Excess ARP requests - Networking

This is a discussion on Excess ARP requests - Networking ; I am noticing ARP requests for a destination being sent about every 30 seconds while I have a continuous ping going to that destination. To suppress them I have tried a few things to no avail. 1. I set static ...

  1. Excess ARP requests

    I am noticing ARP requests for a destination being sent about every 30
    seconds while I have a continuous ping going to that destination. To
    suppress them I have tried a few things to no avail.

    1. I set static a ARP entry for the destination and it still sent out
    the ARP requests, behaving as if it did not read the static ARP entry.

    2. I tried setting a static ARP entry and then turning off ARP. In
    that case it just hung. It was again behaving as if it did not read
    the static ARP entry.

    3. I tried increasing the base_reachable_time in the proc file
    system, which had no effect. Does it have to be changed in a config
    file somewhere to have an effect?

    Any ideas? I am running Linux 2.6.10 on PPC.

  2. Re: Excess ARP requests

    On Jun 9, 9:29 am, Bill wrote:
    > I am noticing ARP requests for a destination being sent about every 30
    > seconds while I have a continuous ping going to that destination. To
    > suppress them I have tried a few things to no avail.
    >
    > 1. I set static a ARP entry for the destination and it still sent out
    > the ARP requests, behaving as if it did not read the static ARP entry.
    >
    > 2. I tried setting a static ARP entry and then turning off ARP. In
    > that case it just hung. It was again behaving as if it did not read
    > the static ARP entry.
    >
    > 3. I tried increasing the base_reachable_time in the proc file
    > system, which had no effect. Does it have to be changed in a config
    > file somewhere to have an effect?
    >
    > Any ideas? I am running Linux 2.6.10 on PPC.

    Strange a little, The machine should not send ARP request if it has
    the MAC address of the machine it wishes to contact statically added
    even if you added a wrong MAC address, The connection should fail.
    May you have any other application that delete this static entry as
    some applications do? so make sure that the entry still there after
    you added it with a command like "arp -a" on Windows or a Linux
    machine,
    if it's statically added you should see it's like this
    arp -a
    192.168.1.1 00-14-16-17-2a-84 static
    192.168.1.92 00-15-f2-5f-40-6b dynamic
    Notice the static word?
    And on our dear Linux it should appears like
    ? (192.168.1.35) at 00:118:B4C:C9 [ether] PERM on eth1
    ? (192.168.1.245) at 00:C0:26:82:C0:E6 [ether] on eth1
    "PERM" means statically added and "on" means it's dynamic or you may
    try the arp command without options on Linux
    arp
    192.168.1.245 ether 00:C0:26:82:C0:E6
    C eth1
    192.168.1.18 ether 00:15:F2:5E:1C5
    CM eth1
    "C" means dynamic entry and "CM" means static entry.
    Regards,

  3. Re: Excess ARP requests

    habibielwa7id wrote:

    > And on our dear Linux it should appears like
    > ? (192.168.1.35) at 00:118:B4C:C9 [ether] PERM on eth1
    > ? (192.168.1.245) at 00:C0:26:82:C0:E6 [ether] on eth1
    > "PERM" means statically added and "on" means it's dynamic or you may
    > try the arp command without options on Linux

    Just a wild guess, but any chance the OP has more than one interface
    on the system and perhaps the system decided to go out the interface
    other than the one with the static entry?

    rick jones

  4. Re: Excess ARP requests

    On Jun 9, 5:39 pm, Rick Jones wrote:
    > habibielwa7id wrote:
    > > And on our dear Linux it should appears like
    > > ? (192.168.1.35) at 00:118:B4C:C9 [ether] PERM on eth1
    > > ? (192.168.1.245) at 00:C0:26:82:C0:E6 [ether] on eth1
    > > "PERM" means statically added and "on" means it's dynamic or you may
    > > try the arp command without options on Linux

    > Just a wild guess, but any chance the OP has more than one interface
    > on the system and perhaps the system decided to go out the interface
    > other than the one with the static entry?
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > a wide gulf separates "what if" from "if only"
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

    I set the static ARP entries on both interfaces in the system.

+ Reply to Thread