    allow me to permanently configure eth0's IP address?

    -Thanks

  2. Re: How to make IP address permanent?

    On 2008-06-14, Fred wrote:
    > I have Fedora 9 installed on a PC. X is not working, so I cannot use
    > /usr/bin/system-config-network to configure the network interface. So, I
    > used the "setup" command, which allows you to configure networking.
    > However, this does not save the changes to the /etc/sysconfig/network*
    > files. Neither does ifconfig. Is there a "non-gui" tool which will
    > allow me to permanently configure eth0's IP address?

    system-config-network should figure out that it doesn't have X and run
    in an ncurses window. But, you can simply edit the
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file directly if you don't
    want to run it, or if it doesn't fall back to ncurses for some reason.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  3. Re: How to make IP address permanent?

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:23:58 -0700, Keith Keller wrote:

    > On 2008-06-14, Fred wrote:
    >> I have Fedora 9 installed on a PC. X is not working, so I cannot use
    >> /usr/bin/system-config-network to configure the network interface. So, I
    >> used the "setup" command, which allows you to configure networking.
    >> However, this does not save the changes to the /etc/sysconfig/network*
    >> files. Neither does ifconfig. Is there a "non-gui" tool which will
    >> allow me to permanently configure eth0's IP address?

    > system-config-network should figure out that it doesn't have X and run
    > in an ncurses window. But, you can simply edit the
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file directly if you don't
    > want to run it, or if it doesn't fall back to ncurses for some reason.
    >
    > --keith

    Yes, the ncurses version does run, I enter the network parameters, but it
    does not change or save them (as root). Great.

  4. Re: How to make IP address permanent?

    Fred writes:

    >I have Fedora 9 installed on a PC. X is not working, so I cannot use
    >/usr/bin/system-config-network to configure the network interface. So, I
    >used the "setup" command, which allows you to configure networking.
    >However, this does not save the changes to the /etc/sysconfig/network*
    >files. Neither does ifconfig. Is there a "non-gui" tool which will
    >allow me to permanently configure eth0's IP address?

    How about using an editor?

    >-Thanks

  5. Re: How to make IP address permanent?

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 14:23:55 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > How about using an editor?
    >
    >>-Thanks

    There are numerous settings besides the IP address in the
    /etc/sysconfig/networking config files. I have edited these files in the
    past, I'm just having difficulty believing that after all these years, I
    still have a need to do so.

  6. Re: How to make IP address permanent?

    On 2008-06-14, Fred wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:23:58 -0700, Keith Keller wrote:
    >>
    >> system-config-network should figure out that it doesn't have X and run
    >> in an ncurses window. But, you can simply edit the
    >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file directly if you don't
    >> want to run it, or if it doesn't fall back to ncurses for some reason.

    > Yes, the ncurses version does run, I enter the network parameters, but it
    > does not change or save them (as root). Great.

    No, it is not supposed to change them. After you run
    system-config-network, it's your job to run /etc/init.d/network restart
    to apply the changes. Depending on what else you have running this
    might not be such a great idea, which is why it's left to you.

    What is your evidence that it's not saving your changes? Did you look
    in the file in /etc/sysconfig/ that I quoted above? If your changes are
    in fact there, then just restart the network. If they're not there,
    then you have some more research to do. What happens when you edit the
    file by hand? Or if you move the file and have config-network recreate
    it?