VPN Pass-through not working on D-Link DI-524 - Networking

This is a discussion on VPN Pass-through not working on D-Link DI-524 - Networking ; I have a problem with VPN through a DI-524. The basic configuration is as follows: - An off-site VPN Host on the Internet that I can connect to - An XP Client for VPN which is generally behind the DI-524 ...

  1. VPN Pass-through not working on D-Link DI-524

    I have a problem with VPN through a DI-524. The basic configuration
    is as follows:

    - An off-site VPN Host on the Internet that I can connect to
    - An XP Client for VPN which is generally behind the DI-524 and
    ultimately connected to a cable modem and the Internet

    For the purposes of test, I put aside the DI-524, connect my Client XP
    to the cable-modem & all works well. I connect to the VPN Host & test
    as follows:

    1.) I execute a VPN Connection I've prepared in Network Connections.
    This pops an icon in the systray showing a VPN connection to the Host.
    2.) Next, I open Explorer & search for the Host by it's computer-name.
    The Host shows up as an icon in explorer.
    3.) When I double-click on the icon of the Host, it opens a dialog box
    needing a logon & password.
    4.) I enter appropriate logon & password and, Bingo… I see the shared
    contents of the Host & can use it's folders & files.

    Now for the problem;
    I put the DI-524 in place. It has been configured with D-Link's
    support help (details below). I do exactly the same exercise as above
    but at step #4 when I enter appropriate logon & password, I get stuck.
    The dialog box simply comes back. I can't get past this step to
    actually see & use the Host resource.

    Interestingly; If I use "net view" from a DOS window, I do see the
    next level resources (folders & such) of the Host.

    I've had D-Link support on the phone. They tweaked the settings in my
    router to no avail. Their position is the router works for VPN
    pass-through & the problem is elsewhere. They are undeterred in this
    view by the fact that all works well with the router bypassed. I've
    pointed out that others suggest that a hang at that password is
    typically indicative of a failure of GRE- Protocol 47. D-Link says
    they support that protocol, that's not the problem.

    One of my own favorite theories is that D-Link is in error, their
    router actually has a bug & does not support VPN. For what it's
    worth, I did flash the latest firmware.

    Router configuration is as follows (192.168.0.101 is the client's IP):

    Virtual Server Stuff enabled:
    PPTP 192.168.0.101 TCP 1723/1723
    IPSec 192.168.0.101 UDP 500/500

    Firewall settings:
    Allow IPSec_ESP WAN,* LAN,192.168.0.101 ESP,
    Allow PPTP WAN,* LAN,192.168.0.101 TCP,1723
    Allow PPTP_GRE WAN,* LAN,192.168.0.101 GRE,

    Misc. /VPN Pass-Through Settings:
    PPTP Enabled
    IPSec Enabled

    (I have also tried DMZ & that doesn't help.)

    Thoughts?
    Mike

  2. Re: VPN Pass-through not working on D-Link DI-524

    I don't have the same router, but on my router dir-655, you will need to set this in the virtual server list...

    Gre:
    Under traffic type, the protocol is "Other", and set to 4. The public and private field should greyed out. Ip, is ip to your server.

    pptp:
    Under traffic type, the protocol is "TCP", and set to 6. The public and private field is set to 1723. Ip, is ip to your server.

    Make sure your software firewall allows this. (you can disable it)
    Make sure in the ALG section that pptp is checked. (all the options there should be already checked by default)

  3. Thumbs up Re: VPN Pass-through not working on D-Link DI-524

    Quote Originally Posted by hdv View Post
    I don't have the same router, but on my router dir-655, you will need to set this in the virtual server list...

    Gre:
    Under traffic type, the protocol is "Other", and set to 4. The public and private field should greyed out. Ip, is ip to your server.

    pptp:
    Under traffic type, the protocol is "TCP", and set to 6. The public and private field is set to 1723. Ip, is ip to your server.

    Make sure your software firewall allows this. (you can disable it)
    Make sure in the ALG section that pptp is checked. (all the options there should be already checked by default)
    I just had to register here to say... THANK YOU THANK YOU! =)

    I've been googling my brains out trying to figure why my router (DIR-655) wasn't allowing the connection to my Windows 7 PPTP server. I very nearly didn't follow your advice... I thought you meant to say open protocol 47 (which I have) but typo'd as just "4". I looked up protocol 4 and saw that it was IP encapsulation and suddenly a light flicked on! All is well now, thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread