The reason behind 576 bytes - Networking

This is a discussion on The reason behind 576 bytes - Networking ; Hi, I find that the minimum size specified in the IP standard, 576 bytes But, How and why did they decide to fix the mininum size to be 576 bytes. I am interested in understanding the reason behind this decision ...

  1. The reason behind 576 bytes

    Hi,

    I find that the minimum size specified in the IP standard, 576 bytes
    But, How and why did they decide to fix the mininum size to be 576
    bytes. I am interested in understanding the reason behind this
    decision of 576 bytes . Any links / ideas ?

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

  2. Re: The reason behind 576 bytes

    On 03/18/08 12:40, karthikbalaguru wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I find that the minimum size specified in the IP standard, 576 bytes
    > But, How and why did they decide to fix the mininum size to be 576
    > bytes. I am interested in understanding the reason behind this
    > decision of 576 bytes . Any links / ideas ?
    >
    > Thx in advans,
    > Karthik Balaguru

    If you will check out RFC 791 defining the IP protocol, example 1
    in appendix A shows a complete datagram with a total length of
    21 octets. Perhaps you are confusing datagram size with the minimum
    size packet that a host must also be able to accept? This is also
    defined in RFC 791 and came from a reasonable guess of 64 octets of
    header plus 512 octets of data.

    Doug

  3. Re: The reason behind 576 bytes

    karthikbalaguru wrote:
    > I find that the minimum size specified in the IP standard, 576 bytes
    > But, How and why did they decide to fix the mininum size to be 576
    > bytes. I am interested in understanding the reason behind this
    > decision of 576 bytes . Any links / ideas ?

    That is the minimum maximum IP reassembly size - that is, all
    conforming implementations of IPv4 must be able to reassemble IP
    datagrams at least 576 bytes in size.

    As suggested by others, that differs from a minimum IP datagram size.

    rick jones