, perhaps it should not make a scrap of difference,
    >> moving the DNS addresses to the router, but it did. As soon as I
    >> changed the router setting to DHCP, the BT ports opened up.
    >>
    >> Perhaps some peculiarity of the router (D-Link WGR614 v. 6)?
    >>
    >> Doug.

    > Why not just bookmark it by it's IP address, rather than name?

    I tried that. It seemed to work for the Home page, but I ran into trouble
    navigating the site, because menus and links on the start page sent me back
    to the DNS server.

    Anyway, I can just keep a record of the two numbers.

    Doug.

+ Reply to Thread