ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address - Networking

This is a discussion on ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address - Networking ; Running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) on a desktop PC using (or trying to) a Linksys WMP54G PCI wifi card (that uses a Broadcom BCM4306 chipset.) Trying to connect to a Netgear DG834 adsl router. It works using windows xp just ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

  1. ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    Running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) on a desktop PC using (or trying to) a
    Linksys WMP54G PCI wifi card (that uses a Broadcom BCM4306 chipset.)
    Trying to connect to a Netgear DG834 adsl router.
    It works using windows xp just fine.
    It doesn't in Ubuntu no matter what I seem to do, althugh it's fine using a
    wired connection.

    Tried latest "restricted" Broadcom drivers in Ubuntu and even compiled them
    myself to check.

    lspci gives:
    (cut version)
    00:0f.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless
    LAN Controller (rev 03)
    00:11.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    From which I assume the card and drivers are okay????

    But using wifi radar or wicd I can't establish an ip address.

    Now iwconfig says there is a card there but states encrypt is off , even
    though I have setup WEP with a password (to avoid WPA added complications at
    this time.)
    Also it seems to say RX is invalid??? Dont know what that means.

    Here it is:
    IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"sally000"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Tx-Power=27 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
    Encryption keyff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

    Also the PC is next to the wireless router (2 feet away) so is the signal
    level rather low? But it does work with XP as I said above..

    Can ping the router using wired connection but not with wireless. The PC
    sees the MAC address of the router but the router doesn't see the wireless
    card.

    Have another wifi device (a usb asustek which uses rt73 drivers and although
    it connects intially it then disconnects and also seems to stop the wired
    connection to my other pc running xp, so I don't feel it's a viable option.

    Totally frustrated and out of ideas. All help appreciated.

    Cheers
    Dave

  2. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    "David" writes:

    > Running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) on a desktop PC using (or trying to) a
    > Linksys WMP54G PCI wifi card (that uses a Broadcom BCM4306 chipset.)
    > Trying to connect to a Netgear DG834 adsl router.
    > It works using windows xp just fine.
    > It doesn't in Ubuntu no matter what I seem to do, althugh it's fine using a
    > wired connection.
    >
    > Tried latest "restricted" Broadcom drivers in Ubuntu and even compiled them
    > myself to check.
    >
    > lspci gives:
    > (cut version)
    > 00:0f.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless
    > LAN Controller (rev 03)
    > 00:11.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    > RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    > From which I assume the card and drivers are okay????

    Nope. They probably are OK, but you tell that by the fact the they
    have brought up an interface (see later). The above is taken from a
    table and just identifies the hardware.

    > But using wifi radar or wicd I can't establish an ip address.

    What happens if you try to let Ubuntu do it all itself? I.e. can't
    the network manager get you connected?

    > Now iwconfig says there is a card there but states encrypt is off , even
    > though I have setup WEP with a password (to avoid WPA added complications at
    > this time.)
    > Also it seems to say RX is invalid??? Dont know what that means.

    Rx is receive (as opposed to Tx -- transmit) so...

    > Here it is:
    > IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"sally000"
    > Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    > Tx-Power=27 dBm
    > Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
    > Encryption keyff
    > Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0

    this says there have been 0 receive errors (none due to invalid nwid,
    none due to invalid frag, etc).

    > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    >
    > Also the PC is next to the wireless router (2 feet away) so is the signal
    > level rather low? But it does work with XP as I said above..

    Yes. It looks like either the driver does not report the signal
    strength (unlikely) or it is not really working. What does dmsg have
    to say about the driver. For example, I need the ipw2200 driver and I
    get:

    $ dmesg | grep ipw
    [ 7.682082] ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.2.2kmprq
    [ 7.682088] ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
    [ 7.684676] ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    [ 5.223188] ipw2200: Detected geography ZZD (13 802.11bg channels, 0 802.11a channels)

    I do all this sort of stuff with WEP off to start with. From the
    bottom up you need:

    - The driver to find some hardware it understands.
    - The hardware to associate with the right AP
    - The interface to be given an address (often just by using DHCP).
    - The routing tables to be correctly set up
    - The right DNS server.

