trusted hosts with rsync - Networking

This is a discussion on trusted hosts with rsync - Networking ; Hi, I'm using rsync to transfer a file from an embedded device to the central server. Now the problem is, i can't get create and get a key over to the central server since the server doesn't know what clients ...

  1. trusted hosts with rsync

    Hi,

    I'm using rsync to transfer a file from an embedded device to the central
    server. Now the problem is, i can't get create and get a key over to the
    central server since the server doesn't know what clients are gonna connect
    so I'm using the unencrypted rsync method with the "::" operator.
    Now how can I get a range of trusted hosts so the server wouldn't be asking
    for a password? Right now I'm just using the --password-file option like:
    rsync -av --password-file=pwd ./log_record
    root@192.168.101.3::PRG-LOG/log_record_T1111 but i would like to define a
    trusted IP range or something on the server, is this possible?
    If yes, how?

    Thank you for your help!
    --
    chEErs roN

  2. Re: trusted hosts with rsync

    Ron Eggler wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using rsync to transfer a file from an embedded device to the central
    > server. Now the problem is, i can't get create and get a key over to the
    > central server since the server doesn't know what clients are gonna
    > connect so I'm using the unencrypted rsync method with the "::" operator.
    > Now how can I get a range of trusted hosts so the server wouldn't be
    > asking for a password? Right now I'm just using the --password-file option
    > like: rsync -av --password-file=pwd ./log_record
    > root@192.168.101.3::PRG-LOG/log_record_T1111 but i would like to define a
    > trusted IP range or something on the server, is this possible?
    > If yes, how?
    >
    > Thank you for your help!

    Okay,
    I figured a way to do it, what I'll do is, the first time i will use rsync
    to copy a script-generated key file onto the server and from then on, i'll
    be able to use secured ssh connection
    isn't that cool?
    It took my a bit to write the shell script tho but i got it together now.
    Now I'm having troubles with my key authentication, see other posting pls.
    Thanks!
    --
    chEErs roN

+ Reply to Thread