following wpa_supplicant negotiations. - Networking

This is a discussion on following wpa_supplicant negotiations. - Networking ; I am having trouble hooking up to a wireless network. Unfortunately everything inthe wireless chain reports NOTHING back. One has no idea where in the chain the negotiations are failing. wpa_supplicant does not report anything to any log file-- it ...

  1. following wpa_supplicant negotiations.

    I am having trouble hooking up to a wireless network. Unfortunately
    everything inthe wireless chain reports NOTHING back. One has no idea where
    in the chain the negotiations are failing. wpa_supplicant does not report
    anything to any log file-- it should be possible to have it report what it
    is trying to do and what the result is. I have tried the -d option, and
    there the reports are completely incomprehensible-- aconyms and terse
    statements comprehensible only to the original writer and I strongly
    suspect not even him. Is there some way of getting wpa_supplicant to report
    reasonable error messages to a log file somewhere? The same seems to be
    true of dhclient.

    Part of the real problem with the whole linux wireless thing is that linux
    does not create proper debugging information, so you know where the problem
    arises and thus have a clue as to how to fix it. Instead it seems to be
    developed on thewindows propriatary model-- report back nothing and let the
    user stew.

  2. Re: following wpa_supplicant negotiations.

    Unruh wrote:

    > strongly suspect not even him. Is there some way of getting wpa_supplicant
    > to report reasonable error messages to a log file somewhere? The same

    uh, wpa_supplicant has a debug switch (-d) which actually spits out a whole
    lot of info on the console

    cheers

    Mark

  3. Re: following wpa_supplicant negotiations.

    * Unruh peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > I am having trouble hooking up to a wireless network. Unfortunately
    > everything inthe wireless chain reports NOTHING back. One has no idea where
    > in the chain the negotiations are failing. wpa_supplicant does not report
    > anything to any log file-- it should be possible to have it report what it
    > is trying to do and what the result is. I have tried the -d option, and
    > there the reports are completely incomprehensible-- aconyms and terse
    > statements comprehensible only to the original writer and I strongly
    > suspect not even him. Is there some way of getting wpa_supplicant to report
    > reasonable error messages to a log file somewhere? The same seems to be
    > true of dhclient.
    >
    > Part of the real problem with the whole linux wireless thing is that linux
    > does not create proper debugging information, so you know where the problem
    > arises and thus have a clue as to how to fix it. Instead it seems to be
    > developed on thewindows propriatary model-- report back nothing and let the
    > user stew.

    I usually google to find the sequence of manual commands that can be
    used, then run them. They will show more information that way.

    You can also (on Debian) try reading /var/log/wpa_supplicant.wlan0.log
    or other files in that directory.

    --
    The anger of a woman is the greatest evil with which you can threaten your
    enemies.

+ Reply to Thread