Wireless access through a router connected directly to a hub? - Networking

This is a discussion on Wireless access through a router connected directly to a hub? - Networking ; My company operates a pretty large LAN (40 users and above); I don't know the exact network topology. There is a rack housing several hubs (DLink, Amtek etc). Internet access is provided through a server (Linux), ie the broadband modem ...

  1. Wireless access through a router connected directly to a hub?

    My company operates a pretty large LAN (40 users and above); I don't
    know the exact network topology.

    There is a rack housing several hubs (DLink, Amtek etc). Internet
    access is provided through a server (Linux), ie the broadband modem is
    connected directly to the server, not a hub.

    I figure that this way all internet traffic has to go through the
    server; it seems a little odd to me (forgive me for being short of
    networking knowledge).

    Would it possible to provide internet acceess by connecting the
    broadband modem directly to the hub (may be via a router), so that the
    server would not be busy all the time ?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Wireless access through a router connected directly to a hub?

    On Mar 31, 7:29 pm, sb5...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > My company operates a pretty large LAN (40 users and above); I don't
    > know the exact network topology.
    >
    > There is a rack housing several hubs (DLink, Amtek etc). Internet
    > access is provided through a server (Linux), ie the broadband modem is
    > connected directly to the server, not a hub.

    Sounds pretty typical.

    > I figure that this way all internet traffic has to go through the
    > server; it seems a little odd to me (forgive me for being short of
    > networking knowledge).

    Surely it has to go through something.

    > Would it possible to provide internet acceess by connecting the
    > broadband modem directly to the hub (may be via a router), so that the
    > server would not be busy all the time ?

    Not likely, but even if it was, then how would you administer and
    manage it? As for going through a router, what do you think the server
    is? Routing is just something computers do, just like serving.

    If the server is busy, you might want to consider adding a second or
    upgrading it.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread