Ping and Tracert - Networking

This is a discussion on Ping and Tracert - Networking ; Dave Uhring wrote: >> As for my typing tracert, perhaps I should have said 'or traceroute in >> Linux > > Had you asked about traceroute I would have suggested that you read the > man page for traceroute which ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: Ping and Tracert

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> As for my typing tracert, perhaps I should have said 'or traceroute in
    >> Linux

    > Had you asked about traceroute I would have suggested that you read the
    > man page for traceroute which fully describes its operation. Then
    > compare that to the description of ping.
    >
    > If you don't like being told to do a little reading then FOAD.

    Fortunately most people on newsgroups are polite and helpful.

    Geoff Lane

  2. Re: Ping and Tracert

    Rob Morley wrote:

    > Ping sends a ICMP packet to the server, which sends an acknowledgement
    > back (if it's running the ping service). Traceroute sends an ICMP
    > packet which has expired, which causes an error at the first router it
    > reaches -

    Thanks Rob for very informative reply.

    > Why do you keep crossposting to uk.comp.home-networking but quietly
    > setting followup to comp.os.linux.networking? I don't read that group.

    I thought that was the correct way to do it if sending to more than one
    group, does not the Followup-To: go to just one group. I was criticised
    some time back (Not in this group) for sending duplicate messages to two
    different groups.

    Geoff Lane

  3. Re: Ping and Tracert

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:10:54 +0100, Geoff Lane wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> If you don't like being told to do a little reading then FOAD.

    > Fortunately most people on newsgroups are polite and helpful.

    And I would have been had you not been completely off topic by posting a
    windows question in a Linux NG.

  4. Re: Ping and Tracert

    In article , Geoff Lane
    datemasde.t1m@gishpuppy.com says...
    > Rob Morley wrote:
    >
    > > Ping sends a ICMP packet to the server, which sends an acknowledgement
    > > back (if it's running the ping service). Traceroute sends an ICMP
    > > packet which has expired, which causes an error at the first router it
    > > reaches -

    > Thanks Rob for very informative reply.

    Apparently it was incorrect in some details, but you get the idea ...

    > > Why do you keep crossposting to uk.comp.home-networking but quietly
    > > setting followup to comp.os.linux.networking? I don't read that group.

    > I thought that was the correct way to do it if sending to more than one
    > group, does not the Followup-To: go to just one group.

    It does - so if you reply to my followup I'll never see it if I'm not
    reading the group that you set followup to (unless you also send it to
    my email address - that will work for me, but many people use an invalid
    address, or one that never gets checked). Also it's customary to state
    in the post that you have set followup to a particular group.

    > I was criticised
    > some time back (Not in this group) for sending duplicate messages to two
    > different groups.

    I think duplicate messages are generally deprecated as the resulting
    discussion is fragmented or duplicated. Crossposting to two or three
    groups is often OK, depending on your choice of groups - obviously they
    have to be appropriate to the subject, and the culture of some groups is
    anti-crossposting. uk.comp.home-networking is pretty low-traffic and
    on-topic lately, so crossposting here shouldn't cause any problems. I
    don't know about comp.os.linux.networking - those Linux people can be a
    bit strange at times. ;-)

  5. Re: Ping and Tracert

    Rob Morley wrote:

    > Also it's customary to state
    > in the post that you have set followup to a particular group.

    I normally do but must have missed on this occasion.

    > uk.comp.home-networking is pretty low-traffic and
    > on-topic lately, so crossposting here shouldn't cause any problems. I
    > don't know about comp.os.linux.networking - those Linux people can be a
    > bit strange at times. ;-)

    Fortunately many are very knowledgeable and helpful and I do run Ubuntu
    Linux as well as XP, hence the post to a Linux group.

    Geoff Lane

  6. Re: Ping and Tracert

    In article , Geoff Lane
    datemasde.t1m@gishpuppy.com says...
    > Rob Morley wrote:
    >
    > > Also it's customary to state
    > > in the post that you have set followup to a particular group.

    > I normally do but must have missed on this occasion.
    >
    > > uk.comp.home-networking is pretty low-traffic and
    > > on-topic lately, so crossposting here shouldn't cause any problems. I
    > > don't know about comp.os.linux.networking - those Linux people can be a
    > > bit strange at times. ;-)

    > Fortunately many are very knowledgeable and helpful and I do run Ubuntu
    > Linux as well as XP, hence the post to a Linux group.

    I'm too lazy to be able to claim that I'm running Linux ATM, although I
    have a couple of distros installed and I started using it over 10 years
    ago. I do intend to migrate from Windoze, but I've been saying that for
    years and it hasn't happened yet ... maybe this year ...

  7. Re: Ping and Tracert

    I can strongly recommend looking at www.ubuntu.com

    This distro is gaining in popularity, is based on Debian.

    My wifi worked with no effort on my part apart from the security code.

    My Multi Function printer/scanner/card reader is connected to my Ubuntu
    machine and the printer and scanner is all available to my network.

    Geoff Lane

  8. Re: Ping and Tracert

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:10:54 +0100, Geoff Lane wrote:
    >> Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>> If you don't like being told to do a little reading then FOAD.

    >> Fortunately most people on newsgroups are polite and helpful.

    > And I would have been had you not been completely off topic by posting a
    > windows question in a Linux NG.

    Yes, I agree people who make mistakes are intolerable.

    Geoff Lane

  9. Re: Ping and Tracert

    Geoff Lane wrote:
    > Rob Morley wrote:
    >
    >> I'm too lazy to be able to claim that I'm running Linux ATM, although
    >> I have a couple of distros installed and I started using it over 10
    >> years ago. I do intend to migrate from Windoze, but I've been saying
    >> that for years and it hasn't happened yet ... maybe this year ...

    > I can strongly recommend looking at www.ubuntu.com
    >
    > This distro is gaining in popularity, is based on Debian.
    >
    > My wifi worked with no effort on my part apart from the security code.
    >
    > My Multi Function printer/scanner/card reader is connected to my Ubuntu
    > machine and the printer and scanner is all available to my network.

    It's worth noting that there is a new release of Ubuntu due in a few days.

    --
    bap@shrdlu.com

  10. Re: Ping and Tracert

    --

  11. Re: Ping and Tracert

    In article , Geoff Lane
    datemasde.t1m@gishpuppy.com says...
    > Rob Morley wrote:
    >
    > > I'm too lazy to be able to claim that I'm running Linux ATM, although I
    > > have a couple of distros installed and I started using it over 10 years
    > > ago. I do intend to migrate from Windoze, but I've been saying that for
    > > years and it hasn't happened yet ... maybe this year ...

    > I can strongly recommend looking at www.ubuntu.com

    I already have Xubuntu installed, along with Slackware (can't remember
    which versions, it's a while since I played with them). I spent some
    time trying to run my favourite mail and news apps on Wine, then trying
    to find Linux equivalents that I liked as much, but it's just too easy
    to go back to the familiarity of Windoze despite my good intentions.
    I'll keep trying. :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2