    If the hardware is working, I'd expect

    $ iwlist scan

    to show your AP. Does it?

    --
    Ben.

  3. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> [...]

    > strength (unlikely) or it is not really working. What does dmsg have
    > to say about the driver. For example, I need the ipw2200 driver and I
    > get:
    >
    > $ dmesg | grep ipw
    > [ 7.682082] ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.2.2kmprq
    > [ 7.682088] ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
    > [ 7.684676] ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    > [ 5.223188] ipw2200: Detected geography ZZD (13 802.11bg channels, 0 802.11a channels)
    >
    > I do all this sort of stuff with WEP off to start with. From the
    > bottom up you need:
    >
    > - The driver to find some hardware it understands.
    > - The hardware to associate with the right AP
    > - The interface to be given an address (often just by using DHCP).
    > - The routing tables to be correctly set up

    What does the output of a 'dmesg' command have to say about your
    BCM4306? The lspci output only shows that the card is plugged in. Most
    of the useful stuff is in the system logs that you can access from
    dmesg (for the current boot) or from /var/log/messages (for the
    current boot and before).

    I guess that you will see messages about missing firmware. You did
    turn bcm43xx debugging on, or didn't you?

    Larry

  4. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    "Ben Bacarisse" wrote in message
> [...]

    > to say about the driver. For example, I need the ipw2200 driver and I
    > get:
    >
    > $ dmesg | grep ipw
    > [ 7.682082] ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver,
    > 1.2.2kmprq
    > [ 7.682088] ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
    > [ 7.684676] ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
    > Connection
    > [ 5.223188] ipw2200: Detected geography ZZD (13 802.11bg channels, 0
    > 802.11a channels)
    >
    > I do all this sort of stuff with WEP off to start with. From the
    > bottom up you need:
    >
    > - The driver to find some hardware it understands.
    > - The hardware to associate with the right AP
    > - The interface to be given an address (often just by using DHCP).
    > - The routing tables to be correctly set up

    Ben,
    Really appreciate your help.
    Answering your questions:
    1.Just using net manager didn't help. Same "cant establish an IP" issue.
    2.Yes I knew what rx and tx stand for but wasn't sure what this all meant. I
    guess no errors is because there isn't any comunication going on.
    3.Tried dmesg | grep ipw with and without sudo but got no response, just
    threw me back to the prompt.
    4.Have tried with and without WEP but no difference.
    5.iwlist scan gives:
    --------------------
    lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

    eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

    wmaster0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

    wlan0 Scan completed :
    Cell 01 - Address: 00:18:4D:49:2C:0E
    ESSID:"sally000"
    Mode:Master
    Channel:5
    Frequency:2.432 GHz (Channel 5)
    Quality=81/100 Signal level=-45 dBm Noise level=-68
    dBm
    Encryption keyn
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
    9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
    48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    Extra:tsf=00000005d64ca233
    Cell 02 - Address: 00:01:38:8F:A8:8C
    ESSID:"zoom"
    Mode:Master
    Channel:10
    Frequency:2.457 GHz (Channel 10)
    Quality=55/100 Signal level=-68 dBm Noise level=-68
    dBm
    Encryption keyff
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
    9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
    48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    Extra:tsf=00000001225691da

    ---------------------------
    My wireless net SSID is sally000. The unprotected "zoom" is next door. I
    have told them about this before!! They are lucky it's me that's their
    neighbour! and not someone less scrupulous.!
    So iwlist doesn't seem to show my AP.

    I even reseated the PCI card, rebooted and did this all again.
    Then did a sudo iwconfig which gave:
    ---------
    lo no wireless extensions.

    eth0 no wireless extensions.

    wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

    wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"sally000"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.432 GHz Access Point: 00:18:4D:49:2C:0E
    Tx-Power=27 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
    Encryption key:A7C3-E7FF-5E
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    --------

    Note encryption now seems to be recognised. This is what I am uneasy about.
    How things seems to change back and forth. Flaky.

    In addition: I tried to connect using a static IP. Using wifi radar it said
    it had connected to the IP I had set up but when I disconnected the wired
    LAN cable I found the connection didn't work.
    As an aside must I unplug the network cable if I try to use wireless?

