How to make samba to NOT ask for password - Networking

This is a discussion on How to make samba to NOT ask for password - Networking ; I have a ubuntu based server and a windows client. I have some SMB shares that I want to be read only and available without password (for anyone coming from legitimate IPs). My issue is that the ubuntu server insists ...

  1. How to make samba to NOT ask for password

    I have a ubuntu based server and a windows client. I have some SMB shares
    that I want to be read only and available without password (for anyone
    coming from legitimate IPs).

    My issue is that the ubuntu server insists on authenticating the user,
    even for read only shares. How can I make it acept anyone, without
    password?

    NFS works great for linux clients though.

  2. Re: How to make samba to NOT ask for password

    Ignoramus30238 wrote:
    > I have a ubuntu based server and a windows client. I have some SMB shares
    > that I want to be read only and available without password (for anyone
    > coming from legitimate IPs).
    >
    > My issue is that the ubuntu server insists on authenticating the user,
    > even for read only shares. How can I make it acept anyone, without
    > password?

    Have you tried "guest ok = yes"?

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  3. Re: How to make samba to NOT ask for password

    On 2008-04-15, Josef Moellers wrote:
    > Ignoramus30238 wrote:
    >> I have a ubuntu based server and a windows client. I have some SMB shares
    >> that I want to be read only and available without password (for anyone
    >> coming from legitimate IPs).
    >>
    >> My issue is that the ubuntu server insists on authenticating the user,
    >> even for read only shares. How can I make it acept anyone, without
    >> password?

    > Have you tried "guest ok = yes"?

    Yes, at share level.

  4. Re: How to make samba to NOT ask for password

    Ignoramus15568 wrote:
    > On 2008-04-15, Josef Moellers wrote:
    >> Ignoramus30238 wrote:
    >>> I have a ubuntu based server and a windows client. I have some SMB shares
    >>> that I want to be read only and available without password (for anyone
    >>> coming from legitimate IPs).
    >>>
    >>> My issue is that the ubuntu server insists on authenticating the user,
    >>> even for read only shares. How can I make it acept anyone, without
    >>> password?

    >> Have you tried "guest ok = yes"?
    >>

    > Yes, at share level.

    I recall that some registry entry is required for this, but can't
    remember which.
    Maybe this triggers someone else's mind.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  5. Re: How to make samba to NOT ask for password

    On 2008-04-15, Josef Moellers wrote:
    > Ignoramus15568 wrote:

    >>> Have you tried "guest ok = yes"?
    >>>

    >> Yes, at share level.

    > I recall that some registry entry is required for this, but can't
    > remember which.
    > Maybe this triggers someone else's mind.

    Registry entry??????

  6. Re: How to make samba to NOT ask for password

    Ignoramus15568 wrote:
    > On 2008-04-15, Josef Moellers wrote:
    >> Ignoramus15568 wrote:

    >>> Yes, at share level.

    >> I recall that some registry entry is required for this, but can't
    >> remember which.
    >> Maybe this triggers someone else's mind.
    >>

    > Registry entry??????

    Yes, ISTR that I had to tell Windows on the client that *a* server *may*
    be satisfied with any user name and no password.
    Else Windows will demand some password to connect to the share although
    this is not needed.

    That was some time ago that I had to do that: W98SE ...
    Haven't been using Windows a lot since then.

    Josef
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  7. Re: How to make samba to NOT ask for password

    Some more information from my investigation. If I connect to that
    samba server using smbclient, from a Linux box, smbclient asks me for
    a password. It lets me in if I hit ENTER and therefore submit a blank
    for the password.

    However, Windows does ask for a username and password.

  8. Re: How to make samba to NOT ask for password

    Ignoramus30238 wrote:
    > I have a ubuntu based server and a windows client. I have some SMB shares
    > that I want to be read only and available without password (for anyone
    > coming from legitimate IPs).
    >
    > My issue is that the ubuntu server insists on authenticating the user,
    > even for read only shares. How can I make it acept anyone, without
    > password?
    >
    > NFS works great for linux clients though.

    I have a similar setup with an openSUSE server and Windows clients. My
    share definition section has the following:

    force user = usamba
    force group = gsamba
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes
    nt acl support = No

    Note that gsamba and usamba are a special group and user created just
    for this purpose.

    Larry

  9. Re: How to make samba to NOT ask for password

    On 2008-04-15, Larry Finger wrote:
    > Ignoramus30238 wrote:
    >> I have a ubuntu based server and a windows client. I have some SMB shares
    >> that I want to be read only and available without password (for anyone
    >> coming from legitimate IPs).
    >>
    >> My issue is that the ubuntu server insists on authenticating the user,
    >> even for read only shares. How can I make it acept anyone, without
    >> password?
    >>
    >> NFS works great for linux clients though.

    > I have a similar setup with an openSUSE server and Windows clients. My
    > share definition section has the following:
    >
    > force user = usamba
    > force group = gsamba
    > read only = No
    > guest ok = Yes
    > nt acl support = No
    >
    > Note that gsamba and usamba are a special group and user created just
    > for this purpose.
    >
    > Larry

    Thanks. I think that force user and force group are the relevant
    statements here. I will try it and report tonight.

  10. Re: How to make samba to NOT ask for password

    In article <7PWdnZPSV6t5pJnVnZ2dnUVZ_vDinZ2d@giganews.com>, Ignoramus30238 wrote:
    > I have a ubuntu based server and a windows client. I have some SMB shares
    > that I want to be read only and available without password (for anyone
    > coming from legitimate IPs).

