How to find ip's on a network - Networking

This is a discussion on How to find ip's on a network - Networking ; Hi Do we have a command or program that lists every machine (ip) connected to a network? regardeless if the machines have or not running server programs. For example: if i need to list all the IPs on a network ...

  1. How to find ip's on a network

    Hi

    Do we have a command or program that lists every machine (ip) connected to a
    network? regardeless if the machines have or not running server programs.

    For example: if i need to list all the IPs on a network
    192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 what must i do?

    i've been trying to do this with nmap, but the results haven't been very
    trusty... it fails detecting my printer some times even when it is on and i
    can ping it.

    Thanks
    ArameFarpado

  2. Re: How to find ip's on a network

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 02:29:50 +0100, ArameFarpado
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Do we have a command or program that lists every machine (ip) connected to a
    >network? regardeless if the machines have or not running server programs.
    >
    >For example: if i need to list all the IPs on a network
    >192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 what must i do?
    >
    >i've been trying to do this with nmap, but the results haven't been very
    >trusty... it fails detecting my printer some times even when it is on and i
    >can ping it.
    >
    >Thanks
    >ArameFarpado

    Does 'arp -n' do what you want?
    --
    buck

  3. Re: How to find ip's on a network

    On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 19:53:27 -0700, buck passed an empty day by writing:

    > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 02:29:50 +0100, ArameFarpado
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>Do we have a command or program that lists every machine (ip) connected
    >>to a network? regardeless if the machines have or not running server
    >>programs.
    >>
    >>For example: if i need to list all the IPs on a network
    >>192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 what must i do?
    >>
    >>i've been trying to do this with nmap, but the results haven't been very
    >>trusty... it fails detecting my printer some times even when it is on
    >>and i can ping it.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>ArameFarpado

    > Does 'arp -n' do what you want?

    It did not work on my box, it just listed the gateway.

    This application (windoze sadly) does what you want and is freeware. I
    would love to know how to do it with Linux myself.

    http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/

  4. Re: How to find ip's on a network

    On Jun 10, 10:29 pm, ArameFarpado wrote:
    > i've been trying to do this with nmap, but the results haven't been very
    > trusty... it fails detecting my printer some times even when it is on and i
    > can ping it.

    It didn't work?

    # nmap -sP -n 192.168.*.*

    Unless you have a ARP flooding protection mechanism, it should work
    fine.

  5. Re: How to find ip's on a network

    take a look at ettercap AFAIK it uses arp to scan so should not fail.
    --
    Nurullah Akkaya

  6. Re: How to find ip's on a network

    ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Do we have a command or program that lists every machine (ip) connected to a
    > network? regardeless if the machines have or not running server programs.
    >
    > For example: if i need to list all the IPs on a network
    > 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 what must i do?

    For my 192.168.2.0 network, it's:
    nmap -sS -p0 192.168.2.0/24
    That gets everything.

    For yours?
    nmap -sS -p0 192.168.0.0/16

    --Benjamin Franklin

  7. Re: How to find ip's on a network

    Em Quarta, 11 de Junho de 2008 17:56, pedro.forum@gmail.com escreveu:

    Hi

    > It didn't work?
    >
    > # nmap -sP -n 192.168.*.*

    it wasn't... before

    > Unless you have a ARP flooding protection mechanism, it should work
    > fine.

    indeed... i've temporary set a new netmask and a new route, but i've forgot
    to re-set the "area" on the firewall parameters, so nmap was not working
    fine... and yes, the firewall was blocking ARP protocol.

    now, my search for a possible unknown IP is going:
    nothing extra in 192.168.*.*

    i'm testing now 10.*.*.* and this test will be going on for several hours

    this time i'll be sure if my switch own (or not) an IP adress, and with it,
    a web based administration page.

    and i've learn a lot with you guys

    thanks, to all

    ArameFarpado

  8. Re: How to find ip's on a network

    Em Quarta, 11 de Junho de 2008 08:04, Klunk escreveu:

    >> Does 'arp -n' do what you want?

    > It did not work on my box, it just listed the gateway.
    >
    > This application (windoze sadly) does what you want and is freeware. I
    > would love to know how to do it with Linux myself.

    read my other reply to "pedro.forum"

    > http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/

    Ahhh, not really what i've had in mind, but downloaded...
    this program would be handy (if i had knowledge of it) a month ago, when i
    was confronted with a ip conflit in a windows network.
    didn't get to understand why a dhcp server would give to a pc an IP that was
    allready used by the web administrative interface of an wireless access
    point... with the agravation that none of us known that the AP had a IP
    adress for itself. it took us (me and another guy) about 6 hours to
    understand what was going on... pretty nut situation

    Thanks a lot
    ArameFarpado

  9. Re: How to find ip's on a network

    ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Do we have a command or program that lists every machine (ip) connected to a
    > network? regardeless if the machines have or not running server programs.
    >
    > For example: if i need to list all the IPs on a network
    > 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 what must i do?
    >
    > i've been trying to do this with nmap, but the results haven't been very
    > trusty... it fails detecting my printer some times even when it is on and i
    > can ping it.
    >
    > Thanks
    > ArameFarpado

    http://www.angryziber.com

  10. Re: How to find ip's on a network

    Em Quinta, 12 de Junho de 2008 00:48, Cork Soaker escreveu:

    > http://www.angryziber.com

    Ok, another possible solution...

    i've tryied this one just a few hours ago, and it's strange:
    how come the program detected more than 11000 active hosts in 10.x.x.x when
    there was only 3 pc's, a printer and a switch connected?

    wierd...

    thanks
    ArameFarpado

  11. Re: How to find ip's on a network

    On 2008-06-12, ArameFarpado wrote:

    >> http://www.angryziber.com

    > Ok, another possible solution...
    >
    > i've tryied this one just a few hours ago, and it's strange:
    > how come the program detected more than 11000 active hosts in 10.x.x.x when
    > there was only 3 pc's, a printer and a switch connected?

    Maybe your provider uses the same 10.x.x.x range, and you scanned their
    network, too ?

    BTW: why would you use that range, instead of the more reasonable
    192.168.n.y ?

    --
    The sand remembers once there was beach and sunshine
    but chip is warm too

  12. Re: How to find ip's on a network

    Em Quinta, 12 de Junho de 2008 19:20, Rikishi 42 escreveu:

    > On 2008-06-12, ArameFarpado wrote:
    >
    >>> http://www.angryziber.com

    >> Ok, another possible solution...
    >>
    >> i've tryied this one just a few hours ago, and it's strange:
    >> how come the program detected more than 11000 active hosts in 10.x.x.x
    >> when there was only 3 pc's, a printer and a switch connected?

    > Maybe your provider uses the same 10.x.x.x range, and you scanned their
    > network, too ?

    nope, connection to my isp is made trough another ethernet card, and it was
    down all night.

    > BTW: why would you use that range, instead of the more reasonable
    > 192.168.n.y ?

    i'm trying to find out if my switch has a ip for it's own... some of them
    have it for web based administration.
    i've looked at 192.168.x.x allready, but it could have been set to 10.x.x.x
    by factory... dumb manual doesn't even mention about it.

    regards
    ArameFarpado

  13. Re: How to find ip's on a network

    ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Em Quinta, 12 de Junho de 2008 00:48, Cork Soaker escreveu:
    >
    >> http://www.angryziber.com

    > Ok, another possible solution...
    >
    > i've tryied this one just a few hours ago, and it's strange:
    > how come the program detected more than 11000 active hosts in 10.x.x.x when
    > there was only 3 pc's, a printer and a switch connected?
    >
    > wierd...

    Did you let it resolve to hostnames? It could be down to sheer madness,
    or lunacy.

    Works ok for me, and always has, on Linux and on "the other" OS.

  14. Re: How to find ip's on a network

    Em Quinta, 12 de Junho de 2008 22:29, Cork Soaker escreveu:

    > ArameFarpado wrote:
    >> Em Quinta, 12 de Junho de 2008 00:48, Cork Soaker escreveu:
    >>
    >>> http://www.angryziber.com

    >> Ok, another possible solution...
    >>
    >> i've tryied this one just a few hours ago, and it's strange:
    >> how come the program detected more than 11000 active hosts in 10.x.x.x
    >> when there was only 3 pc's, a printer and a switch connected?
    >>
    >> wierd...
    >>

    > Did you let it resolve to hostnames? It could be down to sheer madness,
    > or lunacy.

    don't know... but i didn't let the program access a DNS resolver. it was
    working on a "temporary close to internet" network

    don't know what appened.

    regards
    ArameFarpado

  15. Re: How to find ip's on a network

    ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Em Quinta, 12 de Junho de 2008 22:29, Cork Soaker escreveu:
    >
    >> ArameFarpado wrote:

    >>> Ok, another possible solution...
    >>>
    >>> i've tryied this one just a few hours ago, and it's strange:
    >>> how come the program detected more than 11000 active hosts in 10.x.x.x
    >>> when there was only 3 pc's, a printer and a switch connected?
    >>>
    >>> wierd...
    >>>

    >> Did you let it resolve to hostnames? It could be down to sheer madness,
    >> or lunacy.

    > don't know... but i didn't let the program access a DNS resolver. it was
    > working on a "temporary close to internet" network
    >
    > don't know what appened.

    Is it working ok now?

  16. Re: How to find ip's on a network

    Em Sexta, 13 de Junho de 2008 00:08, Cork Soaker escreveu:

    >> don't know what appened.

    > Is it working ok now?

    No

    just tested it right now on a range 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
    at the moment i have 2 machines on (192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.5)

    the list is ok, if you check the hostname column, but the sumary results
    give
    Hosts scanned: 254
    Hosts alive: 254

    ?????
    the first test i've made with it generated a lot of pages on the list, so i
    just look at the sumary "scan statistics"

    regards
    ArameFarpado

+ Reply to Thread