"drive could not be mapped because no network was found" - Networking

This is a discussion on "drive could not be mapped because no network was found" - Networking ; I take this to be more of a windoze problem than Samba. This workstation was able to access my samba share 3 days ago. Today when I plugged it back on my network, I experience this error. I have a ...

  1. "drive could not be mapped because no network was found"

    I take this to be more of a windoze problem than Samba. This
    workstation was able to access my samba share 3 days ago. Today when I
    plugged it back on my network, I experience this error. I have a
    VMWare machine running on the linux box and is able to access the
    share OK, so this must be a windoze problem. It really sux because I
    had this workstation remimaged less than a week ago.

    I did a google search an everybody that experiences this error points
    to the Windows Workstation service not running. This is not my case,
    plus I've rebooted the workstation twice.

    I appreciate any ideas.

    Thanks,

    Erasmo.

  2. Re: "drive could not be mapped because no network was found"

    On May 22, 7:27 pm, Erasmo Acosta wrote:
    > I take this to be more of a windoze problem than Samba. This
    > workstation was able to access my samba share 3 days ago. Today when I
    > plugged it back on my network, I experience this error. I have a
    > VMWare machine running on the linux box and is able to access the
    > share OK, so this must be a windoze problem. It really sux because I
    > had this workstation remimaged less than a week ago.
    >
    > I did a google search an everybody that experiences this error points
    > to the Windows Workstation service not running. This is not my case,
    > plus I've rebooted the workstation twice.
    >
    > I appreciate any ideas.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Erasmo.

    And even more bizarre, I can mount the windows C drive from the linux
    box!

  3. Re: "drive could not be mapped because no network was found"

    On May 22, 7:35 pm, Erasmo Acosta wrote:
    > On May 22, 7:27 pm, Erasmo Acosta wrote:
    >

    > > I take this to be more of a windoze problem thanSamba. This
    > > workstation was able to access mysambashare 3 days ago. Today when I
    > > plugged it back on my network, I experience this error. I have a
    > > VMWare machine running on the linux box and is able to access the
    > > share OK, so this must be a windoze problem. It really sux because I
    > > had this workstation remimaged less than a week ago.

    > > I did a google search an everybody that experiences this error points
    > > to the Windows Workstation service not running. This is not my case,
    > > plus I've rebooted the workstation twice.

    > > I appreciate any ideas.

    > > Thanks,

    > > Erasmo.

    > And even more bizarre, I can mount the windows C drive from the linux
    > box!

    Super more bizarre!!!

    instead of \\server\share I tried \\server_ip_address\share and it
    finally worked! After this, I tried again \\server\share and it worked
    to. Big Kudos to MicroSlosh!!

  4. Re: "drive could not be mapped because no network was found"

    Erasmo Acosta wrote:
    > On May 22, 7:35 pm, Erasmo Acosta wrote:
    >> On May 22, 7:27 pm, Erasmo Acosta wrote:
    >>

    >>> I take this to be more of a windoze problem thanSamba. This
    >>> workstation was able to access mysambashare 3 days ago. Today when I
    >>> plugged it back on my network, I experience this error. I have a
    >>> VMWare machine running on the linux box and is able to access the
    >>> share OK, so this must be a windoze problem. It really sux because I
    >>> had this workstation remimaged less than a week ago.
    >>> I did a google search an everybody that experiences this error points
    >>> to the Windows Workstation service not running. This is not my case,
    >>> plus I've rebooted the workstation twice.
    >>> I appreciate any ideas.
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Erasmo.

    >> And even more bizarre, I can mount the windows C drive from the linux
    >> box!

    > Super more bizarre!!!
    >
    > instead of \\server\share I tried \\server_ip_address\share and it
    > finally worked! After this, I tried again \\server\share and it worked
    > to. Big Kudos to MicroSlosh!!

    It's not uncommon to be able to access shares by ip address rather than
    computer name, especially if you have a complicated network setup (with
    different parts on different subnets). Windows can map names to IP
    addresses in different ways - using "hosts" files, using DNS, using a
    WINS server, or using broadcast queries. It sounds like for some reason
    your workstation can't get a broadcast reply from the samba server, and
    thus can't identify it by name. If your network setup is complicated,
    try setting up a WINS server (samba can do that) and using that as a
    central point for names.

+ Reply to Thread