Preferred Print Protocol - Networking

This is a discussion on Preferred Print Protocol - Networking ; I have a mixed OS network, I've just purchased an Edimax wifi print server and am wondering what is the preferred print protocol. I have options to use RAW, LPD/LPR or IPP and am unsure if there are benefits of ...

  1. Preferred Print Protocol

    I have a mixed OS network, I've just purchased an Edimax wifi print
    server and am wondering what is the preferred print protocol.

    I have options to use RAW, LPD/LPR or IPP and am unsure if there are
    benefits of one over the other.

    Geoff Lane

  2. Re: Preferred Print Protocol

    Geoff Lane wrote:
    > I have a mixed OS network, I've just purchased an Edimax wifi print
    > server and am wondering what is the preferred print protocol.
    >
    > I have options to use RAW, LPD/LPR or IPP and am unsure if there are
    > benefits of one over the other.
    >
    > Geoff Lane

  3. Re: Preferred Print Protocol

    Geoff Lane wrote:

    Reposted as previous error.

    Just to clarify, I am setting this up for a relative as I use a CUPs
    server on my own network as highlighted in previous post with subject
    'Small Linux Print Server'

    Geoff Lane

    > I have a mixed OS network, I've just purchased an Edimax wifi print
    > server and am wondering what is the preferred print protocol.
    >
    > I have options to use RAW, LPD/LPR or IPP and am unsure if there are
    > benefits of one over the other.
    >
    > Geoff Lane

  4. Re: Preferred Print Protocol

    On 2008-04-07 08:14, Geoff Lane wrote:
    > Geoff Lane wrote:
    >> I have a mixed OS network, I've just purchased an Edimax wifi print
    >> server and am wondering what is the preferred print protocol.
    >>
    >> I have options to use RAW, LPD/LPR or IPP and am unsure if there are
    >> benefits of one over the other.
    >>
    >> Geoff Lane

    Use IPP , (port 631) , that is the modern way of printing, supported by all
    Linux,mac and windows.

    In /etc/cups/cupsd.conf you just add the line
    BrowsePoll host-or-ip-addresss of your Edimax, and it's configured printers
    will be imported to that cups server, and ready to run.

    /bb

+ Reply to Thread