access my network drive - Networking

This is a discussion on access my network drive - Networking ; Hi I've got a network drive (192.168.1.104) on my local network. What do I need to do to access it from work (could be through a web browser or ftp). I created an ftp user on the drive. It's easy ...

  1. access my network drive

    Hi

    I've got a network drive (192.168.1.104) on my local network. What do I
    need to do to access it from work (could be through a web browser or
    ftp). I created an ftp user on the drive.

    It's easy to access it from other computers on my local network, just ftp
    user@192.168.1.104, but how can I do it from work or elsewhere. The bit I
    don't understand is the fact that here I've got 2 IPs my external IP and
    the internal IP of the drive (192.168.1.104)

    thank you very much for any help

    regards

    xtd8865

  2. Re: access my network drive

    xtd8865 wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've got a network drive (192.168.1.104) on my local network. What do I
    > need to do to access it from work (could be through a web browser or
    > ftp). I created an ftp user on the drive.
    >
    > It's easy to access it from other computers on my local network, just ftp
    > user@192.168.1.104, but how can I do it from work or elsewhere. The bit I
    > don't understand is the fact that here I've got 2 IPs my external IP and
    > the internal IP of the drive (192.168.1.104)
    >
    > thank you very much for any help
    >
    > regards
    >
    > xtd8865

    Between your machine with the network drive and the internet you have a
    router. You need to log into your router and tell it to forward ftp
    connections to your 192.168.1.104 machine (look for "Port Forwarding").

    Robert

  3. Re: access my network drive

    Thanks guys

    Everything works now,

    regards
    xtd

  4. Re: access my network drive

    xtd8865 wrote:
    > Thanks guys
    >
    > Everything works now,
    >
    > regards
    > xtd

    Just some extra info about forwarding FTP:
    FTP and NAT is generally not the best combo. Ftp uses a control
    connection and a data connection. Look up the correct ports (20+21?) and
    try using passive FTP.

    If everything fails, just try using SFTP over SSH (works by default in
    most linux distros. It's a lot safer to use over the internet anyway).

    (in case of a linux desktop, command-line sftp works, through gnome, you
    can connect to an sftp server too. From windows, try using psftp or winscp).

    -R-

  5. Re: access my network drive

    Jurgen Haan wrote:
    > xtd8865 wrote:
    >> Thanks guys
    >>
    >> Everything works now,
    >>
    >> regards
    >> xtd

    > Just some extra info about forwarding FTP:
    > FTP and NAT is generally not the best combo. Ftp uses a control
    > connection and a data connection. Look up the correct ports (20+21?) and
    > try using passive FTP.
    >
    > If everything fails, just try using SFTP over SSH (works by default in
    > most linux distros. It's a lot safer to use over the internet anyway).
    >
    > (in case of a linux desktop, command-line sftp works, through gnome, you
    > can connect to an sftp server too. From windows, try using psftp or winscp).
    >
    > -R-

    (ofc that was fyi for when you get errors with certain ftp clients).

+ Reply to Thread