    I recently set up a Ubuntu/samba server this way, essentially mimicing
    Windows "simple file sharing." It works through a "guest" account that
    was created for this purpose, with no Samba password, but it should work
    just as well using the "nobody" account for guest access. Setting readonly
    for the files is just a matter of setting appropriate permissions.

    Here is the smb.conf file, you may need to modify details for your own
    system:

    # Samba server configuration for "simple" file sharing

    [global]

    ; For debugging problems set to 2 or 3
    debug level = 1

    ; Basic server settings
    netbios name = SERVER1
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = Samba Server

    ; we should act as the local master browser
    os level = 64
    preferred master = yes
    local master = yes

    ; security settings
    security = share
    guest account = guest

    ; Oplocks are more trouble than they're worth...
    kernel oplocks = no
    oplocks = no
    level2 oplocks = no

    ; use encrypted passwords
    encrypt passwords = yes

    ; Samba log files
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 100

    ; Password database
    passdb backend = tdbsam:/usr/local/samba/lib/passdb.tdb

    ; Case Preservation
    preserve case = yes
    short preserve case = yes
    default case = upper
    case sensitive = no

    ; Printing
    load printers = yes
    printing = cups
    printcap name = /var/run/cups/printcap

    # Shared files (read/write)
    [SHARED]
    comment = "Shared files"
    path = /home/SHARED
    valid users = guest
    public = no
    guest ok = yes
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    force group = users
    create mode = 0770
    force create mode = 0770
    directory mask=1777
    directory mode = 0770
    force directory mode = 0770

    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10s for email.)

  11. Re: How to make samba to NOT ask for password

    On 2008-04-15, Roger Blake wrote:
    > In article <7PWdnZPSV6t5pJnVnZ2dnUVZ_vDinZ2d@giganews.com>, Ignoramus30238 wrote:
    >> I have a ubuntu based server and a windows client. I have some SMB shares
    >> that I want to be read only and available without password (for anyone
    >> coming from legitimate IPs).

    > I recently set up a Ubuntu/samba server this way, essentially mimicing
    > Windows "simple file sharing." It works through a "guest" account that
    > was created for this purpose, with no Samba password, but it should work
    > just as well using the "nobody" account for guest access. Setting readonly
    > for the files is just a matter of setting appropriate permissions.
    >
    > Here is the smb.conf file, you may need to modify details for your own
    > system:

    Roger thanks. I think that guest account and security settings are
    what I need.

    I do plan on having one read write share, that would belong to one
    specific user, but that should not be a problem, I think.

    I saved your post and will try tonight.

    > # Samba server configuration for "simple" file sharing
    >
    > [global]
    >
    > ; For debugging problems set to 2 or 3
    > debug level = 1
    >
    > ; Basic server settings
    > netbios name = SERVER1
    > workgroup = WORKGROUP
    > server string = Samba Server
    >
    > ; we should act as the local master browser
    > os level = 64
    > preferred master = yes
    > local master = yes
    >
    > ; security settings
    > security = share
    > guest account = guest
    >
    > ; Oplocks are more trouble than they're worth...
    > kernel oplocks = no
    > oplocks = no
    > level2 oplocks = no
    >
    > ; use encrypted passwords
    > encrypt passwords = yes
    >
    > ; Samba log files
    > log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    > max log size = 100
    >
    > ; Password database
    > passdb backend = tdbsam:/usr/local/samba/lib/passdb.tdb
    >
    > ; Case Preservation
    > preserve case = yes
    > short preserve case = yes
    > default case = upper
    > case sensitive = no
    >
    > ; Printing
    > load printers = yes
    > printing = cups
    > printcap name = /var/run/cups/printcap
    >
    > # Shared files (read/write)
    > [SHARED]
    > comment = "Shared files"
    > path = /home/SHARED
    > valid users = guest
    > public = no
    > guest ok = yes
    > browseable = yes
    > writeable = yes
    > force group = users
    > create mode = 0770
    > force create mode = 0770
    > directory mask=1777
    > directory mode = 0770
    > force directory mode = 0770

  12. Re: How to make samba to NOT ask for password

    Josef Moellers wrote:
    > Ignoramus15568 wrote:
    >>> Have you tried "guest ok = yes"?
    >>>

    >> Yes, at share level.

    > I recall that some registry entry is required for this, but can't
    > remember which.
    > Maybe this triggers someone else's mind.

    Back when we were still using a windows domain, I used to change
    registry on the new XP workstations to skip authentication, but I think
    it's machine authentication, and not so much user authentication (for
    domain-logon).

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Netlogon\Parameters]
    "requiresignorseal"=dword:00000000
    "signsecurechannel"=dword:00000000

    Not sure if that is what you're looking for.

  13. Re: How to make samba to NOT ask for password

    On 2008-04-16, Jurgen Haan wrote:
    > Josef Moellers wrote:
    >> Ignoramus15568 wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> Yes, at share level.

    >> I recall that some registry entry is required for this, but can't
    >> remember which.
    >> Maybe this triggers someone else's mind.
    >>

    > Back when we were still using a windows domain, I used to change
    > registry on the new XP workstations to skip authentication, but I think
    > it's machine authentication, and not so much user authentication (for
    > domain-logon).
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Netlogon\Parameters]
    > "requiresignorseal"=dword:00000000
    > "signsecurechannel"=dword:00000000
    >
    > Not sure if that is what you're looking for.

    No. I am done. Everything works now. I had to specify:

    guest account = sambauser
    security = share

    and create a fake user sambauser with /bin/false as shell. I am very
    happy.

    There are read only shares. So I could use a real account, but out of
    abundance of paranoia, I created a fake user, and ALSO made shares
    read only.