DNS Server Addresses moved to router - Networking

This is a discussion on DNS Server Addresses moved to router - Networking ; I have a favorite site that I cannot access via my ISP's primary DNS server address. I CAN access it via the secondary DNS server. Rather than reconfigure and hunt up the second address every time I upgrade, I have ...

  1. DNS Server Addresses moved to router

    I have a favorite site that I cannot access via my ISP's primary DNS server
    address. I CAN access it via the secondary DNS server. Rather than
    reconfigure and hunt up the second address every time I upgrade, I have set
    the DNS addresses in my router, which stands between an ADSL modem in
    bridge mode and my (and my wife's) computer.

    Should I change my computer settings? The old settings: "use DHCP" etc
    still work, except that my BitTorrent port now shows Closed all the time.
    Previously I had port forwarding in the router, and it is still there.
    Should I perhaps be telling my interface that its DNS server is the router,
    or similar? Or should I put it back how it was originally?

    TIA,

    Doug.

  2. Re: DNS Server Addresses moved to router

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > I have a favorite site that I cannot access via my ISP's primary DNS server
    > address. I CAN access it via the secondary DNS server. Rather than
    > reconfigure and hunt up the second address every time I upgrade, I have set
    > the DNS addresses in my router, which stands between an ADSL modem in
    > bridge mode and my (and my wife's) computer.
    >
    > Should I change my computer settings? The old settings: "use DHCP" etc
    > still work, except that my BitTorrent port now shows Closed all the time.
    > Previously I had port forwarding in the router, and it is still there.
    > Should I perhaps be telling my interface that its DNS server is the router,
    > or similar? Or should I put it back how it was originally?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Doug.

    It shouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

+ Reply to Thread