SSH, remote device connected via 3G - Networking

This is a discussion on SSH, remote device connected via 3G - Networking ; Hi, Is there a correct way to SSH into a remote device that is connected via 3G? The following has been tried, but with no success: Desktop in room A, connected to internet via ADSL. Laptop in room B, connected ...

  1. SSH, remote device connected via 3G

    Hi,

    Is there a correct way to SSH into a remote device that is connected via 3G?

    The following has been tried, but with no success:
    Desktop in room A, connected to internet via ADSL.
    Laptop in room B, connected to internet via 3G.

    I tried to SSH from Desktop to Laptop but a timeout error occurs. The
    Laptop can't seem to be detected via the internet.

    Using ipconfig on the laptop, the subnet mask is 255.255.255.255.

    Am I missing out something? Or is this timeout failure caused by
    possible NAT arrangement on the ISP side? Is there any way to overcome
    this failure?

    Thanks,
    Jeremy

  2. Re: SSH, remote device connected via 3G

    Jer wrote:

    > Am I missing out something? Or is this timeout failure caused by
    > possible NAT arrangement on the ISP side? Is there any way to overcome
    > this failure?

    It's very likely that there's some way in the ISP infrastructure that
    makes in 1-way.

    Try opening a VPN between source and target.
    Laptop as a VPN client and the other machine as a VPN server.
    After that you can connect back to the Laptop through the VPN.

    I can see the problem this is causing because it would mean initiating 2
    client-server connections from both sides.

    the VPN from laptop to workstation and the SSH from workstation to
    laptop. If you're able to do both, you might aswell be able to sit
    behind the laptop directly.

    The only way this would work is when both machines would be up all the time.

    -R-

  3. Re: SSH, remote device connected via 3G

    This is getting complex. Setting up of DYNDNS, openVPN/getting a VPN
    router, making vpn client work on Linux, configuration on auto-reconnect
    upon disconnection, and troubleshooting... All are not my cup of tea.
    Well, I just have to keep learning

    Thanks for your suggestion! And have a good day ahead!

    Jurgen Haan wrote:
    > Jer wrote:
    >
    >> Am I missing out something? Or is this timeout failure caused by
    >> possible NAT arrangement on the ISP side? Is there any way to overcome
    >> this failure?

    > It's very likely that there's some way in the ISP infrastructure that
    > makes in 1-way.
    >
    > Try opening a VPN between source and target.
    > Laptop as a VPN client and the other machine as a VPN server.
    > After that you can connect back to the Laptop through the VPN.
    >
    > I can see the problem this is causing because it would mean initiating 2
    > client-server connections from both sides.
    >
    > the VPN from laptop to workstation and the SSH from workstation to
    > laptop. If you're able to do both, you might aswell be able to sit
    > behind the laptop directly.
    >
    > The only way this would work is when both machines would be up all the time.
    >
    > -R-

+ Reply to Thread