wireless and cordless phone-- interference. - Networking

This is a discussion on wireless and cordless phone-- interference. - Networking ; My son has a wireless b/g ADSL modem (2wire). He also has a cordless phone. Whenever he uses the phone the wireless does not work. Is there some way around this, bar buying a new phone? I assume the phone ...

  1. wireless and cordless phone-- interference.

    My son has a wireless b/g ADSL modem (2wire). He also has a cordless phone.
    Whenever he uses the phone the wireless does not work. Is there some way
    around this, bar buying a new phone? I assume the phone is a 2.4GHz phone,
    but have not had confirmation of this yet.

    Another problem he has is that he is in an appartment building in which
    there are lots of wireless modems. He has problems with his computer (
    Linux Mandriva 2007.1 with ipw3945 wireless) suddenly attaching itself to
    one of theother modems in the building. Is there some way to prevent this?
    (Yes, his modem has a unique ESSID)

    Ie he will find that his wireless connection has suddenly stopped working
    adn when he checks iwconfig discovers it has associated with a neighbor's
    modem.

  2. Re: wireless and cordless phone-- interference.

    Unruh writes:

    >My son has a wireless b/g ADSL modem (2wire). He also has a cordless phone.
    >Whenever he uses the phone the wireless does not work. Is there some way
    >around this, bar buying a new phone? I assume the phone is a 2.4GHz phone,
    >but have not had confirmation of this yet.

    >Another problem he has is that he is in an appartment building in which
    >there are lots of wireless modems. He has problems with his computer (
    >Linux Mandriva 2007.1 with ipw3945 wireless) suddenly attaching itself to
    >one of theother modems in the building. Is there some way to prevent this?
    >(Yes, his modem has a unique ESSID)

    >Ie he will find that his wireless connection has suddenly stopped working
    >adn when he checks iwconfig discovers it has associated with a neighbor's
    >modem.

    Well, he moved his wireless to an unused ( by any of the other residents)
    channel and that seems to have solved both the wireless inappriate
    associations, and the telephone problem. But there must be a way of
    preventing inappropriate associations without that. After all if all of the
    residents did that, since there are at least 30 residents and only 11
    channels ....

  3. Re: wireless and cordless phone-- interference.

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 21:48:59 GMT, Bill Unruh wrote:
    > Unruh writes:
    >
    >>My son has a wireless b/g ADSL modem (2wire). He also has a cordless phone.
    >>Whenever he uses the phone the wireless does not work. Is there some way
    >>around this, bar buying a new phone? I assume the phone is a 2.4GHz phone,
    >>but have not had confirmation of this yet.

    >>Another problem he has is that he is in an appartment building in which
    >>there are lots of wireless modems. He has problems with his computer (
    >>Linux Mandriva 2007.1 with ipw3945 wireless) suddenly attaching itself to
    >>one of theother modems in the building. Is there some way to prevent this?
    >>(Yes, his modem has a unique ESSID)

    >>Ie he will find that his wireless connection has suddenly stopped working
    >>adn when he checks iwconfig discovers it has associated with a neighbor's
    >>modem.
    >>

    > Well, he moved his wireless to an unused ( by any of the other residents)
    > channel and that seems to have solved both the wireless inappriate
    > associations, and the telephone problem. But there must be a way of
    > preventing inappropriate associations without that. After all if all of the
    > residents did that, since there are at least 30 residents and only 11
    > channels ....

    Welcome to the unlicensed, unregulated RF Wild West.

    "This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation
    is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may
    not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept
    any interference received, including interference that may cause
    undesired operation.

    Where you read "(1) this device may not cause harmful interference," it
    means harmful interference to any _licensed service_.

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts: