Belkin and wireless modem - Networking

This is a discussion on Belkin and wireless modem - Networking ; My company's Linux server has the following interfaces: eth0, eth1, eth3, lo (I don't know why eth2 is missing). Their settings: eth1: DEVICE=eth1 BROADCAST=218.111.104.107 IPADDR=218.111.104.106 NETMASK=255.255.255.255 NETWORK=218.111.104.104 ONBOOT=yes TYPE=Ethernet GATEWAY=218.111.104.105 eth0: DEVICE=eth0 ONBOOT=yes BOOTPROTO=static IPADDR=192.168.42.1 NETMASK=255.255.255.0 GATEWAY=218.111.104.106 eth3: DEVICE=eth3 ONBOOT=yes ...

  1. Belkin and wireless modem

    My company's Linux server has the following interfaces:

    eth0, eth1, eth3, lo (I don't know why eth2 is missing).

    Their settings:

    eth1:
    DEVICE=eth1
    BROADCAST=218.111.104.107
    IPADDR=218.111.104.106
    NETMASK=255.255.255.255
    NETWORK=218.111.104.104
    ONBOOT=yes
    TYPE=Ethernet
    GATEWAY=218.111.104.105

    eth0:
    DEVICE=eth0
    ONBOOT=yes
    BOOTPROTO=static
    IPADDR=192.168.42.1
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    GATEWAY=218.111.104.106

    eth3:
    DEVICE=eth3
    ONBOOT=yes
    IPADDR=192.168.43.1
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    GATEWAY=218.111.104.106

    There are 2 network segments; one segment with IPs type 192.168.42.*,
    default gateway 192.168.42.1; the other of IP type 192.168.43.*,
    default gateway 192.168.43.1.

    I guess that eth0 and eth3 route thier internet traffic to eth1, which
    I believe (not sure) is connected to an external ADSL modem (Lucent
    CellPipe).

    When I unplug the network cable from the modem, the server shows "eth1
    NIC down".

    When I plug in a Belkin G Wireless Router, the server shows "eth1 NIC
    UP 100Mbps".

    To the Belkin router (with 4 ports and a WAN port) I then connect a
    wireless broadband modem via its WAN port (supposedly up to 1Mbps) for
    internet access (wireless internet access, not wireless LAN). The
    Belkin is configured with the user name and password.

    I cannot access the internet via LAN. I am told the Belkin has a fixed
    IP 192.168.1.1, which I fail to ping from the server. A laptop
    connected directly to the Belkin port shows the router to have IP
    192.168.1.1, and it has no problem accessing the internet.

    I am think of changing the gateway of eth1 to 192.168.1.1. But I
    suppose it is pointless if I can't ping the router.

    Could somebody help ? Thanks.

  2. Re: Belkin and wireless modem

    sb5309@yahoo.com writes:

    >My company's Linux server has the following interfaces:

    >eth0, eth1, eth3, lo (I don't know why eth2 is missing).

    >Their settings:

    >eth1:
    >DEVICE=eth1
    >BROADCAST=218.111.104.107
    >IPADDR=218.111.104.106
    >NETMASK=255.255.255.255
    >NETWORK=218.111.104.104
    >ONBOOT=yes
    >TYPE=Ethernet
    >GATEWAY=218.111.104.105

    >eth0:
    >DEVICE=eth0
    >ONBOOT=yes
    >BOOTPROTO=static
    >IPADDR=192.168.42.1
    >NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    >GATEWAY=218.111.104.106

    >eth3:
    >DEVICE=eth3
    >ONBOOT=yes
    >IPADDR=192.168.43.1
    >NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    >GATEWAY=218.111.104.106

    >There are 2 network segments; one segment with IPs type 192.168.42.*,
    >default gateway 192.168.42.1; the other of IP type 192.168.43.*,
    >default gateway 192.168.43.1.

    >I guess that eth0 and eth3 route thier internet traffic to eth1, which
    >I believe (not sure) is connected to an external ADSL modem (Lucent
    >CellPipe).

    >When I unplug the network cable from the modem, the server shows "eth1
    >NIC down".

    >When I plug in a Belkin G Wireless Router, the server shows "eth1 NIC
    >UP 100Mbps".

    >To the Belkin router (with 4 ports and a WAN port) I then connect a
    >wireless broadband modem via its WAN port (supposedly up to 1Mbps) for
    >internet access (wireless internet access, not wireless LAN). The
    >Belkin is configured with the user name and password.

    >I cannot access the internet via LAN. I am told the Belkin has a fixed
    >IP 192.168.1.1, which I fail to ping from the server. A laptop
    >connected directly to the Belkin port shows the router to have IP
    >192.168.1.1, and it has no problem accessing the internet.

    >I am think of changing the gateway of eth1 to 192.168.1.1. But I
    >suppose it is pointless if I can't ping the router.

    >Could somebody help ? Thanks.

    While you give lots of info, which is great, the key bit of info is
    missing, what is the output of
    route -n

    That tells you where packets are sent to.
    I have no idea why your are unplugging eth1 and plugging in a new router
    and wireless boadband. Ie, you descibe things you do, but not why.

  3. Re: Belkin and wireless modem

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    article <429512b6-3ba7-476d-bb1d-c7910a211979@t12g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    sb5309@yahoo.com wrote:

    >My company's Linux server has the following interfaces:
    >
    >eth0, eth1, eth3, lo (I don't know why eth2 is missing).

    Probably the person who configured the system originally made a typo.

    >Their settings:
    >
    >eth1:
    >DEVICE=eth1
    >BROADCAST=218.111.104.107
    >IPADDR=218.111.104.106
    >NETMASK=255.255.255.255
    >NETWORK=218.111.104.104
    >ONBOOT=yes
    >TYPE=Ethernet
    >GATEWAY=218.111.104.105

    That _looks_ like a Red Hat, Red Hat based, or Red Hat clone, and this
    is probably the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1. The
    NETMASK value is wrong based on the network and broadcast addresses,
    the correct mask is probably '255.255.255.252'. See RFC1878. Also,
    you are missing the BOOTPROTO line, though this _may_ cause the system
    to default to a static setup.

    >eth0:
    >DEVICE=eth0
    >ONBOOT=yes
    >BOOTPROTO=static
    >IPADDR=192.168.42.1
    >NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    >GATEWAY=218.111.104.106

    "GATEWAY" entry does not belong here. The 'GATEWAY' is the address
    of the next hop router, and that can not be any address on "this" box.
    (Red Hat and friends uses the term "GATEWAY" to identify the "default
    router", which is the system you send packets to for forwarding if ALL
    of the other rules will not reach the destination - which generally
    means "the rest of the world".)

    >eth3:
    >DEVICE=eth3
    >ONBOOT=yes
    >IPADDR=192.168.43.1
    >NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    >GATEWAY=218.111.104.106

    "GATEWAY" entry does not belong here either, and you are missing the
    BOOTPROTO line.

    >There are 2 network segments; one segment with IPs type 192.168.42.*,
    >default gateway 192.168.42.1; the other of IP type 192.168.43.*,
    >default gateway 192.168.43.1.

    That would be the configuration of the _other_ systems on those segments.

    >I guess that eth0 and eth3 route thier internet traffic to eth1, which
    >I believe (not sure) is connected to an external ADSL modem (Lucent
    >CellPipe).

    Did you set up forwarding, and address translation (in the firewall)?
    Look at the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network and notice the line
    'FORWARD_IPV4=true' or 'FORWARD_IPV4=yes'. Then look at the output of
    the command '/sbin/iptables -L'

    >When I unplug the network cable from the modem, the server shows "eth1
    >NIC down".

    And what is the output of the commands '/sbin/ifconfig eth1' and
    '/sbin/route -n' before and after you do this?

    >When I plug in a Belkin G Wireless Router, the server shows "eth1 NIC
    >UP 100Mbps".

    And what is the output of the commands '/sbin/ifconfig eth1' and
    '/sbin/route -n' before and after you do this? If you didn't run the
    network scripts, the system probably thinks the 218.111.104.104/30
    network is here, and it isn't.

    >To the Belkin router (with 4 ports and a WAN port) I then connect a
    >wireless broadband modem via its WAN port (supposedly up to 1Mbps) for
    >internet access (wireless internet access, not wireless LAN). The
    >Belkin is configured with the user name and password.

    How is the router configured? Is it a DHCP server? How has the DNS
    configuration been set? You _REALLY_ need to be reading the manual for
    this device, and setting security properly ("1Mbps" doesn't sound
    correct at all).

    >I cannot access the internet via LAN. I am told the Belkin has a fixed
    >IP 192.168.1.1, which I fail to ping from the server. A laptop
    >connected directly to the Belkin port shows the router to have IP
    >192.168.1.1, and it has no problem accessing the internet.

    What is the output of '/sbin/ifconfig eth1' and '/sbin/route -n'?
    Does this server have any idea what network it is on? You probably
    want to change the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file
    to be something like

    DEVICE=eth1
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    ONBOOT=yes

    and let it get assigned an address, gateway, mask, DNS, and all of the
    other crap the DHCP server should be doing. Then for your LAN to have
    access, you'll have to re-write the firewall setup rules. I suspect you
    will still need to be masquerading, as the Belkin router has no idea
    how to reach 192.168.42.x and 192.168.43.x which ought to be fun if
    your eth1 interface is going to have a dynamic (changeable) address.

    >I am think of changing the gateway of eth1 to 192.168.1.1. But I
    >suppose it is pointless if I can't ping the router.

    The server has to have a 192.168.1.x address on eth1 first.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread