Sharing files between computers, but two different workgroups - Networking

This is a discussion on Sharing files between computers, but two different workgroups - Networking ; This may seem like a weird arrangement, but I can't figure out a way around it. 1) Laptop "A", WinXP pro, main home computer (Dell Inspiron 8600) 2) Laptop "B", WinXP pro, the "work" computer that lives at home (Dell ...

  1. Sharing files between computers, but two different workgroups

    This may seem like a weird arrangement, but I can't figure out a way around it.

    1) Laptop "A", WinXP pro, main home computer (Dell Inspiron 8600)
    2) Laptop "B", WinXP pro, the "work" computer that lives at home (Dell Latitude D600)
    3) Netgear wireless router WGR614 (802.11b/g) connected to cable modem

    Both "A" and "B" can connect to the router and access the internet without any
    problems.

    "A" is in my original home workgroup, let's call it HOME. "B" is joined to the domain
    at work, say WORK.DOMAIN, such that I can VPN to the network without any
    problems.

    I would like to be able to (relatively easily) share files/folders between "A" and "B" at
    home.

    I tried to join "B" to HOME, but that was a disaster. Had to get the IT admin from work
    to fix it and was instructed to never never never do that again. I do not have privileges
    to join "A" to WORK.DOMAIN.

    Is it possible to do this?

    I have been able to send files using the simple 43kb MyNetwork
    (http://www.jdmcox.com). Works fine, but a little bit of a kludge. I have considered
    using a filesharing program like Waste (http://waste.sourceforge.net) or DC++
    (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dcplusplus), but that seems to be overkill for what I
    need.

    Thanks!

    - Terry

  2. Re: Sharing files between computers, but two different workgroups

    What I have found is that I am able to search for other computers on my
    network not belonging to my workgroup. When you open up My Network Places
    under your XP system, you should see "Microsoft Windows Network". From this
    menu, you should see all the workgroups on your home network and track your
    domain system down from there.

    From here, you should be able to share files/resources. This is entirely
    hypothetical, however. I have never experienced anyone who wishes to do
    this. Perhaps you can ask your IT department if it is possible via a
    network bridge...

    -RS

  3. Re: Sharing files between computers, but two different workgroups

    "RS" wrote in news:csbr32$8m8$1@news3.bu.edu:

    > What I have found is that I am able to search for other computers on
    > my network not belonging to my workgroup. When you open up My Network
    > Places under your XP system, you should see "Microsoft Windows
    > Network". From this menu, you should see all the workgroups on your
    > home network and track your domain system down from there.
    >
    > From here, you should be able to share files/resources. This is
    > entirely hypothetical, however. I have never experienced anyone who
    > wishes to do this. Perhaps you can ask your IT department if it is
    > possible via a network bridge...

    Through the Microsoft Windows Network, I can see the HOME and the
    WORK.DOMAIN, but get the message:

    "HOME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
    resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out of you have access
    permissions. The network path was not found."

    How do I do this?

    - Terry

  4. Re: Sharing files between computers, but two different workgroups

    You seem to be having the same problem as dennis is in the post above this.
    For some reason or another, your computer isn't able to access its own
    workgroup. I would have to tinker with a few things and refamiliarize
    myself with the administrative tools to see if I can figure out how you can
    solve this problem. Since you can see your workgroup and work.domain, your
    computer recognizes the existence of the domained computer on your home
    network. One thing I might suggest is to create a network bridge, setting
    your domained computer up on both the work domain and on a home network. I
    would talk to your IT before you do this, especially if it is a company
    computer.

    -RS

  5. Re: Sharing files between computers, but two different workgroups

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ring/index.htm
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ilesharing.htm
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/.../troubleshoot/

    P.S. It is NOT necessary for each machine to be in the same workgroup so DO
    NOT change anything in that respect.

    --
    Jonah
    "Terrence Chun" wrote in message
    news:Xns95DF6EFC1D067docterrycincirrcom@130.133.1. 4...
    > This may seem like a weird arrangement, but I can't figure out a way
    > around it.
    >
    > 1) Laptop "A", WinXP pro, main home computer (Dell Inspiron 8600)
    > 2) Laptop "B", WinXP pro, the "work" computer that lives at home (Dell
    > Latitude D600)
    > 3) Netgear wireless router WGR614 (802.11b/g) connected to cable modem
    >
    > Both "A" and "B" can connect to the router and access the internet without
    > any
    > problems.
    >
    > "A" is in my original home workgroup, let's call it HOME. "B" is joined
    > to the domain
    > at work, say WORK.DOMAIN, such that I can VPN to the network without any
    > problems.
    >
    > I would like to be able to (relatively easily) share files/folders between
    > "A" and "B" at
    > home.
    >
    > I tried to join "B" to HOME, but that was a disaster. Had to get the IT
    > admin from work
    > to fix it and was instructed to never never never do that again. I do not
    > have privileges
    > to join "A" to WORK.DOMAIN.
    >
    > Is it possible to do this?
    >
    > I have been able to send files using the simple 43kb MyNetwork
    > (http://www.jdmcox.com). Works fine, but a little bit of a kludge. I
    > have considered
    > using a filesharing program like Waste (http://waste.sourceforge.net) or
    > DC++