Configuring wireless router question - Networking

This is a discussion on Configuring wireless router question - Networking ; I'm trying to help a youngster get started in Linux. Right now we are working on getting networking up. We can get it to work with a neighbor's unsecured Linksys router, but not with the Belkin router in his home. ...

  1. Configuring wireless router question

    I'm trying to help a youngster get started in Linux. Right now we
    are working on getting networking up. We can get it to work with
    a neighbor's unsecured Linksys router, but not with the Belkin router
    in his home. Under Windows everything works fine with the Belkin
    router. With Linux we get through the dhclient process, seem to
    get an IP address assigned and an address of the 192.168 family
    appears in /etc/resolv.conf. But we can't ping anything, and name
    server lookup does not happen.

    Can anyone suggest what Windows is doing that Linux is not? Or what
    Linksys does that Belkin does not? Or what we should be poking and
    prodding to learn what is going on?

  2. Re: Configuring wireless router question

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:07:25 -0500, Jim Haynes wrote:

    > I'm trying to help a youngster get started in Linux. Right now we are
    > working on getting networking up. We can get it to work with a
    > neighbor's unsecured Linksys router, but not with the Belkin router in
    > his home. Under Windows everything works fine with the Belkin router.
    > With Linux we get through the dhclient process, seem to get an IP
    > address assigned and an address of the 192.168 family appears in
    > /etc/resolv.conf. But we can't ping anything, and name server lookup
    > does not happen.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what Windows is doing that Linux is not? Or what
    > Linksys does that Belkin does not? Or what we should be poking and
    > prodding to learn what is going on?

    What type of security are you using on the Belkin? WEP or WPA? If WPA,
    you'll need to use wpa_supplicant. man wpa_supplicant for more.

    WEP works with the 'key' option in iwconfig.

    Oh! And what distro are you using. And what exactly are you doing to
    connect to the router? Commandline or a wizard? What driver for the
    Belkin?

    Stef

+ Reply to Thread