Linux Domain logins - Networking

This is a discussion on Linux Domain logins - Networking ; Hi there, I am an admin of 15PCs running linux and 20 PCs running windows XP. At the moment I have one domain controller(W2k) which serves the network. I want to set up a domain such that users of Linux ...

  1. Linux Domain logins

    Hi there,

    I am an admin of 15PCs running linux and 20 PCs running windows XP.

    At the moment I have one domain controller(W2k) which serves the
    network.

    I want to set up a domain such that users of Linux boxes can not login
    locally. When they start their machines, they should be prompted by a
    domain login and they shoul be aunthenticated by the domain.

    Please help.

  2. Re: Linux Domain logins

    jkimathi wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am an admin of 15PCs running linux and 20 PCs running windows XP.
    >
    > At the moment I have one domain controller(W2k) which serves the
    > network.
    >
    > I want to set up a domain such that users of Linux boxes can not login
    > locally. When they start their machines, they should be prompted by a
    > domain login and they shoul be aunthenticated by the domain.
    >
    > Please help.

    If you mean that you want your Windows Domain Controller to authenticate
    your Linux users, then you need winbind, part of the Samba suite.

    Robert

  3. Re: Linux Domain logins

    Hi,
    This is in response to your advice about a question I had posted to
    this user group earlier. I meant that I want to use a Linux machine as
    an equivalent of Windows Domain Controller. Such that no user of Linux
    machines can be able to login locally. They should be authenticated by
    the Linux "Primary Domain Controller".

    Again thanks 4 ua help.

    Kind regards,
    John.

    Robert Harris wrote:
    > jkimathi wrote:
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I am an admin of 15PCs running linux and 20 PCs running windows XP.
    > >
    > > At the moment I have one domain controller(W2k) which serves the
    > > network.
    > >
    > > I want to set up a domain such that users of Linux boxes can not login
    > > locally. When they start their machines, they should be prompted by a
    > > domain login and they shoul be aunthenticated by the domain.
    > >
    > > Please help.

    > If you mean that you want your Windows Domain Controller to authenticate
    > your Linux users, then you need winbind, part of the Samba suite.
    >
    > Robert

  4. Re: Linux Domain logins

    jkimathi wrote:
    > Hi,
    > This is in response to your advice about a question I had posted to
    > this user group earlier. I meant that I want to use a Linux machine as
    > an equivalent of Windows Domain Controller. Such that no user of Linux
    > machines can be able to login locally. They should be authenticated by
    > the Linux "Primary Domain Controller".
    >
    > Again thanks 4 ua help.

    Uhm.. The term 'domain controller' is somewhat confusing, since it's a
    windows term. Are you planning of having anything windows related in
    that network, or are you just wondering how to setup a linux network
    with a centralized authentication server?

    If so, you can use an LDAP device (slapd) to which linux boxes
    authenticate or you can set up a NIS(+) environment to have linux boxes
    authenticate against NIS.

    -R-

+ Reply to Thread