automatic crossposting - Networking

This is a discussion on automatic crossposting - Networking ; I participate in the newsgroup "alt.fan.cecil-adams". Since lots of people (including me, unless I do something about it) are going to lose access to alt.* in the next few weeks, we are going to move to "misc.facts.straight-dope" (which was newgrouped ...

  1. automatic crossposting

    I participate in the newsgroup "alt.fan.cecil-adams". Since lots of
    people (including me, unless I do something about it) are going to lose
    access to alt.* in the next few weeks, we are going to move to
    "misc.facts.straight-dope" (which was newgrouped with that purpose in
    mind). One step in migration is consistent crossposting. So far I've
    been manually adding ",misc.facts.straight-dope" to the Newsgroups line
    with every post. But this is error-prone, and is a PITA. Is there a
    way to get trn or leafnode to do this automatically?

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP
    1101000 1110100 1110100 1110000 0111010 0101111 0101111 1110010 1101111

  2. Re: automatic crossposting

    In comp.os.linux.networking on Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:08:50 GMT, Hactar
    wrote:

    > I participate in the newsgroup "alt.fan.cecil-adams". Since lots of
    > people (including me, unless I do something about it) are going to lose
    > access to alt.* in the next few weeks, we are going to move to
    > "misc.facts.straight-dope" (which was newgrouped with that purpose in
    > mind). One step in migration is consistent crossposting. So far I've
    > been manually adding ",misc.facts.straight-dope" to the Newsgroups line
    > with every post. But this is error-prone, and is a PITA. Is there a
    > way to get trn or leafnode to do this automatically?

    I don't think trn can do what you want, but you should be able to get
    the desired results if your text editor is sufficiently advanced to
    support scripting.

    Pseudocode:

    if file is a news article
    if Newsgroups line contains af-ca
    if Newsgroups line does not contain mfs-d
    add msf-d to Newsgroups line
    endif
    endif
    endif

    This isn't the best newsgroup in which to get such questions answered;
    try news.software.readers or comp.editors.

    --
    PJR :-)

  3. Re: automatic crossposting

    In article ,
    Peter J Ross wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.networking on Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:08:50 GMT, Hactar
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I participate in the newsgroup "alt.fan.cecil-adams". Since lots of
    > > people (including me, unless I do something about it) are going to lose
    > > access to alt.* in the next few weeks, we are going to move to
    > > "misc.facts.straight-dope" (which was newgrouped with that purpose in
    > > mind). One step in migration is consistent crossposting. So far I've
    > > been manually adding ",misc.facts.straight-dope" to the Newsgroups line
    > > with every post. But this is error-prone, and is a PITA. Is there a
    > > way to get trn or leafnode to do this automatically?

    > I don't think trn can do what you want, but you should be able to get
    > the desired results if your text editor is sufficiently advanced to
    > support scripting.
    >
    > Pseudocode:
    >
    > if file is a news article
    > if Newsgroups line contains af-ca
    > if Newsgroups line does not contain mfs-d
    > add msf-d to Newsgroups line
    > endif
    > endif
    > endif

    It's vim, so it probably is; but I have no idea how to do it.

    > This isn't the best newsgroup in which to get such questions answered;
    > try news.software.readers or comp.editors.

    Noted, thanks.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81

    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
    hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

  4. Re: automatic crossposting

    On Jun 19, 2:08*am, ebenZERO...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:
    > I participate in the newsgroup "alt.fan.cecil-adams". *Since lots of
    > people (including me, unless I do something about it) are going to lose
    > access to alt.* in the next few weeks, we are going to move to
    > "misc.facts.straight-dope" (which was newgrouped with that purpose in
    > mind). *One step in migration is consistent crossposting. *So far I've
    > been manually adding ",misc.facts.straight-dope" to the Newsgroups line
    > with every post. *But this is error-prone, and is a PITA. *Is there a
    > way to get trn or leafnode to do this automatically?

    Are you guys really going to change the rest of the world to work
    around a broken provider? That doesn't seem right to me.

