ifconfig equivalent for Windows? - Networking

This is a discussion on ifconfig equivalent for Windows? - Networking ; I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns, frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all. The problem is that we have a mixed ...

  1. ifconfig equivalent for Windows?

    I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
    that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
    frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.

    The problem is that we have a mixed network of Linux and Windows boxes
    and my main Linux machine's internal facing NIC is showing
    RX packets:86272246 errors:3084 dropped:821 overruns:3084 frame:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:4145544363 (3953.4 Mb) TX bytes:3168716203 (3021.9 Mb)

    and I need to find the Bad Boy that is causing all those overruns.
    Short of booting a live Linux distro on each Windows box, is there
    some tool available for detecting the source of the RX overruns?
    --
    buck

  2. Re: ifconfig equivalent for Windows?

    buck wrote:
    > I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
    > that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
    > frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.

    I think ipconfig is the closest windows command line utility.

    Geoff Lane

  3. Re: ifconfig equivalent for Windows?

    > I think ipconfig is the closest windows command line utility.

    ditto.

    winipcfg on older windows.

    ipconfig /ALL

    in combination with

    route PRINT

    Most of the stuff is gui based. Not that they all of them are accessible
    from the menu by default. Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager ->
    Network Interface -> Properties -> TCP/IP -> and friends. I'm kind of
    surprised that I remember that. I haven't run windows or worked in windows
    for several years. Half a decade even. The real trick is regedit.exe
    tricks to change your MTU size and stuff. Which varies between versions.

    Why do they keep calling it java when it's really C#+-XYZ? As I look at my
    java game book, and see that almost every I/O call on it has been
    deprecated.

  4. Re: ifconfig equivalent for Windows?

    On 2008-03-12, buck wrote:

    > I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
    > that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
    > frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.
    >
    > The problem is that we have a mixed network of Linux and Windows boxes
    > and my main Linux machine's internal facing NIC is showing
    > RX packets:86272246 errors:3084 dropped:821 overruns:3084 frame:0
    > TX packets:80610778 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:4 carrier:0
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    > RX bytes:4145544363 (3953.4 Mb) TX bytes:3168716203 (3021.9 Mb)
    >
    > and I need to find the Bad Boy that is causing all those overruns.
    > Short of booting a live Linux distro on each Windows box, is there
    > some tool available for detecting the source of the RX overruns?

    Under the Win9x/ME familly: Start/run/winipcfg

    Under NT4, W2K, XP and probably Vista:

    'ipconfig' will get you ip address, subnet mask and default gateway.
    'ipconfig /all' will get you more details (DNS, DHCP, etc...)

    Also, if the machine is configured to use DHCP:
    'ipconfig /release' will release the IP to DHCP
    'ipconfig /renew' will request an address from the DHCP

    Douglas Adams

  5. Re: ifconfig equivalent for Windows?

    On Mar 12, 6:23*pm, Rikishi 42 wrote:
    > On 2008-03-12, buck wrote:
    >

    > > I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
    > > that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
    > > frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.

    > > The problem is that we have a mixed network of Linux and Windows boxes
    > > and my main Linux machine's internal facing NIC is showing
    > > RX packets:86272246 errors:3084 dropped:821 overruns:3084 frame:0
    > > TX packets:80610778 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:4 carrier:0
    > > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    > > RX bytes:4145544363 (3953.4 Mb) *TX bytes:3168716203 (3021.9 Mb)

    > > and I need to find the Bad Boy that is causing all those overruns.
    > > Short of booting a live Linux distro on each Windows box, is there
    > > some tool available for detecting the source of the RX overruns?

    > Under the Win9x/ME familly: Start/run/winipcfg
    >
    > Under NT4, W2K, XP and probably Vista:
    >
    > 'ipconfig' will get you ip address, subnet mask and default gateway.
    > 'ipconfig /all' will get you more details (DNS, DHCP, etc...)
    >
    > Also, if the machine is configured to use DHCP:
    > 'ipconfig /release' will release the IP to DHCP
    > 'ipconfig /renew' will request an address from the DHCP
    >
    > --
    > There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying.
    > The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    > Douglas Adams

    Hey you may want to try the "netsh" commands in windows, this is a
    powerful command line.
    Try "netsh diag adapter 1".........hope this helps

  6. Re: ifconfig equivalent for Windows?

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 12:53:31 -0700 (PDT), jlfarrar@hotmail.com wrote:

    >On Mar 12, 6:23*pm, Rikishi 42 wrote:
    >> On 2008-03-12, buck wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
    >> > that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
    >> > frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.

    >> > The problem is that we have a mixed network of Linux and Windows boxes
    >> > and my main Linux machine's internal facing NIC is showing
    >> > RX packets:86272246 errors:3084 dropped:821 overruns:3084 frame:0
    >> > TX packets:80610778 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:4 carrier:0
    >> > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    >> > RX bytes:4145544363 (3953.4 Mb) *TX bytes:3168716203 (3021.9 Mb)

    >> > and I need to find the Bad Boy that is causing all those overruns.
    >> > Short of booting a live Linux distro on each Windows box, is there
    >> > some tool available for detecting the source of the RX overruns?

    >Hey you may want to try the "netsh" commands in windows, this is a
    >powerful command line.
    >Try "netsh diag adapter 1".........hope this helps

    netsh opens a shell. There is no "diag" and none of the available
    commands looks promising. What version of Windows does this work for?
    --
    buck

  7. Re: ifconfig equivalent for Windows?

    > netsh opens a shell. There is no "diag" and none of the available
    > commands looks promising. What version of Windows does this work for?

    Apparently Vista. I just used netsh for the first time today.

    netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces
    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "1" MTU=576 stored=persistent

    (or something like that)
    I guess that's better than hacking the windows registry to change MTU
    size. But still a bit cryptic and relatively undocumented. I had to
    google from linux to get that gem. Because I couldn't get anything across
    the internet aside from a ping until I made the change. Which is odd
    because it worked fine six months ago when I last booted windows.

  8. Re: ifconfig equivalent for Windows?

    On Mar 12, 2:54 pm, buck wrote:
    > I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
    > that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
    > frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.

    [...]
    > and I need to find the Bad Boy that is causing all those overruns.
    > Short of booting a live Linux distro on each Windows box, is there
    > some tool available for detecting the source of the RX overruns?
    > --
    > buck

    netstat -es

  9. Re: ifconfig equivalent for Windows?

    On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 17:11:08 -0700 (PDT), lawnman@gmail.com wrote:

    >On Mar 12, 2:54 pm, buck wrote:
    >> I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
    >> that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
    >> frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.

    >[...]
    >> and I need to find the Bad Boy that is causing all those overruns.
    >> Short of booting a live Linux distro on each Windows box, is there
    >> some tool available for detecting the source of the RX overruns?
    >> --
    >> buck

    >netstat -es

    YES! That works well enough. Thank you so much.
    --
    buck

+ Reply to Thread