    Does this help you to help me. Just ask if you need more clues.
    Thanks again
    Dave

  5. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    "David" wrote in message

> [...]

    > Mode:Managed Frequency:2.432 GHz Access Point:
    > 00:18:4D:49:2C:0E
    > Tx-Power=27 dBm
    > Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
    > Encryption key:A7C3-E7FF-5E
    > Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    > --------
    >
    > Note encryption now seems to be recognised. This is what I am uneasy
    > about. How things seems to change back and forth. Flaky.
    >

    > In addition: I tried to connect using a static IP. Using wifi radar it
    > said it had connected to the IP I had set up but when I disconnected the
    > wired LAN cable I found the connection didn't work.
    > As an aside must I unplug the network cable if I try to use wireless?
    >
    > Does this help you to help me. Just ask if you need more clues.

    Think I was being stupid earlier on when I said didn't get anything from
    dmesg | grep iwp as I think that was your particular wireless board.
    Mine uses a broadcom 4306 and b43-fwcutter so i got a response when i used
    dmesg | grep b43
    This is it:

    --------------------------
    [ 54.575135] b43-phy0: Broadcom 4306 WLAN found
    [ 70.172030] input: b43-phy0 as /devices/virtual/input/input6
    [ 72.206158] Registered led device: b43-phy0:tx
    [ 72.207040] Registered led device: b43-phy0:rx
    [ 72.207678] Registered led device: b43-phy0:radio
    [ 77.695944] input: b43-phy0 as /devices/virtual/input/input7
    [ 80.038241] Registered led device: b43-phy0:tx
    [ 80.038761] Registered led device: b43-phy0:rx
    [ 80.039016] Registered led device: b43-phy0:radio
    ------------------

    Doesn't say anything to me but you experts will no doubt hopefully see the
    light.
    Cheers

  6. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    "Larry Finger" wrote in message
> [...]

    >> 802.11a channels)
    >>
    >> I do all this sort of stuff with WEP off to start with. From the
    >> bottom up you need:
    >>
    >> - The driver to find some hardware it understands.
    >> - The hardware to associate with the right AP
    >> - The interface to be given an address (often just by using DHCP).
    >> - The routing tables to be correctly set up
    >> - The right DNS server.
    >>
    >> If the hardware is working, I'd expect
    >>
    >> $ iwlist scan
    >>
    >> to show your AP. Does it?
    >>

    > What does the output of a 'dmesg' command have to say about your BCM4306?
    > The lspci output only shows that the card is plugged in. Most of the
    > useful stuff is in the system logs that you can access from dmesg (for the
    > current boot) or from /var/log/messages (for the current boot and before).
    >
    > I guess that you will see messages about missing firmware. You did turn

    Hi Larry,

    dmsg gives me 10 feet of stuff but I have narrowed it down by dmsg | grep
    b43 to get

    -------
    [ 54.575135] b43-phy0: Broadcom 4306 WLAN found
    [ 70.172030] input: b43-phy0 as /devices/virtual/input/input6
    [ 72.206158] Registered led device: b43-phy0:tx
    [ 72.207040] Registered led device: b43-phy0:rx
    [ 72.207678] Registered led device: b43-phy0:radio
    [ 77.695944] input: b43-phy0 as /devices/virtual/input/input7
    [ 80.038241] Registered led device: b43-phy0:tx
    [ 80.038761] Registered led device: b43-phy0:rx
    [ 80.039016] Registered led device: b43-phy0:radio

    ------------------
    Does this help?
    If you really want the full output I can send it.

    What is bcm43xx debugging????
    I am not using the bcm43xx-fwcutter but the newer b4-fwcutter as per the
    recent threads I have read. Also
    http://linuxwireless.sipsolutions.ne...rs/Drivers/b43
    Is this wrong?
    Is there life after wireless?
    Cheers

  7. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    David wrote:
    > "Larry Finger" wrote in message
    >> Ben Bacarisse wrote:

    >>> Nope. They probably are OK, but you tell that by the fact the they
    >>> have brought up an interface (see later). The above is taken from a
    >>> table and just identifies the hardware.

