Wireless tools - Networking

This is a discussion on Wireless tools - Networking ; I'm having A LOT of troubles with wireless tools, wireless extensions and uCLinux with kernel 2.4.19-uc1; From what I see after I modprobe the module for setting up the wireless interface, if I type iwconfig I get the following data: ...

  1. Wireless tools

    I'm having A LOT of troubles with wireless tools, wireless extensions
    and uCLinux with kernel 2.4.19-uc1;
    From what I see after I modprobe the module for setting up the
    wireless interface, if I type iwconfig I get the following data:

    # iwconfig
    Warning: Driver for device wlan0 has been compiled with an ancient
    version
    of Wireless Extension, while this program support version 11 and
    later.
    Some things may be broken...

    wlan0 IEEE 802.11-DS Nickname:""
    Access Point: 02:00:00:00:00:00 Bit Rate=281.147 Mb/s
    Sensitivity=282145732/0
    RTS thr=281147292 B Fragment thr=281147292 B
    Power Managementn
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 invalid crypt:0 invalid misc:0

    Now if I give the command "iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc" for instance
    the result is that the 1st byte of the Access Point address changes
    from 02 to 01 (and back to 02 with "iwconfig wlan0 mode managed").
    This led me to think that the structures defined in wireless
    extensions were not aligned probably due to version mismatching.

    So I checked the linux/include/linux/wireless.h in kernel source files
    and I found the line

    #define WIRELESS_EXT 13

    while atm I'm crosscompiling iwtools using a "wireless.h" file with
    the line

    #define WIRELESS_EXT 17

    The first thought.I had was to find a wireless_tools.13.tar.gz version
    of the wirless tools... but... I couldn't find any!

    So I tried to replace linux/include/linux/wireless.h (version 13) with
    the version 17. As a result when trying to compile the kernel I got an
    error in this file linux/include/net/iw_handler.h stating that the
    structure iw_event was being redefined; to avoid the issue I
    *commented* the following lines in the file iw_handler.h

    317 struct iw_event
    318 {
    319 __u16 length; /* Lenght of this stuff */
    320 __u16 event; /* Wireless IOCTL */
    321 union iwreq_data header;/* IOCTL fixed payload */
    322 char extra[0]; /* Optional IOCTL data */
    323 };

    and was able to compile the kernel and the modules.
    Again, after having switched to the brand new kernel and modules, I
    got the same problem ... so I wonder how can I solve it ?

    Thanks for your time ! I hope you can help me with this, because I've
    got no clues about the solution.

    Cheers
    RM

  2. Re: Wireless tools

    inuY4sha@email.it wrote:

    > I'm having A LOT of troubles with wireless tools, wireless
    > extensions and uCLinux with kernel 2.4.19-uc1;
    > From what I see after I modprobe the module for setting up the
    > wireless interface, if I type iwconfig I get the following data:
    >

    > So I checked the linux/include/linux/wireless.h in kernel source
    > files and I found the line
    >
    > #define WIRELESS_EXT 13
    >
    > while atm I'm crosscompiling iwtools using a "wireless.h" file
    > with the line
    >
    > #define WIRELESS_EXT 17
    >
    > The first thought.I had was to find a wireless_tools.13.tar.gz
    > version of the wirless tools... but... I couldn't find any!

    WE-13 should be wireless_tools v. 23

    Have a look here:
    http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_...nux/Tools.html

    HTH
    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  3. Re: Wireless tools

    Hi Joerg ... I tried your solution with wireless_tools.23.tar.gz; Now
    iwconfig gives me the following

    Warning : Device wlan0 has been compiled with version 0
    of Wireless Extension, while we are using version 13.
    Some things may be broken...

    wlan0 IEEE 802.11-DS Nickname:""
    Mode:Auto Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00Bit Rate=281.017Mb/
    Tx-Power=0 dBm
    Retryn RTS thr=281016528 B Fragment thr=281016528 B
    Power Management00:00:00:00:00:00n
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

    and I still can't set any of the parameters with iwconfig ( it accepts
    it but doesn't change what I want.. ).

    I would like to detail a couple of things here:
    1) the diff of the wireless.h in the kernel sources & in compiler
    sources with the one in the wireless tools is now *the same* : same
    version and same stuff inside.
    2) I don't really know what the problem could be and it's in fact very
    difficult to know due to the following reason: the wireless driver I'm
    using atm is *really not standard*; it looks like it's been wrapped
    from orinoco, but I'm not really sure about the behaviour.. in any
    case I'm stuck to this driver and must use it...

    > WE-13 should be wireless_tools v. 23
    >
    > Have a look here:
    > http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_...nux/Tools.html
    >
    > HTH
    > Joerg
    > --
    > For email use g m x d o t n e t

  4. Re: Wireless tools

    In news:2ca0ca21-e916-40e0-8d9e-d6e9900f5a15@a1g2000hsb.googlegroups.com,
    inuY4sha@email.it typed:

    > I'm having A LOT of troubles with wireless tools, wireless extensions
    > and uCLinux with kernel 2.4.19-uc1;

    Of course you are, with such an ancient kernel.

  5. Re: Wireless tools

    > Of course you are, with such an ancient kernel.

    I know it's quite old but that's what I've got here..
    in any case wireless tools help pages state

    * For kernel after 2.2.14/2.3.30 use Wireless Tools version 20 or
    greater.
    * For kernel after 2.6.13 use Wireless Tools version 27 or greater

    which means that I should be fine with a version of wireless tools
    between 20 and 26 ...
    Right ? But I'm not...

