Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow - Networking

This is a discussion on Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow - Networking ; On 2008-03-25, AZ Nomad wrote: > On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:35:11 -0500, Ignoramus16148 wrote: >>I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a >>laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP ...

  1. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    On 2008-03-25, AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:35:11 -0500, Ignoramus16148 wrote:
    >>I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a
    >>laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP test yields about 6
    >>megabytes per second transfer speed.

    >>SCP is only doing 188 kB per second, or 36 times slower.

    >>I am copying from Ubuntu Hardy to Fedora 7.

    >>WTF, how can I debug this. Thanks.

    > do a google search for "scp performance"?
    >
    > Use NFS instead of SCP?

    I want to use SCP. It is a bad security to se NFS in this manner.

  2. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    Ignoramus16148 wrote:

    > On 2008-03-25, AZ Nomad wrote:
    >> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:35:11 -0500, Ignoramus16148
    >> wrote:
    >>>I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a
    >>>laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP test yields about 6
    >>>megabytes per second transfer speed.

    >>>SCP is only doing 188 kB per second, or 36 times slower.

    >>>I am copying from Ubuntu Hardy to Fedora 7.

    >>>WTF, how can I debug this. Thanks.

    >> do a google search for "scp performance"?
    >>
    >> Use NFS instead of SCP?

    > I want to use SCP. It is a bad security to se NFS in this manner.

    Bad security on YOUR local LAN?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  3. Re: scp UNBELIEVABLY slow

    "Ignoramus16148" wrote in message
    > On 2008-03-25, AZ Nomad wrote:
    >> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:35:11 -0500, Ignoramus16148
    >> wrote:
    >>>I am on a good network here. I need to copy a bunch of AVI from a
    >>>laptop to my basement server. Wired network. HTTP test yields about 6
    >>>megabytes per second transfer speed.

    >>>SCP is only doing 188 kB per second, or 36 times slower.

    >>>I am copying from Ubuntu Hardy to Fedora 7.

    >>>WTF, how can I debug this. Thanks.

    >> do a google search for "scp performance"?
    >>
    >> Use NFS instead of SCP?

    > I want to use SCP. It is a bad security to se NFS in this manner.

    if you don't get it sorted out, I've had pretty good luck with:
    rsync -e ssh ...

    there's some documentation referenced from:
    http://rsync.samba.org/documentation.html

    regards,
    mark

+ Reply to Thread