    >>> What happens if you try to let Ubuntu do it all itself? I.e. can't
    >>> the network manager get you connected?

    >>> Rx is receive (as opposed to Tx -- transmit) so...

    >>> this says there have been 0 receive errors (none due to invalid nwid,
    >>> none due to invalid frag, etc).

    >>> Yes. It looks like either the driver does not report the signal
    >>> strength (unlikely) or it is not really working. What does dmsg have
    >>> to say about the driver. For example, I need the ipw2200 driver and I
    >>> get:
    >>>
    >>> $ dmesg | grep ipw
    >>> [ 7.682082] ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver,
    >>> 1.2.2kmprq
    >>> [ 7.682088] ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
    >>> [ 7.684676] ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
    >>> Connection
    >>> [ 5.223188] ipw2200: Detected geography ZZD (13 802.11bg channels, 0
    >>> 802.11a channels)
    >>>
    >>> I do all this sort of stuff with WEP off to start with. From the
    >>> bottom up you need:
    >>>
    >>> - The driver to find some hardware it understands.
    >>> - The hardware to associate with the right AP
    >>> - The interface to be given an address (often just by using DHCP).
    >>> - The routing tables to be correctly set up
    >>> - The right DNS server.
    >>>
    >>> If the hardware is working, I'd expect
    >>>
    >>> $ iwlist scan
    >>>
    >>> to show your AP. Does it?
    >>>

    >> What does the output of a 'dmesg' command have to say about your BCM4306?
    >> The lspci output only shows that the card is plugged in. Most of the
    >> useful stuff is in the system logs that you can access from dmesg (for the
    >> current boot) or from /var/log/messages (for the current boot and before).
    >>
    >> I guess that you will see messages about missing firmware. You did turn
    >> bcm43xx debugging on, or didn't you?
    >>
    >> Larry

    > Hi Larry,
    >
    > dmsg gives me 10 feet of stuff but I have narrowed it down by dmsg | grep
    > b43 to get
    >
    > -------
    > [ 54.575135] b43-phy0: Broadcom 4306 WLAN found
    > [ 70.172030] input: b43-phy0 as /devices/virtual/input/input6
    > [ 72.206158] Registered led device: b43-phy0:tx
    > [ 72.207040] Registered led device: b43-phy0:rx
    > [ 72.207678] Registered led device: b43-phy0:radio
    > [ 77.695944] input: b43-phy0 as /devices/virtual/input/input7
    > [ 80.038241] Registered led device: b43-phy0:tx
    > [ 80.038761] Registered led device: b43-phy0:rx
    > [ 80.039016] Registered led device: b43-phy0:radio
    >
    > ------------------
    > Does this help?
    > If you really want the full output I can send it.
    >
    > What is bcm43xx debugging????

    As you are using the b43 driver, please select the debug option for
    both b43 and the Silicon Sonics driver. No, I don't need the full
    dmesg output.

    Larry

  8. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    > David wrote:
    >> "Larry Finger" wrote in message

    >>> What does the output of a 'dmesg' command have to say about your
    >>> BCM4306? The lspci output only shows that the card is plugged in. Most
    >>> of the useful stuff is in the system logs that you can access from dmesg
    >>> (for the current boot) or from /var/log/messages (for the current boot
    >>> and before).
    >>>
    >>> I guess that you will see messages about missing firmware. You did turn
    >>> bcm43xx debugging on, or didn't you?
    >>>
    >>> Larry

    >> Hi Larry,
    >>
    >> dmsg gives me 10 feet of stuff but I have narrowed it down by dmsg | grep
    >> b43 to get
    >>
    >> -------
    >> [ 54.575135] b43-phy0: Broadcom 4306 WLAN found
    >> [ 70.172030] input: b43-phy0 as /devices/virtual/input/input6
    >> [ 72.206158] Registered led device: b43-phy0:tx
    >> [ 72.207040] Registered led device: b43-phy0:rx
    >> [ 72.207678] Registered led device: b43-phy0:radio
    >> [ 77.695944] input: b43-phy0 as /devices/virtual/input/input7
    >> [ 80.038241] Registered led device: b43-phy0:tx
    >> [ 80.038761] Registered led device: b43-phy0:rx
    >> [ 80.039016] Registered led device: b43-phy0:radio
    >>
    >> ------------------
    >> Does this help?
    >> If you really want the full output I can send it.
    >>
    >> What is bcm43xx debugging????

