Networking a printer - Networking

This is a discussion on Networking a printer - Networking ; I want to make my printer available to two computers on a network. I have a Linux desktop and a laptop running Windows XP. The printer is currently connected via USB to the Linux box. I have given up trying ...

  1. Networking a printer

    I want to make my printer available to two computers on a network. I have a
    Linux desktop and a laptop running Windows XP. The printer is currently
    connected via USB to the Linux box. I have given up trying to make it
    visible to the laptop with Samba. Moving the physical connection to the XP
    laptop might work better, but the location is less desirable.

    It seems that I can buy a printer with wireless networking built in, or buy
    a modem/router with a USB outlet. What are the relative technical merits
    of the two alternatives? From a user perspective, the USB router option
    would mean replacing the present separate modem and router with one unit,
    and the choice of printers would not be restricted for the future, I think?

    Doug.

  2. Re: Networking a printer

    I would choose WiFi/LAN print server. That way both XP and Linux will
    see your printer and you won't have to change your current router and
    your printer. Print servers are relatively cheap nowadays.

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > I want to make my printer available to two computers on a network. I have a
    > Linux desktop and a laptop running Windows XP. The printer is currently
    > connected via USB to the Linux box. I have given up trying to make it
    > visible to the laptop with Samba. Moving the physical connection to the XP
    > laptop might work better, but the location is less desirable.
    >
    > It seems that I can buy a printer with wireless networking built in, or buy
    > a modem/router with a USB outlet. What are the relative technical merits
    > of the two alternatives? From a user perspective, the USB router option
    > would mean replacing the present separate modem and router with one unit,
    > and the choice of printers would not be restricted for the future, I think?
    >
    > Doug.

  3. Re: Networking a printer

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I want to make my printer available to two computers on a network. I have a
    > Linux desktop and a laptop running Windows XP. The printer is currently
    > connected via USB to the Linux box. I have given up trying to make it
    > visible to the laptop with Samba. Moving the physical connection to the XP
    > laptop might work better, but the location is less desirable.

    I've got the same set up and my printer works fine through the Linux
    machine to my XP and vista laptops.

    What Linux distro are you using and are any file shares available from
    the Linux box.

    If you go down the line of a print server be careful as many appear to
    mainly support Windows networking so you may have difficulties with the
    Linux machine.

    My daughter uses an edimax WPA PS-1206MFg which I chose as it supports
    numerous print protocols.

    Geoff Lane

  4. Re: Networking a printer

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I want to make my printer available to two computers on a network. I
    > have a
    > Linux desktop and a laptop running Windows XP. The printer is
    > currently
    > connected via USB to the Linux box. I have given up trying to make it
    > visible to the laptop with Samba.

    From XP you might directly print to CUPS on the Linux desktop. No Samba
    needed here. You have to configure CUPS to accept connections from the
    local network and install a postscript driver on the Windows client.

    G√ľnther

  5. Re: Networking a printer

    GŁnther Schwarz wrote:
    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> I want to make my printer available to two computers on a network. I
    >> have a
    >> Linux desktop and a laptop running Windows XP. The printer is
    >> currently
    >> connected via USB to the Linux box. I have given up trying to make it
    >> visible to the laptop with Samba.

    > From XP you might directly print to CUPS on the Linux desktop. No Samba
    > needed here. You have to configure CUPS to accept connections from the
    > local network and install a postscript driver on the Windows client.

    If you don't want to buy new hardware, CUPS is what I'd recommend.
    http printing wasn't invented by MS. It was invented on UNIX with CUPS
    leading a good portion of the charge. XP understands http printing.
    You just won't be able to browse it in Network Neighborhood.

    If you're willing to get new hardware, something JetDirect-compatible
    means you don't have to have the desktop on to print from the laptop.

  6. Re: Networking a printer

    Allen Kistler wrote:

    > G√ľnther Schwarz wrote:
    >> Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to make my printer available to two computers on a network. I
    >>> have a
    >>> Linux desktop and a laptop running Windows XP. The printer is
    >>> currently
    >>> connected via USB to the Linux box. I have given up trying to make it
    >>> visible to the laptop with Samba.

    >> From XP you might directly print to CUPS on the Linux desktop. No Samba
    >> needed here. You have to configure CUPS to accept connections from the
    >> local network and install a postscript driver on the Windows client.

    > If you don't want to buy new hardware, CUPS is what I'd recommend.
    > http printing wasn't invented by MS. It was invented on UNIX with CUPS
    > leading a good portion of the charge. XP understands http printing.
    > You just won't be able to browse it in Network Neighborhood.
    >
    > If you're willing to get new hardware, something JetDirect-compatible
    > means you don't have to have the desktop on to print from the laptop.

    In the past, I have used Adobe's winsteng.exe on the XP client, but that
    doesn't work with the Brother printer, and isn't supported according to the
    manufacturer. But that was via Samba.

    Thanks for the tip about JetDirect.

    Doug.

  7. Re: Networking a printer

    Geoff Lane wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> I want to make my printer available to two computers on a network. I
    >> have a
    >> Linux desktop and a laptop running Windows XP. The printer is currently
    >> connected via USB to the Linux box. I have given up trying to make it
    >> visible to the laptop with Samba. Moving the physical connection to the
    >> XP laptop might work better, but the location is less desirable.

    > I've got the same set up and my printer works fine through the Linux
    > machine to my XP and vista laptops.
    >
    > What Linux distro are you using and are any file shares available from
    > the Linux box.
    >
    > If you go down the line of a print server be careful as many appear to
    > mainly support Windows networking so you may have difficulties with the
    > Linux machine.
    >
    > My daughter uses an edimax WPA PS-1206MFg which I chose as it supports
    > numerous print protocols.
    >
    > Geoff Lane

    Hi Geoff.

    I am in Australia. D-link is available, but I notice from their site that
    they support Linux printing via LPR. A Brother driver for LPRng is
    installed, with a CUPS "wrapper".

    (*KDE can't parse the PPD file, and I get slow, one-line-at-a-time printing.
    Is this what LPR would be like?)

    Forget that. I have just downloaded updated drivers, and it prints correctly, as under Windows.

    Doug.

  8. Re: Networking a printer

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Geoff Lane wrote:
    >
    >> Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to make my printer available to two computers on a network. I
    >>> have a
    >>> Linux desktop and a laptop running Windows XP. The printer is currently
    >>> connected via USB to the Linux box. I have given up trying to make it
    >>> visible to the laptop with Samba. Moving the physical connection to the
    >>> XP laptop might work better, but the location is less desirable.

    >> I've got the same set up and my printer works fine through the Linux
    >> machine to my XP and vista laptops.
    >>
    >> What Linux distro are you using and are any file shares available from
    >> the Linux box.
    >>
    >> If you go down the line of a print server be careful as many appear to
    >> mainly support Windows networking so you may have difficulties with the
    >> Linux machine.
    >>
    >> My daughter uses an edimax WPA PS-1206MFg which I chose as it supports
    >> numerous print protocols.
    >>
    >> Geoff Lane
    >>

    > Hi Geoff.
    >
    > I am in Australia. D-link is available, but I notice from their site that
    > they support Linux printing via LPR. A Brother driver for LPRng is
    > installed, with a CUPS "wrapper".
    >
    > (*KDE can't parse the PPD file, and I get slow, one-line-at-a-time
    > printing. Is this what LPR would be like?)
    >
    > Forget that. I have just downloaded updated drivers, and it prints
    > correctly, as under Windows.
    >
    > Doug.

    Further progress: The laptop could see my Samba printer, and called for the
    disk. I browsed to the .inf file on the driver disk, selected my printer
    from the list, and printing now works. Printing from Acrobat takes ages
    (15+ minutes)to migrate to the printer, but works when it gets there.

    Doug.

  9. Re: Networking a printer

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    >> Forget that. I have just downloaded updated drivers, and it prints
    >> correctly, as under Windows.
    >>
    >> Doug.
    >>

    > Further progress: The laptop could see my Samba printer, and called for the
    > disk. I browsed to the .inf file on the driver disk, selected my printer
    > from the list, and printing now works. Printing from Acrobat takes ages
    > (15+ minutes)to migrate to the printer, but works when it gets there.

    That's good, Linux networking is generally much easier than Windows.

    Geoff Lane

  10. Re: Networking a printer

    On 2008-05-30 08:45, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > I want to make my printer available to two computers on a network. I have a
    > Linux desktop and a laptop running Windows XP. The printer is currently
    > connected via USB to the Linux box. I have given up trying to make it
    > visible to the laptop with Samba. Moving the physical connection to the XP
    > laptop might work better, but the location is less desirable.
    >
    > It seems that I can buy a printer with wireless networking built in, or buy
    > a modem/router with a USB outlet. What are the relative technical merits
    > of the two alternatives? From a user perspective, the USB router option
    > would mean replacing the present separate modem and router with one unit,
    > and the choice of printers would not be restricted for the future, I think?
    >
    > Doug.

    Your XP can use the printer http://your_linuxbox:631/printername
    (or maybe ipp://your_linuxbox/printername )

    You can browse to the same address and login as admin, and change
    the settings.

    use lppasswd to set password and group for admin and other users,

    check the file /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to see what authentication
    it expect for the admin page.

    eg. if the group sys is reguired use lppasswd -a -g sys user

    All other linux boxes can get the printers attached to another linux box
    by adding:
    BrowsePoll host-or-ip-address in cupsd.conf

    Or you can make a client only config by creating a client.conf file
    with the contents:
    ServerName host-or-ip[ort]
    But in that case, it can't have any local printer.

    OR, setup the slpd deamon, on one machine and they just find it.
    do man cupsd.conf and look at slp.

    When this is set, you never need to configure remote printing more,
    they are there after a new install.

    But windows still need drivers, since they need special software
    drivers for everything, and don't seems to just grab the config
    from http://your_linuxbox:631/printername.ppd

    Maybe it's just so simple it try to find XXXXXX.PPD :-)
    I'm not sure, I don't touch windows.

    /bb

    --
    echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D212153574F444E49572045535520454\
    D20454B414D204F54204847554F4E452059415020544F4E4E4 143205345544147204C4C4942\

+ Reply to Thread