How to Erase Windows Explorer cached passwords? - Networking

This is a discussion on How to Erase Windows Explorer cached passwords? - Networking ; When I map a network drive in Windows Explorer on a domain, I get the option of telling windows explorer to remember the password. If I select that option the password is stored from then on. How can I clear ...

  1. How to Erase Windows Explorer cached passwords?

    When I map a network drive in Windows Explorer on a domain, I get the
    option of telling windows explorer to remember the password. If I
    select that option the password is stored from then on. How can I clear
    those passwords?

    /P

  2. Re: How to Erase Windows Explorer cached passwords?

    In a domain environment the user shouldn't have to supply a password to
    a resource. All authentication is done by Active Directory. They either
    have access to the resource or they dont. Set share permissions on the
    shared folder to allow access from the user you are mapping from. Then
    configure NTFS permissions for all sub folders to your needs.

    Hope this helps,

    psg

  3. Re: How to Erase Windows Explorer cached passwords?

    One way I know is to double-click the box that's coming up with your
    sensitive data or password, and then click the unwanted entry once and
    press Delete. That gets rid of it.

  4. Re: How to Erase Windows Explorer cached passwords?

    In a domain environment. If you try to access a resource from a machine
    that is a member of the domain alternate credentials will not be asked
    for. If you try from a machine that is not a member of the domain,
    depending on permissions set on the share you, will be prompted for
    alternate credentials.

    Is the machine you are trying to map from a member of the domain that
    the pc you are mapping to? If so follow my steps above. If they are not
    both members of the domain simply change the password of the domain
    account that you are using to connect to the resource. When the mapped
    drive is accessed the next time the passwords will not match and the
    user will be prompted to supply domain credentials.

    hope this helps,
    psg

  5. Re: How to Erase Windows Explorer cached passwords?

    I'm mapping drives on a machine which is not member of the domain. When
    the admin password used to map drives to the machine in question gets
    changed, I get an error: "element not found". I realized that if I
    disconnect all drives, that clears the stored passwords (might need a
    reboot in between, can't be certain now). That sorts that.

    I also a password stored in via Internet Explorer to an FTP site. I
    have tried to delete all stored passwords in IE, but that doesn't seem
    to affect the FTP stored passwords. I can't change that password, so
    I'm stuck. Can't remove the username and password that entered
    originally because I don't know how to make windows forget about it.

    /P

  6. Re: How to Erase Windows Explorer cached passwords?

    Try this:

    Click Start, Run and type Control keymgr.dll
    Remove the entries from the list.
    The other ways to access this dialog are:

    Type Control Userpasswords2 in RUN box, click Advanced, Manage
    Passwords

    -or-

    >From Control Panel, select your User Account, click Manage your network

    passwords

    Here are a few more places to check:

    The password is stored in the Protected Storage area in the XP
    registry. To remove the stored password for the Network location,
    follow these instructions:

    Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT and press Enter
    Navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Protected Storage System
    Provider \

    Assign your user account Full Permission for this key, and sub-keys.
    Once done, press F5 key to refresh the registry view.
    Locate the appropriate sub-key which contains the MS IE FTP Passwords.

    Hint: Look for the MS IE FTP Passwords Display String value in the
    right-pane for each sub-key. The password may be stored here: (The
    string varies)

    HKCU \ Software \ Microsoft \ Protected Storage System Provider \
    \ Data \ 5e7e8100-9138-11d1-945a-00c04fc308ff \ 00000000-0000-00
    00-0000-000000000000

    Once you locate the correct sub-key, backup the key to a REG file
    Delete the key which contains the user name & password for that Network
    location
    Now, Undo the Permissions settings done in Step 3 above
    Close Registry Editor

    Hope this helps you out,
    psg

  7. Re: How to Erase Windows Explorer cached passwords?

    Yes! The last bit worked successfully. I could see the entry refering
    to the ftp site. Upon deletion I was asked again about the password.
    Thanks a million!

+ Reply to Thread