    > As you are using the b43 driver, please select the debug option for both
    > b43 and the Silicon Sonics driver. No, I don't need the full dmesg output.
    >
    > Larry

    Yes using b43 as thats what
    http://linuxwireless.sipsolutions.ne...rs/Drivers/b43 and soem googled
    outputs have recommende and tht's what is the default on Ubuntu 8.04.
    But still don't underatydnm what you mean by debug option. Sory to be thinck
    but no idea what this and where.
    Also not sure why you say to use silicon sonics drivers. Its a broadcom chip
    so using broadcom firmware. Have I lost the plot? Sorry to be a noob.
    Cheers

  9. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    "Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
    news:nyyfbegfubjuvyypbz.jzr9jj2.pminews@srv1.howhi ll.net...
    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:13:00 +0100, David wrote:
    >
    >> Channel:5
    >> Frequency:2.432 GHz (Channel 5)

    > It's a silly question but your AP is on Ch 5 isn't it? Yes, I know it
    > works in doze, but maye be doze quietly overides defaults or ubunty
    > does...
    >
    >> Quality=81/100 Signal level=-45 dBm Noise level=-68 dBm

    > It appears to be seeing something but is it your AP?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Dave.

    At this stage I don't think anything is a silly question Dave! Yes my AP is
    on ch5 and I have incidentally changed it from ch 11 just in case there was
    soem weird channel issue. The AP is talking happily to other devices
    wirelessly. I've also tried to use auto for channel selection.

    I agree its seeing something and I am pretty sure it's my AP.

    Any ideas?
    Cheers
    dave

  10. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    > "David" writes:
    >

    >> 5.iwlist scan gives:
    >> --------------------
    >> lo Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >>
    >> eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >>
    >> wmaster0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >>
    >> wlan0 Scan completed :
    >> Cell 01 - Address: 00:18:4D:49:2C:0E
    >> ESSID:"sally000"
    >> Mode:Master
    >> Channel:5
    >> Frequency:2.432 GHz (Channel 5)
    >> Quality=81/100 Signal level=-45 dBm Noise level=-68
    >> dBm
    >> Encryption keyn
    >> Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
    >> 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
    >> 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    >> Extra:tsf=00000005d64ca233
    >> Cell 02 - Address: 00:01:38:8F:A8:8C
    >> ESSID:"zoom"
    >> Mode:Master
    >> Channel:10
    >> Frequency:2.457 GHz (Channel 10)
    >> Quality=55/100 Signal level=-68 dBm Noise level=-68
    >> dBm
    >> Encryption keyff
    >> Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
    >> 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
    >> 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    >> Extra:tsf=00000001225691da
    >>
    >> ---------------------------
    >> My wireless net SSID is sally000. The unprotected "zoom" is next door. I
    >> have told them about this before!! They are lucky it's me that's their
    >> neighbour! and not someone less scrupulous.!
    >> So iwlist doesn't seem to show my AP.
    >>
    >> I even reseated the PCI card, rebooted and did this all again.
    >> Then did a sudo iwconfig which gave:
    >> ---------
    >> lo no wireless extensions.
    >>
    >> eth0 no wireless extensions.
    >>
    >> wmaster0 no wireless extensions.
    >>
    >> wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"sally000"
    >> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.432 GHz Access Point:
    >> 00:18:4D:49:2C:0E
    >> Tx-Power=27 dBm
    >> Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
    >> Encryption key:A7C3-E7FF-5E
    >> Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    >> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    >> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    >> --------
    >>
    >> Note encryption now seems to be recognised. This is what I am uneasy
    >> about.
    >> How things seems to change back and forth. Flaky.

