copying whole directories CLI ftp client - Networking

This is a discussion on copying whole directories CLI ftp client - Networking ; Hi I've tried lftp, ncftp and can't seem to find out how to get/put whole directories. I want to stick with cli ftp clients. Any suggestions thank you...

  1. copying whole directories CLI ftp client

    Hi I've tried lftp, ncftp and can't seem to find out
    how to get/put whole directories.
    I want to stick with cli ftp clients.
    Any suggestions

    thank you

  2. Re: copying whole directories CLI ftp client

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:00:55 +0000, xtd8865 wrote:

    > Hi I've tried lftp, ncftp and can't seem to find out
    > how to get/put whole directories.
    > I want to stick with cli ftp clients.

    ncftp

    get -R blah-blah
    put -R blah-blah

  3. Re: copying whole directories CLI ftp client

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 14:38:42 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:00:55 +0000, xtd8865 wrote:
    >
    >> Hi I've tried lftp, ncftp and can't seem to find out
    >> how to get/put whole directories.
    >> I want to stick with cli ftp clients.

    > ncftp
    >
    > get -R blah-blah
    > put -R blah-blah

    sftp: put * / get *

    Jonesy

  4. Re: copying whole directories CLI ftp client

    xtd8865 wrote:
    > Hi I've tried lftp, ncftp and can't seem to find out
    > how to get/put whole directories.
    > I want to stick with cli ftp clients.
    > Any suggestions
    >

    > thank you

    With LFTP, trying using the 'mirror' command instead of 'get'

  5. Re: copying whole directories CLI ftp client

    >> Hi I've tried lftp, ncftp and can't seem to find out
    >> how to get/put whole directories.
    >> I want to stick with cli ftp clients.
    >> Any suggestions

    Not sure what the final goal is, but a lot of people don't
    know that most FTP servers will automatically create a tar
    file for you of a directory, .e.g. On windows xp I can open
    a command prompt, use their command line ftp to login to
    our RHEL 4 server, switch to binary transfer and then
    type: get junk_dir.tar -- it will download a single tar
    file to you containing the contents of junk_dir on the server.

    Hope this helps. There may be a way to 'reverse' the
    process, but I don't know the command.
    --
    John
    John Murtari Software Workshop Inc.

  6. Re: copying whole directories CLI ftp client

    John Murtari wrote:

    > Not sure what the final goal is, but a lot of people don't
    > know that most FTP servers will automatically create a tar
    > file for you of a directory, .e.g. On windows xp I can open
    > a command prompt, use their command line ftp to login to
    > our RHEL 4 server, switch to binary transfer and then
    > type: get junk_dir.tar -- it will download a single tar
    > file to you containing the contents of junk_dir on the server.
    >
    > Hope this helps. There may be a way to 'reverse' the
    > process, but I don't know the command.

    Didn't know that, but also, did not get it to work.
    Tried it on ProFTPD, PureFTP and FTPD. (not my installs, but servers I
    have FTP logins on, so it's either turned off or unsupported).

  7. Re: copying whole directories CLI ftp client

    xtd8865 wrote:
    > Hi I've tried lftp, ncftp and can't seem to find out
    > how to get/put whole directories.

    ncftp usually brings ncftpget and ncftpput along. see the man page for
    -R.

    Cheers

  8. Re: copying whole directories CLI ftp client

    On 2008-08-21, harry.potter@fredastaire.ch wrote:

    > xtd8865 wrote:
    >> Hi I've tried lftp, ncftp and can't seem to find out
    >> how to get/put whole directories.

    > ncftp usually brings ncftpget and ncftpput along. see the man page for
    > -R.

    ALternatively, use mc.

    --
    Hanlon's Razor:
    Never attribute to malice that which is

  9. Re: copying whole directories CLI ftp client

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 01:01:30 +0200, harry.potter@fredastaire.ch wrote:
    >xtd8865 wrote:
    >> Hi I've tried lftp, ncftp and can't seem to find out
    >> how to get/put whole directories.

    >ncftp usually brings ncftpget and ncftpput along. see the man page for
    >-R.

    I simply tar up the directory.
    Rsync does a reasonable job as well.

+ Reply to Thread