Determining the lifespan of a process - Networking

This is a discussion on Determining the lifespan of a process - Networking ; Hi hi, I've got some network service that spawns agents upon client connections. But I'm wondering if those things get cleaned up again. Does anybody know how I can determine/see how long a process exists on a server? Thanks. -R-...

  1. Determining the lifespan of a process

    Hi hi,

    I've got some network service that spawns agents upon client
    connections. But I'm wondering if those things get cleaned up again.
    Does anybody know how I can determine/see how long a process exists on a
    server?

    Thanks.

    -R-

  2. Re: Determining the lifespan of a process

    Jurgen Haan wrote:
    > I've got some network service that spawns agents upon client
    > connections. But I'm wondering if those things get cleaned up again.

    If it's your code, make it clean up after the protocol ends, or the
    sockets are closed. If it's someone else's code, maybe telling us what
    it is might help. Some common network services hang around in case
    more connections come in. (These are often UDP based servers.) Others
    exit as soon as their share of the work has been completed (usually TCP
    based servers.)

    > Does anybody know how I can determine/see how long a process exists on a
    > server?

    The STIME field from "ps -f" ("ps -ef") shows you the time (date)
    a process was started.

    Chris

  3. Re: Determining the lifespan of a process

    Chris Davies wrote:

    > The STIME field from "ps -f" ("ps -ef") shows you the time (date)
    > a process was started.
    >
    > Chris

    Ah! Thanks. Exactly what I needed. :P
    A classic case of RTFM!