    > It may seem flaky and firm up when you get a feel for what is going
    > on. I am in the dark here as I don't know this driver but all the
    > above looks good except for the signal level. I found this:
    >
    > http://linuxwireless.sipsolutions.ne...rivers/b43/faq
    >
    > that says:
    >
    > If iwconfig shows
    >
    > * Link Quality:0 Signal level:0
    >
    > then you may have wireless disabled in the BIOS. Check for things like
    > "Wireless : Application Control".
    >
    > Is that a possibility?
    >
    > --
    > Ben.

    Hi Ben,
    Yes I've seen that url but the log I attached most recently now shows a
    signal is present.
    I guess that narrows down things.
    It's a desk top so I doubt there is any wifi on-off facility.
    Now trying PCLinuxOS as an alternative.
    Cheers

  11. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    "David" writes:

    >Running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) on a desktop PC using (or trying to) a
    >Linksys WMP54G PCI wifi card (that uses a Broadcom BCM4306 chipset.)

    Broadcom tends to be a bastard of a card for linux.
    a) modprobe nameofdriver
    and then look at
    dmesg|tail
    for error messages
    b) iwlist s
    to see if anything is reported by the card. If it is, then the card should
    work.

    c) If nothing else, use ndiswrapper with the Windows driver.

    >Trying to connect to a Netgear DG834 adsl router.
    >It works using windows xp just fine.
    >It doesn't in Ubuntu no matter what I seem to do, althugh it's fine using a
    >wired connection.

    modprobe

    >Tried latest "restricted" Broadcom drivers in Ubuntu and even compiled them
    >myself to check.

    >lspci gives:
    >(cut version)
    >00:0f.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless
    >LAN Controller (rev 03)
    >00:11.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    >RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    >From which I assume the card and drivers are okay????

    >But using wifi radar or wicd I can't establish an ip address.

    >Now iwconfig says there is a card there but states encrypt is off , even
    >though I have setup WEP with a password (to avoid WPA added complications at
    >this time.)
    >Also it seems to say RX is invalid??? Dont know what that means.

    >Here it is:
    > IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"sally000"
    > Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    > Tx-Power=27 dBm
    > Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
    > Encryption keyff
    > Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

    >Also the PC is next to the wireless router (2 feet away) so is the signal
    >level rather low? But it does work with XP as I said above..

    >Can ping the router using wired connection but not with wireless. The PC
    >sees the MAC address of the router but the router doesn't see the wireless
    >card.

    >Have another wifi device (a usb asustek which uses rt73 drivers and although
    >it connects intially it then disconnects and also seems to stop the wired
    >connection to my other pc running xp, so I don't feel it's a viable option.

    >Totally frustrated and out of ideas. All help appreciated.

    >Cheers
    >Dave

  12. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    "David" writes:

    > "Ben Bacarisse" wrote in message
    >> "David" writes:
    >>

    >>> 5.iwlist scan gives:
    >>> --------------------
    >>> wlan0 Scan completed :
    >>> Cell 01 - Address: 00:18:4D:49:2C:0E
    >>> ESSID:"sally000"
    >>> Mode:Master
    >>> Channel:5
    >>> Frequency:2.432 GHz (Channel 5)
    >>> Quality=81/100 Signal level=-45 dBm Noise level=-68
    >>> dBm
    >>> Encryption keyn
    >>> Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
    >>> 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
    >>> 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    >>> Extra:tsf=00000005d64ca233

    >>> ---------------------------

    >>> wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"sally000"
    >>> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.432 GHz Access Point:
    >>> 00:18:4D:49:2C:0E
    >>> Tx-Power=27 dBm
    >>> Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
    >>> Encryption key:A7C3-E7FF-5E
    >>> Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    >>> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    >>> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

    >> It may seem flaky and firm up when you get a feel for what is going
    >> on. I am in the dark here as I don't know this driver but all the
    >> above looks good except for the signal level. I found this:
    >>
    >> http://linuxwireless.sipsolutions.ne...rivers/b43/faq
    >>
    >> that says:
    >>
    >> If iwconfig shows
    >>
    >> * Link Quality:0 Signal level:0
    >>
    >> then you may have wireless disabled in the BIOS. Check for things like
    >> "Wireless : Application Control".
    >>
    >> Is that a possibility?

    > Yes I've seen that url but the log I attached most recently now shows a
    > signal is present.

    I don't think it does. The scan shows different data to that shown by
    iwconfig. The driver may well get the data in quite different ways
    (I don't know). If you are still seeing

    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

    in the iwconfig output, then I would check your BIOS settings. It
    can't hurt.

    > I guess that narrows down things.

    The driver is still show no signal from the associated access point.
    That is a key indicator. Sadly, I don't know exactly what it indicates!

    --
    Ben.

  13. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    David wrote:

    > Yes using b43 as thats what
    > http://linuxwireless.sipsolutions.ne...rs/Drivers/b43 and soem googled
    > outputs have recommende and tht's what is the default on Ubuntu 8.04.
    > But still don't underatydnm what you mean by debug option. Sory to be thinck
    > but no idea what this and where.
    > Also not sure why you say to use silicon sonics drivers. Its a broadcom chip
    > so using broadcom firmware. Have I lost the plot? Sorry to be a noob.

    Debug is a kernel configuration option. The Broadcom chip connects to
    the main computer bus through a Sonics Silicon Backplane using the ssb
    driver. Both are there and both are needed.

    Larry

  14. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    > "David" writes:
    >
    >> "Ben Bacarisse" wrote in message

    David - please ignore most of the "advice" that you are getting. These
    guys don't have the slightest idea what is going on.

    Your iwconfig output will not show any signal, noise, or link quality
    until it actually authenticates. If you are using NetworkManager with
    a normal configuration, then the presence of a ESSID name and/or an
    Access Point MAC indicates that the device has associated with the AP.

    Please send the output of 'dmesg | grep wlan0'.

    Larry

  15. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    > David wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes using b43 as thats what
    >> http://linuxwireless.sipsolutions.ne...rs/Drivers/b43 and soem
    >> googled outputs have recommende and tht's what is the default on Ubuntu
    >> 8.04.
    >> But still don't underatydnm what you mean by debug option. Sory to be
    >> thinck but no idea what this and where.
    >> Also not sure why you say to use silicon sonics drivers. Its a broadcom
    >> chip so using broadcom firmware. Have I lost the plot? Sorry to be a
    >> noob.

    > Debug is a kernel configuration option. The Broadcom chip connects to the
    > main computer bus through a Sonics Silicon Backplane using the ssb driver.
    > Both are there and both are needed.
    >
    > Larry

    Still not at all sure I understand what this means so looks like I will need
    to spend a lot of tomorrow reading up about it all. I also now see that some
    articles say I should use b43 and others b43-legacy as I have rev 3 of the
    card. Very very confusing and certainly not what I was hoping of Ubuntu 's
    new release.
    Thanks for giving me a point in (hopefully) the right direction.
    Cheers
    Dave

  16. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    > Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    >> "David" writes:
    >>
    >>> "Ben Bacarisse" wrote in message

    > David - please ignore most of the "advice" that you are getting. These
    > guys don't have the slightest idea what is going on.
    >
    > Your iwconfig output will not show any signal, noise, or link quality
    > until it actually authenticates. If you are using NetworkManager with a
    > normal configuration, then the presence of a ESSID name and/or an Access
    > Point MAC indicates that the device has associated with the AP.
    >
    > Please send the output of 'dmesg | grep wlan0'.
    >
    > Larry

    Here is sudo dmesg | grep wlan0

    [ 128.781880] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    [ 364.328612] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

    Hope this helps.
    Cheers

  17. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    David wrote:
    > Still not at all sure I understand what this means so looks like I will need
    > to spend a lot of tomorrow reading up about it all. I also now see that some
    > articles say I should use b43 and others b43-legacy as I have rev 3 of the
    > card. Very very confusing and certainly not what I was hoping of Ubuntu 's
    > new release.
    > Thanks for giving me a point in (hopefully) the right direction.

    Your card uses b43 and not b43legacy. In fact, the ssb driver looks at
    the PHY revision of your card, and loads the correct driver. If you
    had a BCM4306 rev 2, the it would need b43legacy. I know that is
    correct as I'm the one who converted bcm43xx into b43legacy!

