Unable to use stunnel with tin... - Networking

This is a discussion on Unable to use stunnel with tin... - Networking ; On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 22:54:10 UTC in comp.os.linux.questions, Ant wrote: > /var/log/stunnel4/stunnel.log > It is empty. Try looking in /var/log/messages. -- Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Unable to use stunnel with tin...

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  2. Re: Unable to use stunnel with tin...

    On 6/15/2008 3:22 PM PT, Trevor Hemsley typed:

    > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 22:14:25 UTC in comp.os.linux.questions, Ant
    > wrote:
    >
    >> And you say my config file should work. Hmm.

    > There is an 'output =' line in the config file. I would uncomment that and point
    > it to /stunnel.log, start it up then look at /var/lib/stunnel4/stunnel.log for
    > pointers to the error. If it's missing a .pem file then you need to create one
    > and I don't know how you do that on Debian. You could also list all the files in
    > your /var/log directory and see if any of those contain useful info.

    Someone suggested trying running it as root just for kicks:

    stunnel3 -c -d 1119 -r news.giganews.com:563; tin -g localhost -p 1119
    tin 1.9.3 release 20080506 ("Dalintober") [UNIX] (c) Copyright 1991-2008
    Iain Lea.
    Connection to news server has timed out. Reconnect? (Y/n) Y

    It is not connecting. This is with both stunnel3 and stunnel4.
    --
    "God is a mean kid sitting on an ant-hill with a magnifying glass, and
    I'm the ant." --Bruce Nolan (Bruce Almighty movie)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
    Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer. Go
    Los Angeles/L.A. Lakers!

  3. Re: Unable to use stunnel with tin...

    >>> And you say my config file should work. Hmm.
    >>
    >> There is an 'output =' line in the config file. I would uncomment that
    >> and point
    >> it to /stunnel.log, start it up then look at
    >> /var/lib/stunnel4/stunnel.log for pointers to the error. If it's
    >> missing a .pem file then you need to create one and I don't know how
    >> you do that on Debian. You could also list all the files in
    >> your /var/log directory and see if any of those contain useful info.

    > Someone suggested trying running it as root just for kicks:
    >
    > stunnel3 -c -d 1119 -r news.giganews.com:563; tin -g localhost -p 1119
    > tin 1.9.3 release 20080506 ("Dalintober") [UNIX] (c) Copyright 1991-2008
    > Iain Lea.
    > Connection to news server has timed out. Reconnect? (Y/n) Y
    >
    > It is not connecting. This is with both stunnel3 and stunnel4.

    Wait! I got it to work with root. I forgot to disable my firewall via
    Guarddog. OK, it connects for both stunnel3 and stunnel4. Now, I need to
    make them run it without being root.
    --
    "I don't believe in evil, I believe only in horror. In nature there is
    no evil, only an abundance of horror: the plagues and the blights and
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
    Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer. Go
    Los Angeles/L.A. Lakers!

  4. Re: Unable to use stunnel with tin...

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:06:47 UTC in comp.os.linux.questions, Ant
    wrote:

    > I need to
    > make them run it without being root.

    Then I would copy your /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf to your own directory, amend
    all the user and group names in it to your own, change all the local port
    numbers to > 1024 and make sure that the chroot jail it points to is owned by
    you and that you have write access to it. Then invoke

    stunnel4 /path/to/your/stunnel.conf

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  5. Re: Unable to use stunnel with tin...

    On 6/15/2008 4:01 PM PT, Trevor Hemsley typed:

    > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 22:54:10 UTC in comp.os.linux.questions, Ant
    > wrote:
    >
    >> /var/log/stunnel4/stunnel.log
    >> It is empty.

    > Try looking in /var/log/messages.

    Nothing, BUT I got it to work. It was my firewall blocking it (disabled
    it via GuardDog). I also configured it to work with the firewall. And I
    no longer need to run it as root (no idea how I fixed it, maybe it was
    the firewall OR testing stunnel with root did something)!
    --
    "The ants and termites have renounced the Hobbesian war." --Petr Kropotkin
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
    Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer. Go
    Los Angeles/L.A. Lakers!

  6. Re: Unable to use stunnel with tin...

    On 6/15/2008 4:06 PM PT, Ant typed:

    >>> There is an 'output =' line in the config file. I would uncomment
    >>> that and point
    >>> it to /stunnel.log, start it up then look at
    >>> /var/lib/stunnel4/stunnel.log for pointers to the error. If it's
    >>> missing a .pem file then you need to create one and I don't know how
    >>> you do that on Debian. You could also list all the files in
    >>> your /var/log directory and see if any of those contain useful info.

    >> Someone suggested trying running it as root just for kicks:
    >>
    >> stunnel3 -c -d 1119 -r news.giganews.com:563; tin -g localhost -p 1119
    >> tin 1.9.3 release 20080506 ("Dalintober") [UNIX] (c) Copyright 1991-2008
    >> Iain Lea.
    >> Connection to news server has timed out. Reconnect? (Y/n) Y
    >>
    >> It is not connecting. This is with both stunnel3 and stunnel4.

    > Wait! I got it to work with root. I forgot to disable my firewall via
    > Guarddog. OK, it connects for both stunnel3 and stunnel4. Now, I need to
    > make them run it without being root.

    I configured the firewall to allow both port 563 and 1119 for stunnel
    command. And I no longer need to run it as root (no idea how I fixed it,
    maybe it was the firewall OR testing stunnel with root did something)!

    Thanks all!!
    --
    "In an ant colony, dew is a flood." --Afghan
    /\___/\