Is Samba running with Ubuntu live CD or DVD? - Networking

This is a discussion on Is Samba running with Ubuntu live CD or DVD? - Networking ; A Linux newbie asks: Is Samba already installed and running after the system boots from a live CD or DVD? If not then are there other flavors of Linux whose live CD or DVD have this capability? Thanks for your ...

  1. Is Samba running with Ubuntu live CD or DVD?

    A Linux newbie asks: Is Samba already installed and running after the
    system boots from a live CD or DVD? If not then are there other flavors
    of Linux whose live CD or DVD have this capability? Thanks for your
    help.

    Previously posted in alt.os.linux.ubuntu with no answer.

    --
    pcbldrNinetyEight

  2. Re: Is Samba running with Ubuntu live CD or DVD?

    pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:
    > A Linux newbie asks: Is Samba already installed and running after the
    > system boots from a live CD or DVD? If not then are there other flavors
    > of Linux whose live CD or DVD have this capability? Thanks for your
    > help.
    >
    > Previously posted in alt.os.linux.ubuntu with no answer.

    No but if you invoke sharing 7.10 or 8.04 will install it.

  3. Re: Is Samba running with Ubuntu live CD or DVD?

    pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:
    > A Linux newbie asks: Is Samba already installed and running after the
    > system boots from a live CD or DVD? If not then are there other flavors
    > of Linux whose live CD or DVD have this capability? Thanks for your
    > help.

    Distrowatch (search for live cds)
    http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Live+CD

    Look for your favourite distro and click, then check under packages.

    Note, unless you're low on swap and RAM, you can easily install Samba in
    Ubuntu during the live session (if it's not included). apt-get install
    samba-common

    I don't use samba, so I can't remember if it comes with the LiveCD.

    --Benjamin Franklin

+ Reply to Thread