    VPN network addresses are given dynamically by my router.

    Geoff Lane

  2. Re: Two remote VPN Connections

    On 2008-06-08, Geoff Lane wrote:
    > I have a home network operating behind a NAT router, this router has a
    > built in VPN server. My machines are two Linux desktops and an XP laptop.
    >
    > If two remote machines connect, using VPN, to my router will each remote
    > machine's shared files/folders be available to each other.

    Yes. If each tun/tap tunnel is bridged to your LAN then they will act
    just like they were part of your LAN.

    > VPN network addresses are given dynamically by my router.

    This would make it difficult for the machines to find each other. Why
    not assign static addresses to machines that correctly identify
    themselves using X509 certificates? Use the client-config-dir option if
    you are using openvpn.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  3. Re: Two remote VPN Connections

    Gregory Shearman wrote:
    > On 2008-06-08, Geoff Lane wrote:
    >> I have a home network operating behind a NAT router, this router has a
    >> built in VPN server. My machines are two Linux desktops and an XP laptop.
    >>
    >> If two remote machines connect, using VPN, to my router will each remote
    >> machine's shared files/folders be available to each other.

    > Yes. If each tun/tap tunnel is bridged to your LAN then they will act
    > just like they were part of your LAN.
    >
    >> VPN network addresses are given dynamically by my router.

    > This would make it difficult for the machines to find each other. Why
    > not assign static addresses to machines that correctly identify
    > themselves using X509 certificates? Use the client-config-dir option if
    > you are using openvpn.

    I have a feeling the router isn't running Linux?

  4. Re: Two remote VPN Connections

    Cork Soaker wrote:

    >> This would make it difficult for the machines to find each other. Why
    >> not assign static addresses to machines that correctly identify
    >> themselves using X509 certificates? Use the client-config-dir option if
    >> you are using openvpn.
    >>

    > I have a feeling the router isn't running Linux?

    It's a Draytek Vigor 2600, just an ordinary web or telnet interface.

    Geoff Lane

  5. Re: Two remote VPN Connections

    Gregory Shearman wrote:

    >> VPN network addresses are given dynamically by my router.

    > This would make it difficult for the machines to find each other. Why
    > not assign static addresses to machines that correctly identify
    > themselves using X509 certificates? Use the client-config-dir option if
    > you are using openvpn.

    Thanks, I may look in to static VPN IPs.

    Geoff Lane

  6. Re: Two remote VPN Connections

    On 2008-06-08, Geoff Lane wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >
    >>> This would make it difficult for the machines to find each other. Why
    >>> not assign static addresses to machines that correctly identify
    >>> themselves using X509 certificates? Use the client-config-dir option if
    >>> you are using openvpn.
    >>>

    >> I have a feeling the router isn't running Linux?

    > It's a Draytek Vigor 2600, just an ordinary web or telnet interface.

    Check the options on the web interface for the router. You may be able
    to set static IPs for your machines. I run openvpn on a Linksys WRT54GL
    router using openwrt as the linux operating system.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  7. Re: Two remote VPN Connections

    Gregory Shearman wrote:

    >>> I have a feeling the router isn't running Linux?

    >> It's a Draytek Vigor 2600, just an ordinary web or telnet interface.

    > Check the options on the web interface for the router. You may be able
    > to set static IPs for your machines. I run openvpn on a Linksys WRT54GL
    > router using openwrt as the linux operating system.

    You definitely can on the 2600 for direct-connected machines, but by the
    look of things, you can not do this for VPN connections, only specify a
    range.

    So long as winbind is configured correctly the machines should see each
    other anyway.

    But, not many people have had much luck with the Draytek VPNs!

  8. Re: Two remote VPN Connections

    Cork Soaker wrote:

    > But, not many people have had much luck with the Draytek VPNs!

    I've been reasonably successful with it but only setting up a connection
    to use VNC by to assist some friends and relatives.

    Geoff Lane

+ Reply to Thread