  6. Re: Wireless tools

    InuY4sha wrote:

    > Hi Joerg ... *I tried your solution with
    > wireless_tools.23.tar.gz; Now iwconfig gives me the following
    >
    > Warning : Device wlan0 has been compiled with version 0
    > of Wireless Extension, while we are using version 13.
    > Some things may be broken...
    >
    > wlan0 * * IEEE 802.11-DS *Nickname:""
    > Mode:Auto *Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00Bit Rate=281.017Mb/
    > Tx-Power=0 dBm
    > Retryn * RTS thr=281016528 B * Fragment thr=281016528 B
    > Power Management00:00:00:00:00:00n
    > Link Quality:0 *Signal level:0 *Noise level:0
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 *Rx invalid crypt:0 *Rx invalid frag:0
    > Tx excessive retries:0 *Invalid misc:0 * Missed beacon:0
    >
    > and I still can't set any of the parameters with iwconfig ( it
    > accepts it but doesn't change what I want.. ).
    >
    > I would like to detail a couple of things here:
    > 1) the diff of the wireless.h in the kernel sources & in
    > compiler sources with the one in the wireless tools is now *the
    > same* : same version and same stuff inside.
    > 2) I don't really know what the problem could be and it's in
    > fact very difficult to know due to the following reason: the
    > wireless driver I'm using atm is *really not standard*; it looks
    > like it's been wrapped from orinoco, but I'm not really sure
    > about the behaviour.. in any case I'm stuck to this driver and
    > must use it...

    Hm, looking at the wireless_tools site gives the impression that
    2.4.19 needs the WE-14 + WE-13 bug fix patch (see section kernel
    2.4.x patches), so basically you should need wirless_tools v24. I
    remember that wireless_tools and 2.4 kernels were a PITA. You
    could try wireless_tools >= 27, since it supports multiple
    versions of WE.

    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  7. Re: Wireless tools

    > Hm, looking at the wireless_tools site gives the impression that
    > 2.4.19 needs the WE-14 + WE-13 bug fix patch (see section kernel
    > 2.4.x patches), so basically you should need wirless_tools v24. I
    > remember that wireless_tools and 2.4 kernels were a PITA. You
    > could try wireless_tools >= 27, since it supports multiple
    > versions of WE.

    Regarding the PITA I can totally agree.. anyway, I tried
    wireless_tools.27.tar.gz
    wireless_tools.23.tar.gz
    wireless_tools.20.tar.gz
    wireless_tools.24.tar.gz
    And nothing did work.
    I'm now trying to patch the kernel with a file I happened to see in
    the "installation CD" I got along with the stuff I'm working on. In
    parallel I'll have a look at the section you are telling me about and
    check if anything useful comes out..
    I'll let you know; if you have any hints let me know...

    RM

  8. Re: Wireless tools

    inuY4sha@email.it writes:

    >I'm having A LOT of troubles with wireless tools, wireless extensions
    >and uCLinux with kernel 2.4.19-uc1;

    And you are running such an ancient kernel why? It is not surprizing that
    your wireless driver is declared ancient.

    >From what I see after I modprobe the module for setting up the
    >wireless interface, if I type iwconfig I get the following data:

    ># iwconfig
    >Warning: Driver for device wlan0 has been compiled with an ancient
    >version
    >of Wireless Extension, while this program support version 11 and
    >later.
    >Some things may be broken...

    Precisely. What is y our question?

    >wlan0 IEEE 802.11-DS Nickname:""
    > Access Point: 02:00:00:00:00:00 Bit Rate=281.147 Mb/s
    >Sensitivity=282145732/0
    > RTS thr=281147292 B Fragment thr=281147292 B
    > Power Managementn
    > Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 invalid crypt:0 invalid misc:0

    >Now if I give the command "iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc" for instance
    >the result is that the 1st byte of the Access Point address changes
    >from 02 to 01 (and back to 02 with "iwconfig wlan0 mode managed").
    >This led me to think that the structures defined in wireless
    >extensions were not aligned probably due to version mismatching.

    >So I checked the linux/include/linux/wireless.h in kernel source files
    >and I found the line

    > #define WIRELESS_EXT 13

    >while atm I'm crosscompiling iwtools using a "wireless.h" file with
    >the line

    > #define WIRELESS_EXT 17

    >The first thought.I had was to find a wireless_tools.13.tar.gz version
    >of the wirless tools... but... I couldn't find any!

    >So I tried to replace linux/include/linux/wireless.h (version 13) with
    >the version 17. As a result when trying to compile the kernel I got an
    >error in this file linux/include/net/iw_handler.h stating that the
    >structure iw_event was being redefined; to avoid the issue I
    >*commented* the following lines in the file iw_handler.h

    >317 struct iw_event
    >318 {
    >319 __u16 length; /* Lenght of this stuff */
    >320 __u16 event; /* Wireless IOCTL */
    >321 union iwreq_data header;/* IOCTL fixed payload */
    >322 char extra[0]; /* Optional IOCTL data */
    >323 };

    >and was able to compile the kernel and the modules.
    >Again, after having switched to the brand new kernel and modules, I
    >got the same problem ... so I wonder how can I solve it ?

    >Thanks for your time ! I hope you can help me with this, because I've
    >got no clues about the solution.

    >Cheers
    >RM

+ Reply to Thread