    Did you build the kernel you are running, or are you using the one
    that Ubuntu built? If the latter, I understand why the appropriate
    debugging options have not been set. I have been trying to get Ubuntu
    to set the debugging options for a long time, but the idiots don't
    seem to get the word!

    If you built your own keernel, then you need to run 'make xconfig' and
    select the debugging options.

    Larry

  18. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    David wrote:
    > "Larry Finger" wrote in message
    >> Ben Bacarisse wrote:

    >> David - please ignore most of the "advice" that you are getting. These
    >> guys don't have the slightest idea what is going on.
    >>
    >> Your iwconfig output will not show any signal, noise, or link quality
    >> until it actually authenticates. If you are using NetworkManager with a
    >> normal configuration, then the presence of a ESSID name and/or an Access
    >> Point MAC indicates that the device has associated with the AP.
    >>
    >> Please send the output of 'dmesg | grep wlan0'.
    >>
    >> Larry

    > Here is sudo dmesg | grep wlan0
    >
    > [ 128.781880] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    > [ 364.328612] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

    These results give me an idea. Please run the command

    sudo cat $(find /sys -name ssb_sprom)

    and send me that long string of hex digits that follow.

    Thanks,

    Larry

  19. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    > David wrote:
    >> "Larry Finger" wrote in message

    >>> David - please ignore most of the "advice" that you are getting. These
    >>> guys don't have the slightest idea what is going on.
    >>>
    >>> Your iwconfig output will not show any signal, noise, or link quality
    >>> until it actually authenticates. If you are using NetworkManager with a
    >>> normal configuration, then the presence of a ESSID name and/or an Access
    >>> Point MAC indicates that the device has associated with the AP.
    >>>
    >>> Please send the output of 'dmesg | grep wlan0'.
    >>>
    >>> Larry

    >> Here is sudo dmesg | grep wlan0
    >>
    >> [ 128.781880] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    >> [ 364.328612] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    >>

    > These results give me an idea. Please run the command
    >
    > sudo cat $(find /sys -name ssb_sprom)
    >
    > and send me that long string of hex digits that follow.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Larry

    Hi Larry,

    You may have noticed I am in the UK and it was after 3am when I gave up last
    night. So just seen your message.

    The cmd gives:
    014000001300371720430080020002000010001800000000FF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF0F0074 66A59AFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF4510A01277FBACFE FFFFFFFF3C000000000000003E000D00FFFF00000000000000 000194

    I feel we are now in the land of voodoo. FYI I'm not a computer pro just an
    amateur willing to learn and who hates giving up.

    Thanks once again for your support.

    Dave

  20. Re: ubunty wifi: cant acquire IP address

    > David wrote:
    >> Still not at all sure I understand what this means so looks like I will
    >> need to spend a lot of tomorrow reading up about it all. I also now see
    >> that some articles say I should use b43 and others b43-legacy as I have
    >> rev 3 of the card. Very very confusing and certainly not what I was
    >> hoping of Ubuntu 's new release.
    >> Thanks for giving me a point in (hopefully) the right direction.

    > Your card uses b43 and not b43legacy. In fact, the ssb driver looks at the
    > PHY revision of your card, and loads the correct driver. If you had a
    > BCM4306 rev 2, the it would need b43legacy. I know that is correct as I'm
    > the one who converted bcm43xx into b43legacy!
    >
    > Did you build the kernel you are running, or are you using the one that
    > Ubuntu built? If the latter, I understand why the appropriate debugging
    > options have not been set. I have been trying to get Ubuntu to set the
    > debugging options for a long time, but the idiots don't seem to get the
    > word!
    >
    > If you built your own keernel, then you need to run 'make xconfig' and
    > select the debugging options.
    >
    > Larry

    I was going by some of what I had read. Most did say use b43 but some
    articles said b43-legacy for rev3. Now I know for sure it one less variable.
    Some even said use bcm43xx or ndiswrapper but I felt this to be giving up.

    I have nver built a kernel in my life so am running 2.6.24-16-generic at the
    mo. But had same probs with the beta release and 2.6.24-others

    Also I used the b43 in ubuntu initially but also tried building my own but
    no difference.

    The positive side of all this is that it's usually the best way to learn how
    thongs work.

    Cheers
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread