[dhclient]force use of a well known dhcp server - Networking

This is a discussion on [dhclient]force use of a well known dhcp server - Networking ; Hi Is it possible to force the dhclient to communicate only with a fixed DHCP server I think this will resolve the problem raised by a bad DHCP server connecte to the LAN Any comment is welcome Regards...

  1. [dhclient]force use of a well known dhcp server

    Hi

    Is it possible to force the dhclient to communicate only with a fixed
    DHCP server

    I think this will resolve the problem raised by a bad DHCP server
    connecte to the LAN

    Any comment is welcome

    Regards

  2. Re: [dhclient]force use of a well known dhcp server

    In message
    <99409c10-f985-4ac1-8514-0f6afb3f8518@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, mbm
    wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Is it possible to force the dhclient to communicate only with a fixed
    > DHCP server
    >
    > I think this will resolve the problem raised by a bad DHCP server
    > connecte to the LAN

    There's an option for dhclient.conf to force it to reject a particular
    server, but I can't see one to force it to only communicate with a
    particular one. That's not very fault-tolerant anyway.

    --
    Dave
    mail da ve@llondel.org (without the space)

  3. Re: force use of a well known dhcp server

    On Apr 2, 7:36 am, mbm wrote:

    > Is it possible to force the dhclient to communicate only with a fixed
    > DHCP server
    >
    > I think this will resolve the problem raised by a bad DHCP server
    > connecte to the LAN
    >
    > Any comment is welcome

    If you don't trust DHCP on the LAN for any reason, I'd recommend using
    static configuration if at all possible. Otherwise, I suppose you can
    add 'ipfilter' rules to block out DHCP packets from other MAC
    addresses.

    DS

  4. Re: force use of a well known dhcp server

    Hello,

    David Schwartz a écrit :

    > If you don't trust DHCP on the LAN for any reason, I'd recommend using
    > static configuration if at all possible. Otherwise, I suppose you can
    > add 'ipfilter' rules to block out DHCP packets from other MAC
    > addresses.

    I'm afraid ipfilter is not the most common packet filter on Linux.
    Anyway, this approach may fail because some DHCP clients such as
    dhclient from the ISC DHCP package capture incoming packets at the
    interface - just like packet sniffers - and not at the IP layer.

+ Reply to Thread