LAN with 2 internet access points ? - Networking

This is a discussion on LAN with 2 internet access points ? - Networking ; My company is operating a LAN for about 30 users with 1 internet broadband modem (1 Mbps). Internet access is slow at times with many users on-line. It is very expensive to increase the speed over 1 Mbps (some extra ...

  1. LAN with 2 internet access points ?

    My company is operating a LAN for about 30 users with 1 internet
    broadband modem (1 Mbps). Internet access is slow at times with many
    users on-line.

    It is very expensive to increase the speed over 1 Mbps (some extra
    wiring is required, I think).

    The boss is toying the idea of adding a so called 3G wireless internet
    by another internet access service provider, which purportedly
    provides access for up to 3/4 Mbps. Please note that the 'wireless' is
    for outside internet connection; users are still accessing internet
    through LAN.

    Question
    --------
    1. Is it possible to have 2 internet access points in a LAN ?

    2. If possible, can the LAN be configured to automatically distribute
    the internet traffic so that both are equally utilized ?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: LAN with 2 internet access points ?

    sb5309@yahoo.com wrote:
    > My company is operating a LAN for about 30 users with 1 internet
    > broadband modem (1 Mbps). Internet access is slow at times with many
    > users on-line.
    >
    > It is very expensive to increase the speed over 1 Mbps (some extra
    > wiring is required, I think).
    >
    > The boss is toying the idea of adding a so called 3G wireless internet
    > by another internet access service provider, which purportedly
    > provides access for up to 3/4 Mbps. Please note that the 'wireless' is
    > for outside internet connection; users are still accessing internet
    > through LAN.
    >
    > Question
    > --------
    > 1. Is it possible to have 2 internet access points in a LAN ?

    Yes

    > 2. If possible, can the LAN be configured to automatically distribute
    > the internet traffic so that both are equally utilized ?

    My advice is rather than trying to engineer all this yourself, drop an
    iptables/routing/shaping wrapper on a linux-based firewall and you're
    off and running.

    We've had a lot of success with "Shorewall" on CentOS using 3 ISP's all
    at the same time. We route the most business critical stuff over the
    fastest link (ADSL2+), less-critical stuff over the ADSL1+ link, and all
    the other "crap" over the remaining ADSL1 link.

    The ToS-based routing is handled using connection marking and then
    passing the traffic off to a specific routing table based on it's mark.
    Sounds all complicated but Shorewall makes it easy.

    The users still only see the one gateway (the inside of the
    Linux+Shorewall box). So from a user perspective it's dead easy to
    set-up manually or via DHCP, etc.

    HTH,

    James

    PS: Contact me off-list if you want some working Shorewall config to
    start with james "domain of the news server that first go this
    post". Check the headers.

  3. Re: LAN with 2 internet access points ?

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:18:13 -0700 (PDT), sb5309@yahoo.com wrote:
    > My company is operating a LAN for about 30 users with 1 internet
    > broadband modem (1 Mbps). Internet access is slow at times with many
    > users on-line.

    > It is very expensive to increase the speed over 1 Mbps (some extra
    > wiring is required, I think).

    > The boss is toying the idea of adding a so called 3G wireless internet
    > by another internet access service provider, which purportedly
    > provides access for up to 3/4 Mbps. Please note that the 'wireless' is
    > for outside internet connection; users are still accessing internet
    > through LAN.

    > Question
    > --------
    > 1. Is it possible to have 2 internet access points in a LAN ?

    > 2. If possible, can the LAN be configured to automatically distribute
    > the internet traffic so that both are equally utilized ?

    > Thanks.

    This is most easily done in the router. There are commercial routers
    which do this; for example, the Linksys RV042. It's also possible
    to use two ISPs from one Linux machine used as a router. See the
    advanced routing howto.

    In either case, the other machines in the lan just use one gateway
    router which distributes the traffic as automatically as you want.

    --
    Dale Dellutri (lose the Q's)

+ Reply to Thread