Small Linux Print Server - Networking

This is a discussion on Small Linux Print Server - Networking ; I would like to use an old machine as a print server. At present I have an Ubuntu system installed, the CUPS and SANE servers work well serving my XP laptops and other Linux system for printing and scanning services, ...

  1. Small Linux Print Server

    I would like to use an old machine as a print server.

    At present I have an Ubuntu system installed, the CUPS and SANE servers
    work well serving my XP laptops and other Linux system for printing and
    scanning services, normally I don't load the ubuntu desktop as the CUPS
    and SANE servers work without loggin on as a user.

    What I am wondering is, what is the smallest Linux system I could instal
    to just use the print server.

    Geoff Lane

  2. Re: Small Linux Print Server

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 19:01:37 +0100, Geoff Lane wrote:

    > I would like to use an old machine as a print server.
    >
    > At present I have an Ubuntu system installed, the CUPS and SANE servers
    > work well serving my XP laptops and other Linux system for printing and
    > scanning services, normally I don't load the ubuntu desktop as the CUPS
    > and SANE servers work without loggin on as a user.
    >
    > What I am wondering is, what is the smallest Linux system I could instal
    > to just use the print server.

    Why do you feel any need to dedicate a box as a "print server"? Put the
    printer on the network and just continue to use it from the SANE and CUPS
    Ubuntu machine.

  3. Re: Small Linux Print Server

    Greg Russell wrote:

    >> I would like to use an old machine as a print server.

    > Why do you feel any need to dedicate a box as a "print server"? Put the
    > printer on the network and just continue to use it from the SANE and CUPS
    > Ubuntu machine.

    Old and slow computer, AMD K6 350mhz, takes a fair old time to load the
    ubuntu desktop, most of the time I just load it to the ubuntu log on screen.

    I was looking for something that loads very quickly as I had been
    considering purchasing a print server.

    Geoff Lane

  4. Re: Small Linux Print Server

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 21:53:09 +0100, Geoff Lane wrote:

    >>> I would like to use an old machine as a print server.

    >> Why do you feel any need to dedicate a box as a "print server"? Put the
    >> printer on the network and just continue to use it from the SANE and
    >> CUPS Ubuntu machine.

    > Old and slow computer, AMD K6 350mhz, takes a fair old time to load the
    > ubuntu desktop, most of the time I just load it to the ubuntu log on
    > screen.

    Huh? You don't need a "desktop", monitor or even a keyboard/mouse on a
    server, just run it "init 3" and ssh to it as needed. We have a 133MHz
    server that does a rather large number of useful things on one of our
    networks.

  5. Re: Small Linux Print Server

    > What I am wondering is, what is the smallest Linux system I could instal to
    > just use the print server.

    I'd recommend OpenWRT.
    It's really aimed at small systems (e.g. little home-router boxes with
    16MB or RAM and 4MB of flash), but can scale up.
    Otherwise, I'd also recommend a basic Debian install: just don't install
    any using X11.

    Stefan

  6. Re: Small Linux Print Server

    Geoff Lane wrote:
    > I would like to use an old machine as a print server.
    >
    > At present I have an Ubuntu system installed, the CUPS and SANE servers
    > work well serving my XP laptops and other Linux system for printing and
    > scanning services, normally I don't load the ubuntu desktop as the CUPS
    > and SANE servers work without loggin on as a user.
    >
    > What I am wondering is, what is the smallest Linux system I could instal
    > to just use the print server.
    >
    > Geoff Lane

    Damn Small Linux (DSL)

    Is a good distro for such tasks. I think it's CUPS enabled.

  7. Re: Small Linux Print Server

    Greg Russell wrote:

    >> Old and slow computer, AMD K6 350mhz, takes a fair old time to load the
    >> ubuntu desktop, most of the time I just load it to the ubuntu log on
    >> screen.

    > Huh? You don't need a "desktop", monitor or even a keyboard/mouse on a
    > server, just run it "init 3" and ssh to it as needed.

    I don't often switch on the monitor, the system is installed so
    obviously has keyboard and mouse functions.

    Not sure what I need to set to run it 'init 3' and ssh.

    Geoff Lane

+ Reply to Thread