    If everything these providers seek to filter moves, they'll just move
    the filter. Everyone else will have gone through the inconvenience of
    moving, and you'll be back where you started.

    In any event, isn't it generally considered wrong to move content to
    evade a filter? If the entity placing the filter doesn't want to
    change it, then they *want* to filter the content.

    DS

  5. Re: automatic crossposting

    In article <7ba8cc76-f828-45b3-85af-60872955846d@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
    David Schwartz wrote:
    > On Jun 19, 2:08 am, ebenZERO...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:
    > > I participate in the newsgroup "alt.fan.cecil-adams". Since lots of
    > > people (including me, unless I do something about it) are going to lose
    > > access to alt.* in the next few weeks, we are going to move to
    > > "misc.facts.straight-dope" (which was newgrouped with that purpose in
    > > mind). One step in migration is consistent crossposting. So far I've
    > > been manually adding ",misc.facts.straight-dope" to the Newsgroups line
    > > with every post. But this is error-prone, and is a PITA. Is there a
    > > way to get trn or leafnode to do this automatically?

    > Are you guys really going to change the rest of the world to work
    > around a broken provider? That doesn't seem right to me.

    Who's this world of which you speak? We only aim to change AFCA.
    Besides, the newsgroup was created when AOL dumped their screaming
    masses on the net back in 93 or so, but has lain fallow since that
    time.

    > If everything these providers seek to filter moves, they'll just move
    > the filter. Everyone else will have gone through the inconvenience of
    > moving, and you'll be back where you started.
    >
    > In any event, isn't it generally considered wrong to move content to
    > evade a filter? If the entity placing the filter doesn't want to
    > change it, then they *want* to filter the content.

    I haven't heard anything about them wanting to quash a text-only
    newsgroup. Besides, just because they use a tacnuke to kill a
    mosquito doesn't mean we have to sit by and become collateral damage.

    If you need someone to blame
    Throw a rock in the air
    You'll hit someone guilty -- U2, _Zooropa_, "Dirty Day"

  6. Re: automatic crossposting

    Hactar wrote:

    > In article <7ba8cc76-f828-45b3-85af-60872955846d@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
    > David Schwartz wrote:
    > > On Jun 19, 2:08 am, ebenZERO...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:

    > Who's this world of which you speak? We only aim to change AFCA.
    > Besides, the newsgroup was created when AOL dumped their screaming
    > masses on the net back in 93 or so, but has lain fallow since that
    > time.

    By "the world" I mean every single person and server that handles that
    newsgroup.

    Note that I think moving newsgroups off 'alt' if appropriate is
    generally a good idea. The 'alt' hierarchy is kind of chaotic for many
    reasons and newsgroups often "graduate" out of the hierarchy. I'm just
    saying that working around a provider that has opted not to carry a
    group by moving the group, thereby circumventing the provider's
    decision, is a broken justification.

    > > If everything these providers seek to filter moves, they'll just move
    > > the filter. Everyone else will have gone through the inconvenience of
    > > moving, and you'll be back where you started.
    > >
    > > In any event, isn't it generally considered wrong to move content to
    > > evade a filter? If the entity placing the filter doesn't want to
    > > change it, then they *want* to filter the content.

    > I haven't heard anything about them wanting to quash a text-only
    > newsgroup.

    The fact that they placed a filter blocking the group proves they
    wanted to block the group. If their filter erroneously blocks the
    group, ask them to fix it.

    > Besides, just because they use a tacnuke to kill a
    > mosquito doesn't mean we have to sit by and become collateral damage.

    It doesn't mean you have to make everyone else collateral damage too
    either. Changing the world to work around a broken provider is
    considered rude. It inconveniences everyone except the people who
    should be inconvenienced, the customers of the provider. A provider's
    bad decisions should inconvenience their customers, since that's the
    only way to discourage bad decisions. However, when providers can
    shift the cost of their stupidity onto the rest of the world, they
    have no incentive not to be stupid.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread