How to detect that a USB disk has been plugged? - Networking

This is a discussion on How to detect that a USB disk has been plugged? - Networking ; My server is in a remote site and I have ssh access only. I had a colleague plug an USB disk into the server and would like to mount it. I was hoping that the insertion of the disk would ...

  1. How to detect that a USB disk has been plugged?

    My server is in a remote site and I have ssh access only. I had a
    colleague plug an USB disk into the server and would like to mount it.

    I was hoping that the insertion of the disk would generate some log
    message but that doesn't seem to be the case. I only looked in /var/
    log/messages, btw.

    My second approach was to reboot the server and take a look at the
    boot log in order to identify the device and mount the disk.

    Is it possible to identify the device without rebooting? Maybe I
    should look under the /proc filesystem?

    TIA,

    -Ramon

  2. Re: How to detect that a USB disk has been plugged?

    On Apr 8, 1:10 pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > My server is in a remote site and I have ssh access only. I had a
    > colleague plug an USB disk into the server and would like to mount it.
    >
    > I was hoping that the insertion of the disk would generate some log
    > message but that doesn't seem to be the case. I only looked in /var/
    > log/messages, btw.
    >
    > My second approach was to reboot the server and take a look at the
    > boot log in order to identify the device and mount the disk.
    >
    > Is it possible to identify the device without rebooting? Maybe I
    > should look under the /proc filesystem?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > -Ramon

    FWIW, I fixed my problem and found out how to determine that a USB
    disk has been plugged. The lines below are logged in /var/log/
    messages.

    This is what I did:

    1) Plugged the USB disk: nothing happened
    2) Plugged a pen drive: it was recognized
    3) Removed pen drive
    4) Re-plugged the USB disk: it was recognized

    Thanks! Bill and Kevin.

    -Ramon

    ------------
    kernel: ohci_hcd 0000:00:0f.2: wakeup
    kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 2
    kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
    kernel: scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    kernel: Vendor: Kingston Model: DataTraveler II+ Rev: PMAP
    kernel: Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI
    revision: 02
    kernel: SCSI device sdb: 4029440 512-byte hdwr sectors (2063 MB)
    kernel: sdb: Write Protect is off
    kernel: sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
    kernel: SCSI device sdb: 4029440 512-byte hdwr sectors (2063 MB)
    kernel: sdb: Write Protect is off
    kernel: sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
    kernel: sdb: sdb1
    kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi1, channel 0, id 0,
    lun 0
    kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
    kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.

+ Reply to Thread