Linksys Router Models - Networking

This is a discussion on Linksys Router Models - Networking ; Hey, i need some help concerning Linksys Router Models: Is the WRT54G-D2 the same (Hardware) as WRT54GL ? D seems to be the "german"-Model with the german software. But is the Hardware (Memory,Processor,Chipset ...) the same ? Is it possible ...

  1. Linksys Router Models

    Hey,

    i need some help concerning Linksys Router Models:

    Is the WRT54G-D2 the same (Hardware) as WRT54GL ?
    D seems to be the "german"-Model with the german software. But is the
    Hardware (Memory,Processor,Chipset ...) the same ?

    Is it possible to use DD-WRT on G-D2 ? Becaue D2 seems to be the
    cheapest model ;-).

    THANKS !!!

    regard
    Manfred

  2. Re: Linksys Router Models

    mforsthu writes:

    > Hey,
    >

    > i need some help concerning Linksys Router Models:
    >
    > Is the WRT54G-D2 the same (Hardware) as WRT54GL ?
    > D seems to be the "german"-Model with the german software. But is the
    > Hardware (Memory,Processor,Chipset ...) the same ?
    >
    > Is it possible to use DD-WRT on G-D2 ? Becaue D2 seems to be the
    > cheapest model ;-).

    http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

    The WRT54G != WRT54GL.

    If the d2 is a spin on the G, I wouldn't expect it to have the same
    amount of RAM as the GL.

    If you want to keep your life low drama, just get a GL.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Linksys Router Models

    >> Is the WRT54G-D2 the same (Hardware) as WRT54GL ?
    >> D seems to be the "german"-Model with the german software. But is the
    >> Hardware (Memory,Processor,Chipset ...) the same ?

    If it's new, then it's not the same. The WRT54GL is similar to older
    WRT54G (i.e. more RAM and more Flash).

    > If you want to keep your life low drama, just get a GL.

    Better yet, get some other brand: you can get one as good as a WRT54GL
    for less than a WRT54G. Check http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware

    Stefan

  4. Re: Linksys Router Models

    > Better yet, get some other brand: you can get one as good as a WRT54GL
    > for less than a WRT54G. *Checkhttp://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware

    Thanks for you infos. Which other brand(s) would you prefer ? Some
    experiences ?

  5. Re: Linksys Router Models

    >> Better yet, get some other brand: you can get one as good as a WRT54GL
    >> for less than a WRT54G. *Checkhttp://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware

    > Thanks for you infos. Which other brand(s) would you prefer ? Some
    > experiences ?

    AFAIC, brands are just names. Most of the cheap home routers use all
    the same components anyway, so check the above URL to see the actual
    hardware-features (RAM, Flash, USB ports, CPU) and combine that with the
    boxes you find and their price.

    Most of the rest of the difference is in the sticker, the shape and size
    of the box, and the features provided in the vendor's firmware, which
    doesn't matter anyway if you replace it with OpenWRT.

    Stefan

+ Reply to Thread